Kokos Goldfish Forum
Sign in to follow this  
MexiMike83

Bottom of caudal fin "bent"

Is this normal? She seems to be swimming fine. I think I read on an old thread here that it can be from her sleeping on it wrong. Is this true? When testing my water of late the only thing that was close to high was a nitrate of almost 20. I can get the water tested but it wont be until after my exam.

Hi Mike,

This can happen; I have a couple fish with folded in caudals, and they never sleep on the bottom. Some people have reported snipped off that portion in order to encourage regrowth that's not folded, but it seems like such drastic action to me.

A few years back Roosevelt contracted a really strong strain of fin rot and once we fought it back and new growth occurred on of his caudal lobes grew back in folded. I wouldn't worry honestly, so long as the fin itself is in good condition then it should be fine.

62502d6e.jpg

You can see it folded over in this picture, the lower lobe :)

My Tui has both bottom ones folded. It's not really a problem. I have to resist the urge to unfold it with my fingers but that's about it XD

It's a really common minor fault. If you look through the Goldfish Connection auctions, you'll often see "bend in caudal fin" listed in small letters after the fish description. It doesn't affect the fish though. : )

I was just concerned because I am pretty sure it is a recent development :(

It could be that your fish simply bumped it too hard which caused the outer one to break just enough and heal in a new position. If the fish is acting healthy otherwise I really wouldn't worry.