Kokos Goldfish Forum
Sign in to follow this  
IGH

How can I get my goldfish to breed?

Well i have this set up in my garage.I have a 200 litre tank with all my grown up fish about 15 of them.Then i have a 500 litre pond with about 44 baby orandas(That a brought cuase i havent been able to breed any).Last off i have a 100 litre tub with my 4 breeding orandas i just cant get them to spawn does any one have any tips for me?

You are very overstocked to have 15 fish in a 200 liter and 4 fish in a 100 liter (also very overstocked in the pond). Goldies need a minimum of 55-75 liters a piece.

You will have more luck breeding if you give your fish the space they require and make sure the water quality is good. Do you have a water test kit?

EDIT: Welcome to the forum by the way! :)

It usually happens in spring. Cool water followed by warm water. I suppose you could try to ,anipulate water temps. Not sure.

Thanks for the help .Ye only reason why i got so many fish at the moment is cuase i brought a lot in bulk as there were a few fish i liked in the group and am still trying to get rid of my extras

Welcome to the forum :)

Over here they'll be starting breeding any time now. I'm starting to get some chasing happening in my tanks. With plenty of space you should have no trouble getting them to breed.

Just wondering if your surplus fish are on trademe..?

Hi there yes they are on trademe Thanks I am hopeing to sell all my fish but my 4 breeding orandas.And then get some of those calico lionheads that are on trademe ;D

With a large number of fish in a small container, your fish can spawn nonstop and you won't see any babies. The fish will eat every egg.

They need to be breeding age, first. Then usually you'd start out by feeding them a "conditioning food" (high quality food with good protein & nutrients) for a little while to get them in breeding condition, followed by raising the water temp & then doing water changes to simulate rainfall (usually water change, raise temp, water change). This will sometimes trigger some spawning activity to start. Like already mentioned, though, when keeping a lot of fish, you probably won't see any babies, even if they are spawning. They will eat the eggs and/or fry. You might have better luck following the recommendations listed with a pair you would like to spawn in an appropriately sized breeder tank, with a bunch of java moss for the eggs to stick to. Then after the spawn occurs, remove the parents back to the display tank or pond, and raise the fry in the breeder tank. Bigger tanks and ponds are going to be necessary to keep your fish healthy as adults, though. Fish usually won't spawn unless they are in very good condition- overcrowding sometimes keeps them from spawning. I do not recommend trying to breed fish in your current set-ups, adding more fish as fry would add to the overstocking of the tanks, and I don't know that you would have fry survive in those conditions, even if they somehow didn't get eaten. They are very delicate.

Hello there yes i am going to get some more 100 litre tubs for the fry would that be ok for them with air pumps in?

Put rose petals in the tank and dim the lights! :P