Pic of the week

Pic of the week poll #14
Sign in to follow this  
dakotak

Ever get laughed at for keeping fish?

51 posts in this topic

I would make fun of someone for spending all of their money on video games and other useless junk like that.

"Oh, you spent 600 dollars on your xbox, equipment and games, just to have it all break after a year? Well I still have my 600 dollars worth of goldfish and equipment... How are you going to get the money you spent on your games back?"

The nerve of some people... Goshh... People probably spend thousands on useless junk and don't even think about getting it back. At least you have a plan!

I would make fun of someone for spending all of their money on video games and other useless junk like that.

"Oh, you spent 600 dollars on your xbox, equipment and games, just to have it all break after a year? Well I still have my 600 dollars worth of goldfish and equipment... How are you going to get the money you spent on your games back?"

The nerve of some people... Goshh... People probably spend thousands on useless junk and don't even think about getting it back. At least you have a plan!

My boyfriend was worried when I first got the tank for 400 bucks. I reminded him how much money he had spent on electronics and how it made him happy so he agreed and dropped it. When he came to see the tank he loved it. I caught him several times staring at my fish. He now wants me to have my own fish room when we move in together and he wants to help me build a huge filtration system. ;)

Soon he will have his own tanks at this rate!! XD

My boyfriend was worried when I first got the tank for 400 bucks. I reminded him how much money he had spent on electronics and how it made him happy so he agreed and dropped it. When he came to see the tank he loved it. I caught him several times staring at my fish. He now wants me to have my own fish room when we move in together and he wants to help me build a huge filtration system. ;)

Soon he will have his own tanks at this rate!! XD

That's awesome! Many people can't let go of the preconceived notion that fish don't matter. I am glad he was open minded!

You definitely handled that confrontation well. If it was me, I would have gone off on a rant and left. It is great that having the goldfish helps with your anger issues. Having mine helps with my anxiety issues. It gives me something important to fuss over, rather than letting the little things I fuss over cloud my mind. They are so amazing! Don't ever let anyone get you down for choosing to invest into something that you love (:

Many, many people laugh at me. Kokos is like my secret ######... I can´t let anyone see I´m reading it.

Well done for staying calm!

I would have asked him what his hobby was, then laughed at him. Hobbies are usually time consuming, expensive and other people don't get it, but they're happy to spend hundreds or thousands on what they deem worth while.

I just tell people I am tring to grow giant goldfish, so they need better care to grow. Most are like realy how do you do that. I tell them that gold fish can live up to 20 years and get close to a foot. even the teens think its cool to try and keep the tank up so the fish will get bigger. My little brother and sisters friends all like to look and compare how much the fish have grown when they visit. Telling people I am trying to grow them in a special way seems to make understandable to most people.

People are often surprised when they hear me talk fondly about my goldies.

Most of them seems to think its silly, but since im a 125kg bodybuilder, they dont say it to my face :)

I really love my little goldfish. :wub:

They make me smile...even on the hard days.

Ok...I love my aquarium...but I love my Xbox also. :) I get equal, although different, enjoyment out of both.

I think I'm very lucky. My friends and family are very interested by my fish, ask about them often and even like to come over to look at them. Twice this summer I had workers at my house and when the guys walked in they stopped in their tracks and said, "wow" when they saw the tank!

I had my daughter (i had to go to work) take my oranda to the vet because it had butternut squash stuck in its mouth. I wait tables a few nights a week and it makes for comical conversation and good tips. The vet also still tells people the story. she enjoyed being able to help my fish. Its up to you where you want to spend your money and what you enjoy! As for trying to kill the betta, I wouldn't have been able to keep my mouth shut!!

Ok...I love my aquarium...but I love my Xbox also. :) I get equal, although different, enjoyment out of both.

Admittedly, I love all of my video games as well (: I just don't understand how people can spend money on stuff like that and judge others on what they spend money on. I wan't trying to say one is stupider than the other, just people have different ideas of worth and no one is worth more than the other (:

Edited by LovelyChaos

The one time my best friend told me she hopes my fish die:/ Also when Bear wasn't looking so well my mom kept telling me she'll just buy me a new fish..like no...I mean I would love for a new fish but I would also love for Bear to be healthy. I love my fishy friends and would be heart broken if anything happened to them..and people don't get that and it sucks:/

Admittedly, I love all of my video games as well (: I just don't understand how people can spend money on stuff like that and judge others on what they spend money on. I wan't trying to say one is stupider than the other, just people have different ideas of worth and no one is worth more than the other (:

Exactly, most people have a hobby or something fun that they spend money on. Just tell them that how you choose to spend your money is none of their business. It's harder when you're young; kids tend to think that anything they're not interested in is stupid, and can't understand why everyone else doesn't think exactly the way they do. By the time you get older most people will have learned to keep their mouths shut. True friends will accept your hobby, and will be happy that it makes you happy. :)

I think its great you kept your cool. I wouldn't spend alot of time and effort trying to convince others why you do it, or why you spend the money. My husband jokes I have spent hundreds and hundreds of dollars trying to keep a $9.00 goldfish alive, but he's teasing me and is supportive. People don't need to know how much anyways, if you are asked that again you can just say "quite a bit", not sure exactly etc. And its your hobby, you don't need to justify it to anyone :)

I think most people just don't get it. After my daughters GF got sick, some of them died and I took the tank care over alot of my friends were like, just let that last one die because I would complain about what hard work it was, changing the water every day waiting for the tank to cycle. But I agree with alot of you a life is a life and what kind of message would I be sending to my daughter if we decided the fishes life was worth less than, say, the dogs. I would say when we brought them home we took on the responsibility of their care and they deserve the best life they can have. People barely glance at the fish, though my sister came to visit recently and she sat and watched them and loved them. Its so upsetting about trying to kill the beta comment.

I don't get laughed at that much, but I think that's probably because only a few people know how serious I am when it comes to this stuff. My boyfriend teases me with it (but I know he secretly loves the goldies), most of my friends don't really pay attention to it, and my best friends always wants to help me carry buckets of water! :)

I think the goldies get laughed at more than me, with their silly eyes and the "brain" on their head. They don't seem to mind though.

Edited by Sinaasappel

I told my boyfriend and a mutual friend of theirs and mine why I have been avoiding them since they both asked. My boyfriend apologized and has since been coming to my house instead of me going over there and the mutual friend was really upset, she also loves fish and has a betta of her own, so it really hit home with her. I had to see them tonight, the first time I have seen them since the horrible words where exchanged and we all kept our distance from each other without causing much conflict.

My boyfriend also teases me but not so much that I get hurt. As long as I don't talk to my fish when he is here he does not mind one bit. XD

It's harder when you're young; kids tend to think that anything they're not interested in is stupid, and can't understand why everyone else doesn't think exactly the way they do. By the time you get older most people will have learned to keep their mouths shut. True friends will accept your hobby, and will be happy that it makes you happy. :)

This is very true. One of the reasons I try and keep my circle of friends older than me, so far it has worked until these two came in. Oh well. Live and learn I guess. :)

I'm glad you have a couple of people who understand (: Luckily, everyone in my family and friends circle knows I am an animal loving freak and don't bother to say anything ^-^ I hope that people stop picking on you. It's tough but it goes away. They get bored eventually. If you don't want to be around them, don't go around them. (;

My boyfriend also teases me but not so much that I get hurt. As long as I don't talk to my fish when he is here he does not mind one bit. XD

That is so funny! I talk to mine all the time when I'm trying to get them to see that I have their food. My hubby is like "honey, are you talking to the fish?", my daughter "mom is talking to the fish again...." :rofl

That is so funny! I talk to mine all the time when I'm trying to get them to see that I have their food. My hubby is like "honey, are you talking to the fish?", my daughter "mom is talking to the fish again...." :rofl

Glad I'm not the only one who does that! My boyfriend doesn't even think it's strange anymore when I start talking to my goldies in a high-pitched voice while feeding them.

"Hiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii fishieeeeeeees!"

I am trying to train my fish to learn their names...so at feeding time it's "Hercule! Hercule!" and "Emma" etc. Sweetie thinks it's hilarious!!

Sorry about the teasing dakotak. I hope it eases up.

mj

Ahh, I dont have patience with people like that, I just turn my back on them and feed my fish, take picture or do WC. Its more productive than explaining to them. And yeah I talk to my fish too, lol. :)

I get it mainly from my family and my class. My younger sister doesn't understand how anyone could ever bond with a fish, she has a pair of lovebirds that she loves to death but the idea of loving a different species that you can't pull out of its environment to play with is alien to her.

In regards to my class mates, I was really excited at the beginning of the year when my custom 700 liter tank came in. He asked me what I'm putting in it and I told him it's an upgrade for my goldfish. He just screwed up his face and said I should get something better. I just laughed it off and asked what's better than a goldfish? (or catfish).

Keep in mind I'm doing an animal care diploma that had a class on care of freshwater fish which was cut because people complained that they didn't want to do it. People talk about their pets a lot and when I mention mine they laugh as if I'm joking.

Though I feel the ridicule comes with goldfish, I have 10 of them and people think I'm wasting my big tank (and future pond). I got an Asian striped catfish the other day and posted a cute little picture of his face on Facebook, instantly I get heaps of likes and the next day in class people are asking about him and telling me how awesome he is.

Most folks don't understand how much goes into this hobby. Most people think (I know I did) that I just get a tank, some fish and some water and I'll be ok. Then you discover that that is the cheap part, then comes the test kits, the meds, the food, the conditioner, the heater, the light fixture, the sand or gravel, the ornaments (oh, hollow ornaments killed or made my fish sick...buy more ornaments), the power strip, sponges to clean the glass, the siphon hose, the bucket, replacement media. And before you know it that $300 tank (that's how much mine was) adds up to six, seven, or even eight-hundred dollars! And that's not including the time you invest learning about it if you want to be a responsible owner because whenever I talk to someone at petsmart I have to just smile and nod. Then run home to kokos and ask the question :lol

I get weird looks and comments when people ask how much I paid for my Orandas from RG. To me it's like getting a pure-bred dog vs getting a mutt from the pound and I have to live with them for the next 10-20 years not them. Anyone pushes it beyond that I tell them to go kick rocks.

I find that people that make fun of us keeping fish are people that don't have any kind of hobby and if they do it's one that don't require them to do much of anything to maintain it. I'm in my late 50's and most of my friend say they don't have time for anything like that but like me most of them are retired and have a hard time being alone because they don't know what to do with themselves. I do find that people that have other hobbies that require time and some money totally understand the passion and the amount of money we put into this hobby.

I am trying to train my fish to learn their names...so at feeding time it's "Hercule! Hercule!" and "Emma" etc. Sweetie thinks it's hilarious!!

Sorry about the teasing dakotak. I hope it eases up.

mj

I told my boyfriend you could train them and he thought I was joking. I showed him how they eat out of my hand and and let me hold them with out thrashing and he believes now. XD

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk 2