Kokos Goldfish Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Cyprinidae

Building A "Raccoon Proof" Pond

So right now I am working on designing my new pond! I know it is practically impossible to build a truly raccoon proof pond, but I want to come as close s possible without keeping a net over it all the time. I would like to make the most raccoon proof design I can. The pond will be roughly 8x6 (it is not square) and 3.5 feet deep in the middle. I will put in painted cinder block hideouts and water lillys. Around the edge it is 2.5 feet deep (then it drops to 3.5 in the middle). Raccoons probably won't go in if they have to swim, and they grow up to 28" tall. Right now my design has a small shallow area that is 1.5' deep, is that a bad idea? I was planning to cover the shallow spot with water lilies to give the young fish some cover.

Should I add a 3' deep submerged moat around the rest of the pond?

Any ideas about coon-proofing this pond?

Thanks!

-Cyprinidae

Oh! And if possible I would like to avoid electricity!

I would say a tall wall around it would probably be the best to make it racoon proof (at least as far as I can imagine), but this could probably bring other problems with it. Other smaller critters sometimes fall into ponds, like squirrels, chipmunks and even birds, and these drown if they will not get out. For those it probably would be a good idea to have some sort of small land masses in the center of the pond (like stacked cinder blocks for the critter to climb onto), on which they can seek refuge until you find them and can catch/release them.

Without electricity, I assume you mean no pond filter? I might be wrong, but I would guess that the water would become stagnant in a "small goldfish pond" like this after a while if there is absolutely no water movement. Even without an actual filter, I'd at least have a pond pump with a fountain running to move the water and aerate it.

I am sure shakaho will chime in soon. She is the ultra expert when it comes to goldfish ponds :D :D

Edited by Oerba Yun Fang

Racoons could climb the wall :(

I think I will stay away from the wall because I don't really want islands since that makes it easier for other animals to fish.

By no electricity I mean no electric fence, I intend to add a filter and aerator.

I've never had a critter (other than bugs) drown in my ponds. If you have plants, they can climb up them. Raccoons can climb up walls, but if the water inside the wall is deep enough, all they can do is snatch fish that are dumb enoughcome to the surface in their vicinity. If the wall is narrow, even trying to fish from the top is uncomfortable.

Depth is you best protection from 'coons, but you want it deep right at the edge. Lily pads or other plant cover can keep predators from noticing your fish. Once they realize tasty fish are there, predators are quite smart enough to find them under the plants.

Thank you, I will definitely keep that in mind!