Kokos Goldfish Forum
Sign in to follow this  
njubee

not exactly a pond, but what should i call it? well - it's mine :)

Hello all that might be interested :)

I wish I could say I am a proud pondee (hmm, what is the correct term?) and a proud goldfish caretaker, but as I am so freshly new to this stuff I still cant. But I think happy, intrigued, intrested and a bit scared would be correct words. (i just joined yesterday, as one of my goldies got some white spots.. ehwell - so it begins... But here is a happier (hopefully) topic - the "showmeyours" one...)

So it goes. Renovating a house. And an architect (a good friend) said that a pond (ok - maybe you'll tell me what to call it) would be lovely in the garden. And so - it was built. Only afterwards I started to get more interested in the complicated affair that is pond keeping. At first I didn't even think of the fish. Just a little water motif to liven up the garden. But then I started browsing around. First the plants and all the possibilities. I am not a very artistic type - so I can't seem to make things aestetically pleasant by using same plants. So I ordered around 10 different - one of each and planting began. I though I would leave it like that till next year, before I put any fish in (I still haven't moved there, so that would be easyer and it would be wiser and it would give a pond its time to establish. But, of course, the mosquitoes came (and they came big!). And I really didn't want to supply the whole neighborhood with thousands of them, so - the first settlers came. Way to early - the pond was only a month old (but water measurements (i know, i know - strip) didn't show anything drastic, so I felt kindda assured they would be ok.

Only after a first purchase, I started reading more about goldfish. And a whole new world opened up. And wau, was this world large. And confusing. And interesting. And beautifull. And seemed sooooo complicated! .. okok enough already! Back to the water.

So here is the basic. A rectangular inground pond. Cca measurements 2,5m x 1,7m x 1m. Oase 5500 pump in the corner, going through 11W UV lamp to a 30cm waterfall that is falling to an immersed waterbed (a couple of cm out of the water) filled with gravel and plants - that is hoped to work as a filter (any ideas - will it?) There is another submered "waterbed" on the other side (cca 30cm below the surface) with submersed plants. And a lilly - that is not growing that well....

And of course - some pictures. All taken with phone, it shows on quality. There are also two of the fish that developed a couple of small glittery spots. And a couple of whiter scales on the sides that look like they are harmless, just not orange...)

http://s1064.photobucket.com/albums/u380/njubee/

Ok, now I really will stop. Hopefully I didn't bore you to death, but on the other hand - I didn't make you read all of the above :)

And have a nice weekend!

Woow very nice pond!! I like very much. :D

that is some pretty pond :) yes, this world of goldfish is huge, confusing, frustrating, adorable.. down right ridiculous! etc... man how we love it to bits :heart

welcome to kokos :hi nice to meet you! :)

Hey - and good evening to the downunder :)

Thank you both for nice words! Lovely fish you have there Shukura! (and i can only wish to become just one tenth as homey in this goldenworld as you are Stakos!)

It really is a completely new universe out there and that can be kindda scary. Luckyly I only found out about that AFTER I've gotten myself into it :D

sure is a NICE pond................and for "not really a pond" it's nice............I like....... :D

Hey - and good evening to the downunder :)

Thank you both for nice words! Lovely fish you have there Shukura! (and i can only wish to become just one tenth as homey in this goldenworld as you are Stakos!)

It really is a completely new universe out there and that can be kindda scary. Luckyly I only found out about that AFTER I've gotten myself into it :D

:bighug this hobby is nothing but experience.. should you need to not know too much other than the basics, you are fortunate enough to be doing extremely well. the moment you learn for illnesses it's because your fish are forcing you to learn.. (if that makes sense)..

and naturally it's AFTER when one goes hooboy! that's because any sane person would look at the routine that's required and run for the hills :rofl

Thank you Supastar!! :)

Yes, stakos, I think I know what you mean. (keeping my fingers crossed for as many illnesses as possible and asap - so that by the end of the weekend it will all be behind me, and I'll be a fish professor ;) ...

Haha, and, yes, you are correct again - thankfully I learned about all the possible problems after the dive in. Now I am getting ultraworried and paranoid. (my children should really thank all their gods, that I have none - otherwise they would all be locked up in some sterile laboratory bubble)

And I can only hope that some peace will come in time, so I will be able to just enjoy the swimming.

And currently I go feed them everyday afterwork, before driving o my temporary home, and I have no idea where that hour (or two!) go. I only throw in some food, light a cigarette (iknowiknow....) and bam - its almost dark (and i am not even hungry)

Haha, and, yes, you are correct again - thankfully I learned about all the possible problems after the dive in. Now I am getting ultraworried and paranoid. (my children should really thank all their gods, that I have none - otherwise they would all be locked up in some sterile laboratory bubble)

:rofl :rofl

And I can only hope that some peace will come in time, so I will be able to just enjoy the swimming.

indeed you will :)

Very cool, I like the wood planters and overflow box. I also really like that you can view it from inside of your house. Very stylish. :thumb: Welcome to the forum, and good luck. :)

That's not a pond, you're right. Thats a swimming pool! :rofl3

That's really awesome though! Lucky you! How many gallons do you think it is? Bet you could keep some koi in that thing :)

Thanks for the reassuring words!

Haha - swiming pool yes! I wish I had it before - I think I could really do the olympics with couple of weeks training in this thingie! .. But its, sadly (or luckyly - I can't even imagine the worries with those monsters), too small for koi. Its about 4000 liters minus the flower/water/filter-bed, so around 3500 liters. That should be around 900 gallons. Though I never know which gallons are usually used?? So a friend of mine, mr. Googly, says thats cca 900 US galons, but only 750 imerial galons (###### - I hope everyone is using US gallons. I can already feel my poor little fish getting claustrofobic inthere.

An thank you mr.B! (i always loved the flourescent forest spirits :), the positions so near the window was of course also architecht idea - and for that I think I'll have to call hime everyday and thank him :)

900 gallons is still really big. That's a whole lotta goldfish ;)

That's a beautiful pond. It's 1125 US gallons if your measurements are internal, which means it's a perfect goldfish pond. I am surprised by the wood structures in the water. What kind of wood is it? Is it treated to preserve it? I assume this was designed as a water garden rather than a fish pond, but you might ask the builder about whether it was designed to be fish safe. If it was designed for fish, a pond of this size would have a bottom drain and an elaborate filtration system.

With only three fish, your pond doesn't require filtration, but unless those fish are all of the same sex, in a year you may have hundreds. Nothing produces a goldfish population explosion like a small number of fish in a big pond. Normally, the adults eat nearly all of the eggs as fast as they are produced, but with so few adults and so much space, a lot will be overlooked.

Would you test your water (pond and tap) and give us the results? With so few fish in such a big pond, you won't have problems with toxic nitrogen waste -- ammonia and nitrite. The plants will soak up nitrates. My biggest concern is pH. Wood can affect pH, and goldfish have trouble with low pH.

This is a wonderful pond, so just relax and enjoy it. As you learn more about goldfish, you will certainly think about things you want to improve, but your fish look healthy and have lots of water, so they should be fine.

Your pond is beautiful! Great job, and thanks for sharing! :)

Thank you shakaho and dnalex!

Yes, as you correctly stated, it was mostly intended as a watergarden. With just a fish or two in it (but now that i have fallen in. And fallen deep. I dont think I would be able to have just these three (even if it turns out they are all same sex. I am making adoption legal in my gardencountry!)

And it was mostly done by pond non-experts. Although I do trust the woodsman who built the structures, that he chose the right wood for underwater and non toxic to fish. (hopefully!) (and of course i can't remeber now what wood he used) .

And, also of course, it was only after it was bulit, that i have came upon all the possibilities on the how to built a good pond. So - nope - no bottom draining. Or any draining at all ... And no sofisticated filter systems. I still hope that these wooden "gardenbeds"/"filters" will work as a filter. If not, i am buliding an outside bog filter next year...

The last test of pond water (strips) showed no problems with nitrogens. PH was around 8. Most of the gravel is river stones with calcium - so that i think is buliding up the hardness (last time i checked, the combined hardness was 16), which I think it acts like a buffer for PH (ha - how smart this internetz made me! :)

As for number of fish. I kindda like the "only three" goldies look. But on the other haaaand.... Definitely one more shubunkin. And trying to find a nice sarasa comet... I would reallyreally like a wakin/watonai, but these are impossible to get here...

And, shame on me!, i am also playing with the idea of some fancies (again - i would kill for a nice ryukin - but no way i am getting it here, so....)

...And it is strange how thise things work. When I first saw orandas or something simillar on the net (and sometimes even in shops here) I was disgusted! Come on, how can ANYONE keep these hideous mutant frankensteins!?! ....but.... after a little time ..and a couple of more pictures. and videos. and some even live... wau - just how did these cute little elegant funny buggers managed to sneak into my heart?!

(but, winter is a problem here, so....)

eeeeh .. sorry for the long post(s) ... i kindda have an addictive personality and these two months i am manicly obsessing about goldfish (and ponds)...

This is absolutely beautiful!! Thanks for sharing! I wish I had something this beautiful to look at :)

Wow!! I love the look of this pond!!

Thank you both! you really are too kind!

Pretty pretty pretty

:clapping: :clapping: :clapping:

Keep us updated! For someone who claims they cant do aesthetically pleasing, you sure did a wonderful job!

WOOOOOOOW!!! I am in love with your water garden! I want one, now! So, SOOOO pretty! Thanks so much for sharing this. :D

Hey! Thankyou, thankyou! :)

Well, as the construction and the woodwork and the woodpaving wasn't done by me - i only filled with water (and gravel) and planted the plants - I still feel like a cheater in the pondworld (where most of people are diy and they are doing such an amazing job, that makes me want to cry) ... But that way I can at least safely go around the pond barefooted (as there are no crooked rusty nails sticking out) AND the water actually stays in pond (and it doesnt flow into the livingroom - so thats definitely a big plus, and a great reason for me not to do that by myself)

And hopefully it will evolve itself a little bit!

Awesome pond! I love the design!

That is an amazing Pond/water garden :) thanks for sharing :)

Thank you Captain and shellbell! (heehee - and you both have kissing goldies in your avatar :) ..

sorry for the tooquick update... as mentioned before - i am still (too) excited about this pond thingie happening to me. (and after seeing pictures and videos of some of your lovely fish - now i wish for aqarium again :) a bit envious that you can enjoy them in full and from so close ..

AND catching them so easyly. today i spent an hour with a net in the water and all that time i had pictures in my head, how it seems that any other fish i see here so gladly jumps into ones hand for examination. you all make it look so easy - like you just put your hand in aquarium (or pond) and the fish you want, just swims to you "thank god i dont need to swim anymore - here is a hand i can rest on" .. but mine little mindreading buggers, noooooo way! i used the same net i use for leaves and other stuff on the surface. and when i am cleaning, they almost play with the net. the second i put the net in for catching, the exact one i wanted dissapeared. it seemed like she discovered the pond for the first time. everything on the floor was so interesting to her. "o, look, a stone - lets upt that into my mouth... oooh - look, a poo - looks delicious.. oooh look a little pebble. i am not sure i tried that one before....

reallyreally strange. and tireing. andwhen i finely held her in my hand - i think i died a little. i never want to put this, now seriously in-need-of-therapy-paranoid poor little fella throught that again. and myself.

and in the meantime i made a (bad) movie, hoping that some of the white spots would show (of course they dont...) but they look so lively. after a bit of feeding of course.

by the way, is that "normal": when i came to check them after a weekend all by themselves (i think i heard them singing celine dion through the window - not sure, the insulation is too good), i checked on them from the inside at first, shubunkin was nowhere to be seen and the two goldies were swimming very slowly at the middle depth, sometimes not moving at all - just chatting about the weather, stock market, youth these days, the usual . but after i came to the garde nad they heard me, they "woke up" - "he's coming, quick, dont act fishy! oh nono - do act fishy!" .. or were they just hungry?

(sorry for the long one again... am a bit tired)

http://s1064.photobucket.com/albums/u380/njubee/justfish208/?action=view&current=129f58e6.mp4