Kokos Goldfish Forum
Sign in to follow this  
LovelyChaos

FISH GOT STUCK IN GRAVEL CLEANER BLOOD AND EYE DAMAGE OMG OMG

WHAT DO I DO?? I DON'T KNOW WHAT TO DO PLEASE SOMEONE HELP

Hello,

I understand it's an emergency, but we need a bit more info on that, including this

Test Results for the Following:
  • * Ammonia Level
  • * Nitrite Level
  • * Nitrate level
  • * Ph Level, Tank (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines)
  • * Ph Level, Tap (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines)
    Other Required Info:
  • * Brand of test-kit used and whether strips or drops?
  • * Water temperature?
  • * Tank size (how many gals.) and how long has it been running?
  • * What is the name and "size of the filter"(s)?
  • * How often do you change the water and how much?
  • * How many days ago was the last water change and how much did you change?

• * How many fish in the tank and their size?
  • * What kind of water additives or conditioners?
  • * What do you feed your fish and how often?
  • * Any new fish added to the tank?
  • * Any medications added to the tank?
  • * List previous issues experienced (dropsy, SBD, etc.)
  • * List entire medication/treatment history for fish and tank. Please include salt, Prazi, PP, etc and the approximate time and duration of treatment.
  • * Any unusual findings on the fish such as "grains of salt," bloody streaks, frayed fins or fungus?
  • * Any unusual behavior like staying at the bottom, not eating, etc.?

As well as some visuals, if possible.

Don't panic. Let's keep calm and try to work this out, OK?

I'M ON THE VERGE OF HYSTERICS HIS EYE IS LIKE FALLING OFF AND I DON'T KNOW WHAT TO DO. I MOVED HIM TO KEEP OTHERS FROM PICKING ON HIM )))):

I know it's hard..........but stay Calm,

they will help you through this................

B R E A T H E........................... :D

I'M ON THE VERGE OF HYSTERICS HIS EYE IS LIKE FALLING OFF AND I DON'T KNOW WHAT TO DO. I MOVED HIM TO KEEP OTHERS FROM PICKING ON HIM )))):

That's fine that you moved him, but as I put above, we need a bit more info to be able to assess what's going on. In order to do that, please try to keep calm and help us help you. Take some deep breaths.

Also, I understand that this is an emergency, and you posted in the right sub-forum. However, it is really difficult for me to read when all the words are in all caps. It also is really distracting. So, please type normally. You have my full attention :)

• * Ammonia Level 1.5
  • * Nitrite Level 1.0
  • * Nitrate level 20
  • * Ph Level, Tank (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines) 8.0, water hardness at 50
  • * Ph Level, Tap (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines) 8.4
    Other Required Info:
  • * Brand of test-kit used and whether strips or drops? strips
  • * Water temperature? 78
  • * Tank size (how many gals.) and how long has it been running? 55, 2 weeks
  • * What is the name and "size of the filter"(s)? 2x marineland penguin 350
  • * How often do you change the water and how much? twice a week, half
  • * How many days ago was the last water change and how much did you change? today and he got stuck )':

• * How many fish in the tank and their size? 5, 3 under 2 inches. 2 2-3 inches
  • * What kind of water additives or conditioners? Seachem prime 5X for nitrites and ammonia
  • * What do you feed your fish and how often? goldfish flakes of some sort once
  • * Any new fish added to the tank? no
  • * Any medications added to the tank? no
  • * List previous issues experienced (dropsy, SBD, etc.) none
  • * List entire medication/treatment history for fish and tank. Please include salt, Prazi, PP, etc and the approximate time and duration of treatment.
  • * Any unusual findings on the fish such as "grains of salt," bloody streaks, frayed fins or fungus? no
  • * Any unusual behavior like staying at the bottom, not eating, etc.? no

Help me ):

DSCN1389.jpg

DSCN1390.jpg

I cant really run out anywhere but walmart so if there is something i need to get i need to know asap

Where did you move him to? How big is the tank/tub that you moved him into? Is there a filter running on it? Air stones?

What are your tap ammonia, nitrite and nitrate readings?

I would like to put him in some salt for now, but this cannot be done if ammonia and nitrites are that high.

I would like to get back and discuss the parameters in your 55 once we get things going with the injured fish, but the levels you have are extremely dangerous, even with 5x Prime.

He is still swimming around... I feel so guilty I looked away for like a minute and it got this bad......

Where did you move him to? How big is the tank/tub that you moved him into? Is there a filter running on it? Air stones?

What are your tap ammonia, nitrite and nitrate readings?

I would like to put him in some salt for now, but this cannot be done if ammonia and nitrites are that high.

I would like to get back and discuss the parameters in your 55 once we get things going with the injured fish, but the levels you have are extremely dangerous, even with 5x Prime.

I know, which is why I was doing a water change when this happened... I have been trying to keep this under control. Its a 9.4L tub, my quarantine 10 gallon isn't fully cleaned yet. I use this tub for water changes and holding. No filter no airstones. I think his water reading should be different. I will check right now.

He is still swimming around... I feel so guilty I looked away for like a minute and it got this bad......

I'm glad he's swimming around. This bodes well. As soon as you give me more info on his isolation tank and the tap water situation, we can devise a plan.

As for the siphon, most of us cover it with some sort of mesh, so that this doesn't happen. A lot of us have been there though, so we understand completely how you feel.

Ok the nitrates and nitrites are 0. I think my ammonia strips are messed up and not even reading it.

Just did an ammonia test, the isolation is at 0. This is just tap water with some prime in it so those are also my tap readings.

Edited by LovelyChaos

He isn't using his damaged fin at all, and his eye is just kind of hanging out \:

What did you move him/her into, and how much water does it hold?

What did you move him/her into, and how much water does it hold?

It is a 10qt pale that I got for water changes. It has only held fish and water, no chemicals at all. I can speed clean a 10 gallon but I still don't have a filter or money for a filter right now \:

The only extra filter I have is a 3 gallon \: Otherwise I only have the 2 marinelands, and a very very dirty god knows how old 10 gallon filter. I might be able to get an aerator... Maybe... I have to check how much money I have.

Edited by LovelyChaos

The 10 gallon is perfect, and the small filter is fine, as long as you have at least one airstone to run in the tank as well.

Here is what I would like for you to do tonight and tomorrow:

1. Set up 10 gallon with small filter and airstone.

2. Add double dose Prime

3. Dissolve and add 9 level teaspoons of aquarium salt to the QT tank. This is 0.1%. I will ask you to add more tomorrow, but for now, that's sufficient.

4. Add fish

5. This tank does not need a light, nor does it need to be somewhere bright. The idea is to keep things nice and quiet and dark to help him de-stress

6. Tomorrow, go and see what broad spectrum antibiotic is available from your LFS. If you can, get it. We may need to treat to prevent infections from taking place.

7. Tomorrow, you will need to change about 20% of the water every 2 hours. Each time you do that, dissolve and add back 1.75 teaspoons of salt to the tank to keep it at 0.1% salinity. You will also need to be able to get your ammonia reading to work. There can be no toxic chemicals in the tank while the fish is healing.

Let us know how goes, please.

I'm also in Albany, OR don't panic, the people here are great at helping with emergencies. Do you know about the LFS, all for fish? He has a very good selection of things you might need, medicine and such and he will be open in the morning. I am willing to help you get a filter for your tank. Walmart is very close and I could meet you there tomorrow to get a filter. The one they have is the one I use on my 10gal qt. just let me know what you want help with and I'll do it. Jaime

I'm also in Albany, OR don't panic, the people here are great at helping with emergencies. Do you know about the LFS, all for fish? He has a very good selection of things you might need, medicine and such and he will be open in the morning. I am willing to help you get a filter for your tank. Walmart is very close and I could meet you there tomorrow to get a filter. The one they have is the one I use on my 10gal qt. just let me know what you want help with and I'll do it. Jaime

Jaime, that's really super amazing of you, and just goes to show that our forum cannot be beat in terms of the quality of its members!

The 10 gallon is perfect, and the small filter is fine, as long as you have at least one airstone to run in the tank as well.

Here is what I would like for you to do tonight and tomorrow:

1. Set up 10 gallon with small filter and airstone.

2. Add double dose Prime

3. Dissolve and add 9 level teaspoons of aquarium salt to the QT tank. This is 0.1%. I will ask you to add more tomorrow, but for now, that's sufficient.

4. Add fish

5. This tank does not need a light, nor does it need to be somewhere bright. The idea is to keep things nice and quiet and dark to help him de-stress

6. Tomorrow, go and see what broad spectrum antibiotic is available from your LFS. If you can, get it. We may need to treat to prevent infections from taking place.

7. Tomorrow, you will need to change about 20% of the water every 2 hours. Each time you do that, dissolve and add back 1.75 teaspoons of salt to the tank to keep it at 0.1% salinity. You will also need to be able to get your ammonia reading to work. There can be no toxic chemicals in the tank while the fish is healing.

Let us know how goes, please.

Ok... Ok...... I checked again, looks like I can do this. I can get a cheaper 10 gallon filter... What kind of salt? All I have is walmart open right now, I don't think they have aquarium salt. Can I use an air pump? I don't have any airstones or anywhere to get them... I can get the antibiotics tomorrow. Ammonia is at 0. I retested with API drop test

Thank you so much you have no idea how much i appreciate the gesture... I just checked my funds again and I should be able to get what I need. You are such an amazing person you have no idea how much I appreciate the offer.

What can I get instead of aquarium salt and an airstone? Can I use an air pump of any size?

Perfect! If you go to Walmart, head to the salt section. There you will find Morton's Canning & Pickling salt. It comes in a 4 pound green and blue box for about $2. That's what you want, and is cheaper than any aquarium salt you will find. If you have an airpump, then you are good. If you can pick up an airstone at Walmart, that's great. :)

Go ahead and get the filter, but I don't want you to run it tonight, in case the fish is too weak. Let's assess how things are in the morning before running the filter. That's why airstone hooked to air pump is good for tonight, since it gives aeration, but won't pose a danger of sucking the fish to the intake.

They don't have airstones and i dont have an air pump but i will grab one thank you so much brb

aaaww hun, i am so sorry this happened. good to see you have calmed down, i know how shocking it is, i've had this accident happen too. now that you have calmed a little, you will find everything will run smoothly and at a nice pace for you. hugs :heart