Kokos Goldfish Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Barbra44

Veggies For Goldies

What vegetables can you feed goldfish? :druel

And should I make it routine to feed my goldies Peas once and a while?

Veggies are always good. Frozen peas are good once or twice a week.

Make sure to warm them up, de-skin and cut or lightly mush into bite

size pieces.

Here's a whole list I've tried on my bozos: lettuce (dark

leaf), spinach, cucumber, zucchini, oranges, apples, grapes, bananas,

watermelon, peas, dehydrated seaweed, shrimp, krill, bloodworms,

earthworms(put in paper towel for 2 days to purge the dirt out of their

system). Plus they may like some other things you'd never

think of.

I've even tried pineapple and tangerines. :ymmu

wow that's some list!

I guess I won't try a lemon....... Wouldn't want the fish to 'pucker' up! *waa waa*

Ok... bad joke

*runs away* :rofl

Guest Rowan&Jawz

I feed my goldies clementines. I just drop a slice in the tank and they go crazy. peas are also another food that they love. They like lettuce also. Now I tried a baby carrot sliced in half but the Plecos liked it more than the fishies.

I have noticed the odd house-fly or bug fall into the tank in the summertime. Usually because they are attracted to the tank light. Do you think bugs would be alright? I assume it's ok since most wild lake fish go nuts over them.

Bugs are great if you don't use any insecticides in your house.

Whenever a foolish mosquito tries to bite me in summer, I swat it, and drop it into the goldfish tank. I get my revenge and the goldfish get a tasty snack.

Last summer a funny thing happened. My oak canopy has an opening in the back and somehow a grasshopper got in. All I found was a leg! Imagine the feast the goldfish had!

haha. I can't wait for summer time.

Guest jayde

I've tried cucumber, zuchinni, lettice (almost every kind the grocery has ;) ), spinach, red pepper (sliced extremely thin), and peas.

I've also tried oranges, they love those. :)

Sometimes, I think my goldfish eat better than I do! :lol:

Guest Crystal

Yeah my fish loved the peas & oranges I gave them but when i put cucumber in the tank they thought it was the weirdest thing in the world. They thought I was crazy for putting something like that in there. LOL I cant wait to go back to the store to try some new things on them as long as its small enough for them to not think its Godzilla :rofl:rofl

Do you guys cook the lettuce a little before putting it in the tank? I tried some Romaine lettuce the other day and my fishies were NOT having it!! They showed no interest AT ALL!

Some people cook it a bit in the microwave in a bit of water, or you can freeze it. Either way, it helps break it down a bit and makes it easier for the fish to deal with.

I find that my fish prefer brocolli, cauliflower or zucchini, though. Picky little critters :D

When you put a piece of cucumber in... do you just cut a small slice and let the goldies tear away at it? OR do you cut it up in tiny pieces? I saw a picture somewhere on this site that looked like a big piece of zuchinni anchored down to the bottom of the tank. At first I didn't know what the heck it was.

:lol ! No, I don't know about that, but I think that you should cut it up into little pieces. But, I am not sure.

You can feed your goldfish all sorts of wonderful veggies;

Washed ( No Peticides) Romaine Letteuce, Boiled and Skinned Green Peas,Freeze Dried and Dehydrated Seaweed, boiled soft carrot....The list goes on.

Good luck with the feeding-veggies-to-goldfish

Guest luv my babies

My little ones just love peas!! I've tried brocoli and that didn't go over to well. Califlower was liked by some, but ignored completly Mr. Happy. Going to try carrots next, then maybe some apple.