Kokos Goldfish Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Helen23254

getting a new filter.

Does anyone have any advice for a new filter for my new tank?

It is roughly 60-80L, for goldfish (don't tell me its too small! its all i can afford atm, and they are currently in a 20L!) Say 80L to be sure as i don't know how much exactly...its a freebie!

Is it best to go the next one up? Like a filter for 100L?

Any good brands?

I'd like it to be quiet and not too ugly :P and easy to maintain if possible..oh and cheap :P

I'm from the UK so anything from there/can ship to there :)

How many fish do you have?

When I had a 20 gallon (80L), I ran a AquaClear 70.

People are going to tell you to get a bigger tank depending on how many fish you have

I love my canisters, but they're not cheap! :rolleyes:

Two goldfish and a sucker loach.

Yeah...I know, but all i want to know is a good filter :) I can't afford a bigger tank right now!

What kind of fish do you have and how many

Edit: My bad for not reading ><

Active Carbon is basically charcoal and it would help polish your water, problem is if/when you medicate your fish, it absorbs all the medication. Not a lot of people on this forum uses it as I know of.

Edited by yaapp

Soo, anything you recommend?

I read reviews, and there are mixed reviews on EVERYTHING.

I really need something under £20....and quiet :)

I was also thinking of the ''Elite Stingray Filter'' the right size for the tank :)

I would say canisters but considering you're on a budget maybe a HOB (Hang on the Back) filter

At this point, I rather have another kid recommend one because quite honestly, you would need to spend some money to get the right amount of GPH and a big enough tank for 2 goldfish and a loach

Hmm..Maybe this forum isn't as helpful as I had hoped..

If I were you, I would get the most filtration as possible for what you can afford. The general rule for goldfish filtration is that your filter or filters should be circulating 10x the volume of your tank each hour. For a 20 gallon tank, you would need roughly 200gph. I would definitely do at least this, or more if possible since you are overstocked. I personally use a Fluval cannister filter along with a Fluval HOB filter to get enough gph for my 30 gallon tank, and I really love both filters.

My personal advice would of course be to get a bigger tank if possible. If not, then get as much filtration as you possibly can to help remove all the waste. Also, I would try to do at least two 50% water changes per week, making sure to match temperature and ph, to help keep their environment toxin free.

I know it's hard to have everyone saying the same thing over and over, and we may be preaching to the choir a little bit, but we just have the fish and their health in mind. Goldfish grow fast, get very big, and produce a TON of waste. In order to give them an environment in which they can be healthy and thrive in they really need as much room as possible, along with proper filtration and frequent infusions of clean water. Without this, they will eventually begin to show signs of stress and get sick. We are only trying to intervene before this, and avoid any stressful situations from happening for both you and your fish.

Marineland biowheel for 20gallons is $22.49 online. I used to have the big one, worked really well.

Well saying that isn't going to help. People have lives outside of this forum so it might take a while for someone to respond. But you will get help.

I would personally go with the biggest filter you can afford. That way you don't have to buy a new one when you upgrade. The prefered filters on this forum tend to be Aquaclears. You will want at least an Aquaclear 70. This will work for a tank up to 30 gallons.

Tetra whisper and marineland biowheel filters are also used by many members.

Hmm. May be you aren't as polite as you should be.

When soliciting advice and suggestions, please be prepared to get actual advice and suggestions, and not what you want to hear. If all you want is for people to affirm what you are doing, this is not the right place to be.

I just meant, I am told the same thing over and over again. I know it isn't a perfect size, but I cant afford anymore..

I just meant, I am told the same thing over and over again. I know it isn't a perfect size, but I cant afford anymore..

I know it is hard to keep hearing over and over but this forum is pretty big so not everybody knows the situation at hand and we just want what will be easiest on you and the goldies ;) for a filter I would recommend anything that can give you a total of 300gph ;) so even 2 filters that do 150gph each will do. I can't really reommend a brand because I don't know what would be a good cheap filter over in europe but I can tell you how much filtration to look for :D

I may seem harsh or like an old recording. We understand about money, but we are only here to help. We try to give the best advice with the information presented to us. We care dearly about goldfish and only want the best for them....

As for a filter if you can Aqua clear filters are the best out there for there buck. Internal filters are not designed for goldfish, as they are very dirty fish to keep.

Thankyou :) I may use two filters depending on how it works out.

£20 is not really going to be enough for a goldfish filter, even if you can get one second hand. You could try ebay or gumtree for a second hand one. I would recommend Eheim, Rena or Fluval. The stingray filter i would avoid, they really aren't designed for goldfish although some filtration is always going to be better than none.