Sign in to follow this  
Guest Mike and Linda

What other Staple Foods can I use Besides Pellets or Mazuri gel

103 posts in this topic

Actually, please do keep us updated of progress. You don't have to wait until after the 2 weeks are over to update. :)

Guest Mike and Linda

I will let you know as I go along. Thanks

I will let you know as I go along. Thanks

Yes please let us know, this isnt a normal float to me. I agree lets clean him out, then re asses the issue.... Keep up the videos to if you can :)

Guest Mike and Linda

Just to let you know that my Oranda has been bottom sitting since I put him into the 10g it has been almost one day and a half. I have not fed him anything. He does not even respond when i go to the tank.

Edited by Mike and Linda

What's with all the gel? I feed my goldies Omega One Goldfish Pellets and they do fine, whether they eat the pellets as they float or as they're sinking. They also eat some flake food, but that's about it. I feed them peas, daphnia, bloodworms, and baby brine shrimp every now and again as a treat as well.

What's with all the gel? I feed my goldies Omega One Goldfish Pellets and they do fine, whether they eat the pellets as they float or as they're sinking. They also eat some flake food, but that's about it. I feed them peas, daphnia, bloodworms, and baby brine shrimp every now and again as a treat as well.

Many people on this site make their own gel food and recently a few members have found allen repashy's site which is a form of gel food that seems to be favorable amoungst many. You can find all the info searching through the goldfish food subforum :)

Just to let you know that my Oranda has been bottom sitting since I put him into the 10g it has been almost one day and a half. I have not fed him anything. He does not even respond when i go to the tank.

What are the tank parameters?

Try to feed him some Repashy gel.

If he does not eat let me know right away please.

Guest Mike and Linda

I will when I get home. He might just be depressed also. He has always been with other fish. Now he is by himself without food.

Guest Mike and Linda

Yes he did eat. His water parameters are good also. I did not give him much food.

Edited by Mike and Linda

Many people on this site make their own gel food and recently a few members have found allen repashy's site which is a form of gel food that seems to be favorable amoungst many. You can find all the info searching through the goldfish food subforum :)

Oh, thank you! I'll definitely check that out. :)

Yes he did eat. His water parameters are good also. I did not give him much food.

Oh, fantastic! Give him just a little every day, and then after several days a little more.

We want to slowly purge his system of remnants of old food and replace it with Repashy. Hopefully, this will be all you'll need to do! :)

Guest Mike and Linda

My calico oranda seems fine right now. He is not in a floaty mode. Since I am switching over repashy gel I was planning on this menu.

Mon. Brime, soilent grn

Tue. meat pie, soilent grn

Wed. blood worms, soilent grn

Th, shrimp souffle, soilent grn

Fr. krill, soilent grn

Sa. community plus, soilent grn

All the foods except for the frozen are from repashy. Would this be an ok diet for goldfish? Should I change anything. I like to have a planned menu for my fish.

Looks good. The daily soilent green is a smart plan :)

Guest Mike and Linda

My Oranda seems to be doing much better in the 10g. When he was in my 40g breeder he was really floaty but in the 10g he is doing great.

Could there be something with the tank that would cause the floatyness. I am starting to notice when my goldies are in smaller and shorter tanks they better for some reason.

Shorter in terms of height is always better for goldfish.

I'm glad he is doing much better. Keep him in there at least for a little while! :)

Guest Mike and Linda

I will keep him there. My breeder tanks are only 16 inches high. I noticed that most of my goldfish do better in 12 inch high tanks.

Shorter height tanks are definitely better!

Guest Mike and Linda

My oranda has been at the top for 3 hrs straight. He is starting to get floaty again. All I feed is repashy gel. Small amounts. What causes them to stay at the top for such long periods. He is getting my other fish to start.

Is he getting floaty, or is he just gulping at the top? May I have a video of this, please?

Guest Mike and Linda

He was not floaty all day but he is starting to get floaty now after staying at the top. When he is at the top he is straight up. The lights are off and I am not home right now. He seems to be just sipping the water slowly

Guest Mike and Linda

He was good until I fed him

When you get a chance, please post a video.

Thanks, Mike.

Guest Mike and Linda

Today my oranda is not bad. This is a video of what he does when he is at the top.

http://youtu.be/KLUOlfpJifM

I was just curious his vent hole is off to one side and not in the middle like it should be. Could this be an issue?

Edited by Mike and Linda

Guest Mike and Linda

I have been noticing that alot more of my fish are getting very floaty on this new gel food. They are constantly hanging at the top sipping the water.

That's really strange. None of my fish really go to the top of the water column much, except after meals.

If they are doing that, then switch.