Kokos Goldfish Forum
Sign in to follow this  
JamieMonster

So, it looks like "Buttercup" is a boy...

I initially thought this fish was male, because there are, what looks like, very evident, and very raised breeding stars on the fin rays. I'm not good at judging vents- at all, but, the fish also has the dentin the belly where the fins meet, like described in Helen's tutorial (quite obviously, at that). NO breeding stars on the face, at all. S/he is about 3 yrs old... and a pretty good sized fish.

What made me think this fish was a girl? Oh, just Mack, my 4 year old, very manly moor trying to spawn with this fish... repeatedly.

What makes me think this fish is boy again? Engaging vigorously in the spawning chase and rubbing on the lady fish with the other boys today, when they got all hyped up after 2 days of thunderstorms. S/he had never done that before. Consequently, s/he has also been doing better with floatiness issues these past 2 weeks, and has been swimming much better lately.

So, yep... no clue- but, I think I need to think of a more gender neutral name... which s/he had upon first naming, when I thought s/he was a boy... LOL.

Take a good pic of her vent, Jamie. We can give you input...may be! :rofl

XD I think buttercup is a fine name! I have a cat I call Fluffy....

Hes a boy XD

LOL- thank you. This is about the best I could do- the lighting in the tank is not super bright, and a camera flash washes everything out.

IMAG0209.jpg

IMAG0208.jpg

:rofl. My husband just walked by and said "WHAT are you looking at?!". I just told him he didn't want to know. . ..

I can never tell boy or girl either. So sorry can't help ya there. If I had to guess I'd guess girl. Someone with more knowledge will probably be able to tell as those are good pics!

:rofl. My husband just walked by and said "WHAT are you looking at?!". I just told him he didn't want to know. . ..

I can never tell boy or girl either. So sorry can't help ya there. If I had to guess I'd guess girl. Someone with more knowledge will probably be able to tell as those are good pics!

:rofl :rofl :rofl AWESOME!!!! haha...

Was the answer "Oh, nothing, honey... just a fish's junk..."

Edited by JamieMonster

I would say girl too.... A very masculine girl to be roughing up other girls during spawning XD

Ok, so, so far the vote is girl. I am keeping notes, Hehe. Cool.

Ok, so.. what's the verdict? LOL- Alex, I posted the pics of my fish's backside that you asked for... do they tell you anything? hehe.

It tells us that we are creepers for staring at fishy parts XD

That bottom looks like a lady bottom to me. Oddly enough I don't feel too bad about starting intently at fishy parts.... I think I've done weirder things.

Edited by Hzleys87

It tells us that we are creepers for staring at fishy parts XD

LOL!!! :rofl

That bottom looks like a lady bottom to me. Oddly enough I don't feel too bad about starting intently at fishy parts.... I think I've done weirder things.

Yay- another vote for lady fish. I have also done weirder things. Working with the profoundly disabled opens the doors to alllllllllllll kinds of awkward situations you would never picture yourself in, until you've done it. Fishy parts is pretty mild on that list. :)

Maybe we should start a "The weirdest thing I've ever done" thread . . . Nah, I'm sure we'd quickly get TMI very quickly! :yikes

Maybe we should start a "The weirdest thing I've ever done" thread . . . Nah, I'm sure we'd quickly get TMI very quickly! :yikes

Sounds like a blast! Haha. Definitely will get some WAY tmi stuff... But, It'll probably bro hi-larious! :rofl