Kokos Goldfish Forum
Sign in to follow this  
GoldfishLover!

My winter/spring pond

With some persuasion, have finally swayed our greenhouse to be the winter and spring pond for my goldies :D

Now I can keep my goldies there during the winter and the early spring months to avoid the snow and ground water flooding. Here are the photos, enjoy.

Post06_01.jpg

Post06_02.jpg

Oh wow, awesome! How big is that pond?

Very pretty! :)

Oh cool! How big is it?

Oh wow, awesome! How big is that pond?

Thanks, the two are both 1.5m wide, 3.5m long and 30cm deep.

Very pretty! :)

Thanks.

Oh cool! How big is it?

Thanks, the two are both 1.5m wide, 3.5m long and 30cm deep. Did a lot of digging :D

Whoo that is a lot of digging!

Whooohooo! VERY nice. :D Is there even any room in your yard for more ponds now? XD

Whooohooo! VERY nice. :D Is there even any room in your yard for more ponds now? XD

Ha, there are plenty of room for more fish ponds. But would have to get you to clean them if I ever dug up more ponds :D

You should check out the aquaponics vidoes on Youtube. They use goldfish to make plant food, and plants to clean the water for the fish. Then you could keep the ponds in there and, I don't know, maybe get some more fish for the other pond. ;) Very cool by the way, it'll be nice to sit in there in the winter.

Very nice. More than 400 US gallons each.

woohoo - this looks great! (not scared of getting water into the house?) i love the longness of it - and i think fish will love it even more . very nice work

nice job :)

Thanks.

You should check out the aquaponics vidoes on Youtube. They use goldfish to make plant food, and plants to clean the water for the fish. Then you could keep the ponds in there and, I don't know, maybe get some more fish for the other pond. ;) Very cool by the way, it'll be nice to sit in there in the winter.

Have got some plants in the pond, but not that many. Planning to add more over time.

I always wanted to make a pond in a greenhouse! Super cool!!

Thanks.

Very nice. More than 400 US gallons each.

Thanks.

woohoo - this looks great! (not scared of getting water into the house?) i love the longness of it - and i think fish will love it even more . very nice work

It is next to a garage, and is far from the main house. No basement under the pond. Not worried about flooding other buildings.

Very neat. I too would like to put a pond in a greenhouse. My new backyard would fit one too but husband keeps making comments about his back. . :rest:

Be careful with the plants you choose as some root vegetables like potatoes release nitrogen into the soil which forms ammonia, nitrate, and nitrites. Beans will readily absorb nitrogen from the water so make sure the ratio is more nitrogen eating than nitrogen releasing. :) Looks like a dream yard to me.

Hey, bodoba, I've never heard that about potatoes. Do you know an internet source I can read? It sounds like an interesting process. I don't think potatoes would grow well in an aquaponics, anyway.

Actually, the best aquaponics system for goldfish is a bog filter, where you pump all the pond water through a relatively small growing area, since the nutrients in a healthy goldfish pond are pretty dilute. Those using aquaponics to grow crops are typically fish farmers, growing their fish in very crowded tanks. The water coming out of those tanks is really loaded with nutrients -- practically liquid fish manure. So it can feed plants in extensive grow tanks/tables.

I will get to searching :D , that information is from local people as this is a heavy farming and gardening community and nitrogen leaking is something we try hard to prevent in our soil. My theory is if it releases nitrogen into the soil of a garden it would release nitrogen anywhere the roots will be.

haha found it fast than I thought. I'm half right, legumes are the plants to avoid. http://www.botanical-online.com/english/croprotation.htm

According to that website it's the legumes roots that host nitrifying bacteria that releases nitrogen into the soil. I seem to of confused root vegetables with legumes and for that I apologize. I think potatoes release something into the soil which is why all new gardens here are pure potatoes first and then varied veggies the second year. But I cannot find my old pdf's containing that information. I should just stay mute more often on this website as I am too disorganized to display my information effectively.

You are going to love your greenhouse. I made this one about 10 years ago. Sorry I do not have any pictures of it with the plants and fish in it. It was double wall plastic and extended the season about one month on each side of winter. I sold it when I moved.

NOV12_0007.jpg

Very neat. I too would like to put a pond in a greenhouse. My new backyard would fit one too but husband keeps making comments about his back. . :rest:

ha ha, you can dig a small one yourself.

Hey, bodoba, I've never heard that about potatoes. Do you know an internet source I can read? It sounds like an interesting process. I don't think potatoes would grow well in an aquaponics, anyway.

Actually, the best aquaponics system for goldfish is a bog filter, where you pump all the pond water through a relatively small growing area, since the nutrients in a healthy goldfish pond are pretty dilute. Those using aquaponics to grow crops are typically fish farmers, growing their fish in very crowded tanks. The water coming out of those tanks is really loaded with nutrients -- practically liquid fish manure. So it can feed plants in extensive grow tanks/tables.

bog filter sounds good to me.

I will get to searching :D , that information is from local people as this is a heavy farming and gardening community and nitrogen leaking is something we try hard to prevent in our soil. My theory is if it releases nitrogen into the soil of a garden it would release nitrogen anywhere the roots will be.

interesting theory. Thanks.

haha found it fast than I thought. I'm half right, legumes are the plants to avoid. http://www.botanical...roprotation.htm

According to that website it's the legumes roots that host nitrifying bacteria that releases nitrogen into the soil. I seem to of confused root vegetables with legumes and for that I apologize. I think potatoes release something into the soil which is why all new gardens here are pure potatoes first and then varied veggies the second year. But I cannot find my old pdf's containing that information. I should just stay mute more often on this website as I am too disorganized to display my information effectively.

thanks.

You are going to love your greenhouse. I made this one about 10 years ago. Sorry I do not have any pictures of it with the plants and fish in it. It was double wall plastic and extended the season about one month on each side of winter. I sold it when I moved.

lovely.