Sign in to follow this  
Helen

Sexing Goldfish

18 posts in this topic

i just giggled at the topic tags :rofl

ok.. much has been asked about how to sex goldfish. this is my view on how to tell male from female and visa versa..

male:

breeding stars on pectorial fins as well as on gill plates, around eyes and sometimes all over the head. the pectorial fins of a male, on top are rather thick so they can carry their manlihood with pride :rofl

9c765449.jpg

5aad50a7.jpg

this guy, he's got breeding stars only on pec fins. sometimes breeding stars can be seen on his gill plates, but most often, he displays them only on his pec fins:

508e145f.jpg

the vent of the male goldfish:

notice that it's smaller and taller.

45c5de7c.jpg

08f81a04.jpg

the female.

her pectorial fins on top are thinner and there are no breeding stars:

03d6c76b.jpg

e7619d13.jpg

b5510420.jpg

the female goldfish vent:

notice how it's wider, stretched like more of a circle or in this instance, kinda like a triangle or diamond?

642a0688.jpg

7f20a6c6.jpg

you can also tell the difference between a male and female goldfish when they're turned upside down by their bellies between the ventral fins and how they are attached to their bodies.

normally on the male goldfish, the space between the ventral fins is slightly more concave. on a female, it's quite full and round. the male in that area tends to be thinner where the female can carry a rather lovely and smooth belly. if you go back to the belly pictures i posted above you will notice the difference i mention here.

hope this helps a few members to be able to sex your goldfish with ease :)

happy sexing! :rofl

Click here to view the article

Very nicely done I love how beutiful and detailed the photos are and the facts :D Castor is my only undicided and I am starting to leah towards girl since certain angles look like a outtie vent lol.

Nice work, Helen!

This is awesome Helen!! This would have helped me out so much when I was first trying to sex my fish lol. Its always hard to tell just by what people are telling you. Pictures always make it easier. Great post :)

guess what I just did Helen??....I held my gold fish to sex them..............and YEP...........both are girls...............

when button gets a lot bigger.............I will sex h/she too !!

good post! we should pin this one :)

Thanks.

Off topic, but that first fish is gorgeous.

Very nicely done I love how beutiful and detailed the photos are and the facts :D Castor is my only undicided and I am starting to leah towards girl since certain angles look like a outtie vent lol.

thanks hun :)

Nice work, Helen!

thank you Alex :)

This is awesome Helen!! This would have helped me out so much when I was first trying to sex my fish lol. Its always hard to tell just by what people are telling you. Pictures always make it easier. Great post :)

aawww thank you!, i have been meaning to do this for a while. i am the kind of person that needs pics to learn too :)

guess what I just did Helen??....I held my gold fish to sex them..............and YEP...........both are girls...............

when button gets a lot bigger.............I will sex h/she too !!

glad this helped hun! :heart and i am so happy you were able to handle your fish.. squirmy little buggers eh? :rofl

good post! we should pin this one :)

thanks hun!.. i will check with shay if it's worth pinning as there are other topics of the same :)

Thanks.

Off topic, but that first fish is gorgeous.

i really like him too!.. he has a disability tho.. the poor thing cannot rest upright. he's always flat on his side in the tank and only comes up good for food or if there is something happening.. so i snap photos of him when he's active. eats and swims well, but he just can't stay upright. this happened just after the first spawn. i wonder if he injured himself during the big chase.. silly boys :heart

That was so awesome, very helpful. Thank you :)

That was so awesome, very helpful. Thank you :)

You're very welcome hun :)

Helen, this is wonderful!! Great job, thanks a ton for making this! I will Try to determine the sex of Bert and Norton today (though I think both are girls :doh11: fail. )

Helen, this is wonderful!! Great job, thanks a ton for making this! I will Try to determine the sex of Bert and Norton today (though I think both are girls :doh11: fail. )

no problems hun.. i wish healthy gendering to your goldies and a lot of naaawww, dawwww.. oooooh... aaaaahhhh's :rofl

Very well done Helen :) next w/c I will be flipping my fish ;) lol

Very HELPFUL! I went over to check my fish, and they saw me and all started doing to feed me dance. I'll have to wait until after breakfast I guess. Thanks,Helen.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using Tapatalk 2

Very well done Helen :) next w/c I will be flipping my fish ;) lol

how did you manage shelly? have you determined genders yet? thank you for your compliments :D

Very HELPFUL! I went over to check my fish, and they saw me and all started doing to feed me dance. I'll have to wait until after breakfast I guess. Thanks,Helen.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using Tapatalk 2

thank you MJ! i hope you find what you initially expected! total goofballs! :rofl

So if the vent is right up in between/ closer to the anal fins, would that indicate girl?

typically yes. but there have been threats of gender benders.. so we go more for the shape of the vent and wether they have thin or thick pectorial fins mainly.