Kokos Goldfish Forum
Sign in to follow this  
enesta

Tetra whisper 240 gph vs aquaclear 200 gph

Hey everyone - as a second filter in my tank I have both the tetra ex45 and aquaclear 50 available. I tend to like the aquaclears better, but the whisper has 40 more gph. I'm already at 10x without the second filter though. Any opinions on which direction to go?

AquaClear :D I think they are just way more reliable and I have herd the tetras just die randomly.

Edited by MissColonel

ACs also have more room for media than the Terta's, I believe (never used or seen a Tetra in action, though). It's not entirely about GPH, but also room for the bacteria to grow and colonize, as well :)

ACs also have more room for media than the Terta's, I believe (never used or seen a Tetra in action, though). It's not entirely about GPH, but also room for the bacteria to grow and colonize, as well :)

I have tetra and as long as you use DIY media the tetra can hold about the same. I don't like my tetra though because I have a bare bottom tank and it still has issues occasionally and will be replaced soon with my personal fave the Aqua clears lol

Edited by MissColonel

I've not heard very exciting things about the Tetras lol Now, those $10 AquaTechs from WalMart, those are good, surprisingly! I just finally killed my 6 year old one a couple months ago lol

I love the ACs, but do not like anything smaller than the AC70, because they are all too weak. Remember that you can decrease the flow rate of the AC70 to minimum, at which point you will get maximal polishing of the water. :)

My tetra burnt out in about 7 months and it was no where near quiet! Go for an aquaclear. If you are spending the money anyways why not just get the best? (; If you are already at 10x filtration just go for quality rather than quantity.

I love the ACs, but do not like anything smaller than the AC70, because they are all too weak. Remember that you can decrease the flow rate of the AC70 to minimum, at which point you will get maximal polishing of the water. :)

What do you mean maximal polishing of water? Lower flow is better? I have the AC110 as well.

My tetra burnt out in about 7 months and it was no where near quiet! Go for an aquaclear. If you are spending the money anyways why not just get the best? (; If you are already at 10x filtration just go for quality rather than quantity.

Well I've got both actually! I'll take the whisper out and use the AC50 though (as a second filter) if more GPH isn't that big of a deal.

Edited by enesta

I think you can find this in the AC directions, as well. When you dial down the flow rate, the water actually stays in the filter longer, and therefore gets polished (cleaned) even more. Right now, in my 100g, I have some very small fish, and I don't want to have any accidents with my AC110, so I've dialed the flow rate to the minimum :)

Now I cannot compare to having an AC, but I have several EX, among of them an EX45, and I LOVE these filters. Never had one randomly die on my as claimed, and they are ultra quiet. :)

I do see the advantage in the adjustable flow rate of the ACs though. :)

I have and use both. My Tetra EX45 is used as a secondary filter to a canister. I'm not sure why you need to remove one of them. I understand you have more GPH than you need but it's not going to hurt anything to leave it on there. But if I had a choice I would go with the AC.

Lets just say this.... You get what you pay for... If you by a Cheaper filter you will get one.... Ac filters in my opinion are the best HOB filters on the market for the buck Hands Down! :)