Sign in to follow this  
Guest Mike and Linda

What other Staple Foods can I use Besides Pellets or Mazuri gel

103 posts in this topic

There is a soilent green review in the Products review section. There is a video showing how I make it and cut it up, and how much I feed. It might be worth watching first, and then we can discuss.

Guest Mike and Linda

I feed about two pieces 4 mm square.

How big is your fish, and I don't think you answered my question earlier: did you fast your fish for 3 days? It's really important, because if he is still stuffed with food, you are just going to make the situation worse no matter the food you now feed.

Guest Mike and Linda

I did fast him. My Oranda is about 2 inches long.

That's way too much food in one setting. Try one of those cubes for now, but now let's fast him again until he stops being floaty.

Guest Mike and Linda

ok. He was fine until he decided to stay at the top of the tank. In a couple of hours he will be ok. What causes bin to stay at the top of the tank.

Guest Mike and Linda

I think that he wants more food is why he hangs around the top. He is the only one that hangs around.

I think that he wants more food is why he hangs around the top. He is the only one that hangs around.

He will want more food anywhere he is in the tank. He is at the top because: 1) a lot of fish will do this after food, especially if they have been fed pellets and flakes before, and 2) he may try to grab some air to his swim bladder or out.

Guest Mike and Linda

My fish only get pellets once a week and no flakes. The last thing he ate was soilent green.

I could just cut the 4mm gel into two pieces.

Edited by Mike and Linda

Some times fish will do this to clear there Gills. Remember there chewing area is right behind there gills. So if any parts of the food get in the gills they will go to the top, grab a bunch of air and then you will see them burp it out. Myng does this once in a while (once a week or so)..

You have an air stone in there? if so does this fish play in it?

Guest Mike and Linda

I just use a sponge filter for the bubbles.

Guest Mike and Linda

I gave him smaller pieces tonight and I will see what happens

Guest Mike and Linda

I know that the video says that you can freeze this gel for up to one year. It can stay in the fridge for two weeks.

So far I made Soilent green, community plus, and meat pie.

I have tried the soilent green and community plus on my goldies and they like both.

I will buy my repashy probably in 32 oz bags. I will buy 4 types so with shipping that would cost me $195.00 which is about $1.52 per oz

I want to see how long the 2 oz would last me then I will know how much to buy. I have 4 2 oz bags.

Edited by Mike and Linda

Mike, even though you can freeze up to that long, I would avoid freezing (at all if possible) or for a long time (more than a month). The powder itself will last for 2 years, and since it's so easy to make, I would not make too much of it at any one time :)

Guest Mike and Linda

I only make about 1/8 cup at a time. I get about 20 little blocks. I figure that maybe that would last me two to three weeks. I alternate all four.

I would give the soilent green every day and substitute the other meal for the other three types plus blood worms, krill, and maybe nls pellet depends on floatyness

When I do freeze it, I do put the gel in 4 different freezer bags to avoid freezer burn.

Edited by Mike and Linda

Mike, where do you order your Repashy from?? I've been searching, Big Al's (who I usually order from) doesn't have it on the website. Thanks!

Red, you can special order from Ted Judy of Ted's Fishroom. He will send it to you.

Thank you Alex! :) It looks very interesting. Repashy is what I feed my crested gecko too! Good food.

Good food, and good person. Allen Repashy seems to be a really nice person. I also love supporting small business owners!

If you haven't, check out my review of the soilent green! :)

Guest Mike and Linda

Red you just order directly from Ted's Fishroom. It will come in from Wisconsin. It took me 8 days.

Alex where on Ted's Fishroom is your review?

/thank you both :) I've ordered it from Ted's. It's on it's way! :) Can't wait to see if Boog & Clementine like it. I ordered 4oz of the Soilent Green only. I make my own food with tuna, etc...and have tons frozen now, so didn't want the more "meaty" stuff yet.

Guest Mike and Linda

My calico oranda woun't stop hanging around the top. He is upside down now. He will hange around for hours at a time sipping the water. It does not matter if I feed him or not.

I will give you a small video of what he looks like. I can't figure out why this one fish has to do this.

Should I put him into a 10g by himself so that he won't get all my other fish into this habbit?

Edited by Mike and Linda

Mike,

I have several comments:

1. Remember that goldfish are from a lineage of fish that feed ALL day, so of course their instincts are to feed that much. However, given the nutritious foods you are feeding them, they certainly do not need to eat all day. Even when then hang at the top asking for food, you don't have to give it to them. He can go for days without food, and in this instance, he needs to go for a few days without food so that we can help him.

2. This fish has some serious swimming issues, all related to food, based on your descriptions. We really need to isolate him. Add 1/4 teaspoons per 10 gallons Epsom Stop feeding him ANYTHING for three days. Then, do a WC to remove the Epsom. After that, he can have nothing except for spinach for two straight weeks. He is to have the equivalent of 1 baby spinach leaf at a time, and twice a day.

3. If during the 2 weeks on spinach he still gets floaty, then he has some serious issues, which may need be dealt with by treating with meds. However, we cannot know that at this time.

4. Remember, be strong. A begging goldfish is hard to resist, but you must, or this chronic problem will get worse.

Guest Mike and Linda

I will put him into a 10g cycled. I will not feed anything for 3 full days.

I will add the 1/4 teaspoon of epson salt and remove it after 3 days.

Finally I will feed baby spinach for two weeks. I will get back to you in two weeks before I do anything else.

I need to get this sorted out. Thanks