Kokos Goldfish Forum
Sign in to follow this  
LovelyChaos

Potting lucky bamboo in aquarium?

I would like to use terra cotta pots to plant my lucky bamboo so the leaves come out of the water. Where can I find relatively inexpensive pots? I need like 2-3. My bamboo is just normal small curly branches. Nothing special.

I would like to use terra cotta pots to plant my lucky bamboo so the leaves come out of the water. Where can I find relatively inexpensive pots? I need like 2-3. My bamboo is just normal small curly branches. Nothing special.

Try the dollar store. Or Fredies.... Generally those are the least expensive I have seen in Oregon.... just make sure it isnt glossy at all :)

And I ask here because I don't want to buy something from somewhere that could poison my fish

Try the dollar store. Or Fredies.... Generally those are the least expensive I have seen in Oregon.... just make sure it isnt glossy at all :)

Oh yeah! You are a fellow Oregonian. I forgot about the dollar store completely... oops. Freddies is a little too expensive to just be submerged in water hah. Thank you!

walmart usually has little plain terracotta pots too :)

I have my bamboo is my HOB. It is doing great.

me too

... |: forgive my newbieness.... What is HOB?

HOB = hang on back filter (like an AquaClear).

That's really cool! How do you set the bamboo up in the AC, so that it grows well?

That's really cool! How do you set the bamboo up in the AC, so that it grows well?

I believe you put it in the back part of the filter, where most of the media is held. It can pretty much go anywhere as long as its leaves are out of the water

I have my lucky bamboo, and other plants in my betta tank~~~the lucky bamboo I have where the hob hangs............have a small in tank filter, a moss ball, and some other plants that will do well directly in the water as long as the leaves are not submerged......I will have to take pics of it, I think it looks good !................ :D

I have my lucky bamboo, and other plants in my betta tank~~~the lucky bamboo I have where the hob hangs............have a small in tank filter, a moss ball, and some other plants that will do well directly in the water as long as the leaves are not submerged......I will have to take pics of it, I think it looks good !................ :D

Do post! (:

Agreed we need a pic of this tank pretty please ;)

I have a freezer basket that fits perfectly on the top of my ten gallons. That way I can put the bamboo shoots between the slots. I just made sure there was no cracks in the plastic coated wire before using it as I didn't want rust to leak into my tank.

I have a freezer basket that fits perfectly on the top of my ten gallons. That way I can put the bamboo shoots between the slots. I just made sure there was no cracks in the plastic coated wire before using it as I didn't want rust to leak into my tank.

That is smart! I wouldn't have ever thought to do that!

That is smart! I wouldn't have ever thought to do that!

Me either............... :D

A lot of you guys seem to have lucky bamboo in your tanks; how does it do with aquarium salt?

A lot of you guys seem to have lucky bamboo in your tanks; how does it do with aquarium salt?

Just please keep in mind that these plants are not fully aquatic, and should really have leaves above the water. If they are fully submerged, you should watch for rotting leaves and remove them when that happens.

Having said that, a number of people have had some success with keeping them in the tank for months.

Here's how I had my Lucky Bamboo in pots in the tanks before: http://gardenartistics.com/container-gardening-in-fish-aquariums/.

They're in the HOBs now (I'll take a picture later today if you'd like).

I got my pots at Michaels Arts and Crafts; they have lots of different sizes.

Mine is in the oscar HOB and I have not had the need to do salt but one time to help Willow heal. They did fine. Didn't bother the plants at all.

Lucky Bamboo we see in stores are not an aquatic plant. They can not be submerged, even if the leaves are above the water surface. The stalks will slowly rot. They only need an inch or two to just cover the roots. The rest of the stalks must be dry. To properly have Lucky Bamboo in aquariums, they must be an inch to two into the water...no more than that. There are various ways to place them at the top of the tanks, but the roots need to be covered. What I use is a small internal Whisper filter powered by airline. Remove the flap top and insert the Lucky Bamboo snuggly to fit. The size, length and weight of the Lucky Bamboo are dependent on the size of the container and suctioncups. Slide the container all the way to the top of the tank's trim. Use a small air pump and attach the airline in order to keep the water flowing inside the container and deliver nutrients to the roots. Do not...not now, not ever...buy a large and tall Lucky Bamboo for placement in the tank which roots is at the bottom of tank and stalk covered with 10+ inches of water. The stalks will slowly rot despite the fact that leaves may be above the water.

Lucky Bamboo we see in stores are not an aquatic plant. They can not be submerged, even if the leaves are above the water surface. The stalks will slowly rot. They only need an inch or two to just cover the roots. The rest of the stalks must be dry. To properly have Lucky Bamboo in aquariums, they must be an inch to two into the water...no more than that. There are various ways to place them at the top of the tanks, but the roots need to be covered. What I use is a small internal Whisper filter powered by airline. Remove the flap top and insert the Lucky Bamboo snuggly to fit. The size, length and weight of the Lucky Bamboo are dependent on the size of the container and suctioncups. Slide the container all the way to the top of the tank's trim. Use a small air pump and attach the airline in order to keep the water flowing inside the container and deliver nutrients to the roots. Do not...not now, not ever...buy a large and tall Lucky Bamboo for placement in the tank which roots is at the bottom of tank and stalk covered with 10+ inches of water. The stalks will slowly rot despite the fact that leaves may be above the water.

Thunder, this is not quite correct. The leaves of these bamboos cannot be submerged. Otherwise, they are fine. My mom has had some of her bamboos going for more than ten years, and there is water than that in the containers. :)

Alex, can you show pix? I've read a lot and sold them at my flea market business for a while. I've tried them with stalks fully submerged and they slowly got soft and rotted

Edited by THUNDER

http://nevadagardens.com/StarNursery/page01/Tip%201048.htm

Dracaena Sanderiana is sensitive to water that is high in fluoride or chlorine. Is it possible that the water you were using was high in either of those chemicals? Mine sit in my hob and they've been fine. There has been no info to suggest bamboo can't grow with stalks submerged, it is only suggested that they should have 1-2 inches of water to prevent the roots from popping out in weird places.