Kokos Goldfish Forum
Sign in to follow this  
ddcool

bringing goldfish home from Beijing

I'm going to Beijing in November and am thinking of bringing home some goldfish.

I'd like some wakins. Anybody have any ideas of where to get decent breeding stock?

I currently have red/white and calico. I would like yellows and I've seen some pictures

of tricolors I'd be interested in. Since I'm allowed 2 pieces of luggage and travel light

I could dedicate one box to fish. I've checked with CFIA and paperwork shouldn't be

an issue.

You're soooooo lucky. Beijing has a local breeder Xu. His family used to keep goldfish for the loyal family in Qing dynasty. I believe his fish farm is called Taxi Goldfish Farm. There was a documentary about him and his farm. Good luck he is still around. His uncle or cousin also has a goldfish farm, but not in Beijing. Show us photos when you're back.

i have no idea, but good luck! i would love to bring fish back when i visit singapore next year.. unfortunately after a quick talk with Australian Customs, this might be impossible for me.

I'm going to Beijing in November and am thinking of bringing home some goldfish.

I'd like some wakins. Anybody have any ideas of where to get decent breeding stock?

I currently have red/white and calico. I would like yellows and I've seen some pictures

of tricolors I'd be interested in. Since I'm allowed 2 pieces of luggage and travel light

I could dedicate one box to fish. I've checked with CFIA and paperwork shouldn't be

an issue.

There is a US breeder that has Yellow Wakins.

To be on the safe side, get certification from the breeder that the fish are free of SVC (spring viremia of carp). Many countries will not allow goldfish, carp, or koi in without this certification--not sure about Canada, but it is true in the US and Korea, for example. KHV (koi herpes virus) is an issue in some places, too. If you buy your fish from a breeder who exports, I think you should be able to get the certification. :)

Edited by spillie

I checked with the CFIA fellow that comes into my place of work ( wholesale plants).

He checked with their vet and he said no paperwork required before Dec 2012

when the rules are changing. I'll check into it a bit more once I've found a breeder.

That'll probably be the hardest part ! I googled the taxi goldfish farm and now know

there are no shortages of cabs in Beijing :) Not so sure about goldfish though !

I know about the yellows in the US but am trying to avoid prohibitive shipping costs.

Has anyone out there dealt with or bought goldfish from China before?

No, and I am totally jealous. Good luck!!!

Good Luck :D and take lots of pictures!!!!!!!

i have no idea, but good luck! i would love to bring fish back when i visit singapore next year.. unfortunately after a quick talk with Australian Customs, this might be impossible for me.

If you can team up with an importer or someone with relevant paperwork they should be able to help you out with importing fish. Your local fish guy might even have the necessary stuff considering what he was planning on doing. ;)

First, all health certs need to be gotten (SVC etc). After that it would be similar to the betta shipments that happen all the time, just a matter of holding the fish and coordinating flights on your end (usually involves getting the fish packed in with the bi monthly aquatic shipment/betta shipment to aus, you would be best to get in contact with Shirley Lim who is the transhipper for bettas in Singapore to help you with this one) and pickup from the airport by the transhipper on this end with them handling paperwork on this end. Any registered transhipper or importer should also be a-ok to import goldfish (there’s a few here that would probably be willing to do so, I know I always say Jodi-Lea in Bris, but that’s because I use her as my transhipper. There’s apparently also another guy in Melb who can, but I don’t know him personally or how to get in touch with him.)

If you really find a stunner, it might be worth the hassle. ;) Good fish are so much cheaper over there! Unfortunately by the time you pay all the import fees it ends up being around the same as if you bought them locally price wise. D: My import/export licence is expired, so I’m of no help on this end ):

I checked with the CFIA fellow that comes into my place of work ( wholesale plants).

He checked with their vet and he said no paperwork required before Dec 2012

when the rules are changing. I'll check into it a bit more once I've found a breeder.

That'll probably be the hardest part ! I googled the taxi goldfish farm and now know

there are no shortages of cabs in Beijing :) Not so sure about goldfish though !

I know about the yellows in the US but am trying to avoid prohibitive shipping costs.

Has anyone out there dealt with or bought goldfish from China before?

I have. Luna, my white BF telescope came from the Goldfish Pagoda (Now goldfish Treasures) breeding farm. They also have a display of goldfish in Ocean Park (That enormous zoo in Hong Kong)

Good fish over there (not only in China) are cheap. Like, dirt cheap. I know HMLim got a bunch of tiku pearlscales of good quality for around 50c a piece one time. I think Fatty Weng may have been one of them (for those who remember that fish :) )

The cost is in shipping, health certs, etc. Luna cost me next to nothing, but by the time I got her into the country it was nearing $300. For one fish! She was gorgeous, but for that price I could have found a similar fish here (or two!) and not have dealt with the hassle. :P

It can become more cost effective if you send out in the bi monthly aquatic shipments organised by the fighting fish transhippers, though. You will also not have to worry about getting import/export permits for two countries on top of the health certs you will also be chasing down. Best way to do this is to contact your transhipper on local soil, and the shipper in the country you are purchasing from, and let them know your intent and the time/weeks you will be there. They will be able to tell you if they can transport goldfish with their shipment (will depend on their import/export permits and limits, and room in the shipment, and transport times). As the shipments are bi monthly, you will have to organise for your fish to be handed to the transhipper in China close to the export date (Which will mean organising for the breeder to do so, not always possible when they live far apart). There are a LOT of variables that will make it very difficult, especially when goldfish are hard to ‘send postal’ across a country to get to the transhipper like we do with fighting fish (literally, we send them like mail quite often)

In all honesty based on my experience, it’s so much easier to buy back on home soil, OR to organise imports from home. Find breeders you like while there, preferably ones that ship to your country, get contact info, then organise it from home for that breeder to ship you fish with his or her next shipment to your country instead of rushing across the country with fish. :P

Can you really bring home fish from other countries?

Wow, I hope you find some super cool goldies! :r030:

Can you really bring home fish from other countries?

Wow, I hope you find some super cool goldies! :r030:

You need an export permit for that country, an import permit for yours and all relevant health certs, but yes, it is more than possible. :)

It is however, a huge pain in the bottom if your country is like Aus and has mandatory QT and stuff, so you need to check all laws beforehand, call your customs, etc, and find out exactly what you need to do and make sure you do it, otherwise you will have your fish seized an destroyed.

In places like Aus the fish typically will have to go to someone here qualified by customs to do the mandatory QT period (usually the fighter transhippers get stuck with this, so talk to them first!) and by that time you may as well just have talked to the transhippers in country A, and put them in with the fighting fish consignments to the transhipper in country B and used their import/export permits instead of messing around. Our customs/border rules are very strict here. However in more lenient countries if you get your permits for export from country A, import into country B, and health certs you can pretty much take them on with you as cargo… Just be sure if you can’t take them as carry on that they are labeled as live animals and you ensure they are handled well and get put in the pressurised cargo hold! (Otherwise you end up with… Exploded fish)

Most fish you see in pet stores are not bred in the country, but imported in bulk as cheap culls from overseas. :)

Thanks!

Always learning something new huh!

:idea:

I think Canada is a bit more lenient. .

From what I read if you are importing them as pets all you have to do is fill in

a sheet of paper with the exporters name and your address and bingo you're

home free ! I didn't realize I needed export paperwork at the other end.

I should have picked up some last year in Hong Kong when I went to the fish

market. I don't think Beijing has the same kind of market so it may be tougher

to find a supplier. I thought if I could get some nice fish at a dirt cheap price

it might be worth the effort. Thanks for all the tips ! This forum is awesome :)

I think Canada is a bit more lenient. .

From what I read if you are importing them as pets all you have to do is fill in

a sheet of paper with the exporters name and your address and bingo you're

home free ! I didn't realize I needed export paperwork at the other end.

I should have picked up some last year in Hong Kong when I went to the fish

market. I don't think Beijing has the same kind of market so it may be tougher

to find a supplier. I thought if I could get some nice fish at a dirt cheap price

it might be worth the effort. Thanks for all the tips ! This forum is awesome :)

It’s pretty easy to get export permits from anywhere, so if you have super lenient import laws and you can get cheap shipment or get onto the bimonthly betta shipments, it would totally be worthwile!

Australia has crazy strict customs/border rules. ):

:interesting: i was in hong kong in Feb, at the goldfish street, would have loved to bring some fishes home, so cheap,healthy and big are the fishes over there.....these days can't even take bottle of water thru customs etc........so strict

In uk, its less strict, thats cos the import tax fees etc is so prohibitive and extortionately high...............to be able to bring home fish like you're doing wud be amazing. :r030:

I saw a programme on international aquarium to aquarium shark transfers.....really interesting......

If you are physically bringing them into the country, are you more worried about the strict liquid laws? I know in the states it's pretty hectic, I'm not sure if canada has followed suit or not.

To be comfortable, you may want to check with the import dept/aquatic division of CFIA directly-- when I checked with our US equivalent, I found issues with importing goldfish that did not apply to other sorts of pets (cats, dogs, etc.). But folks that did not work in that division were not aware of them. Given how common SVC restrictions are, I'd be surprised if Canada did not have them...?

I had to go searching in my old posts but I found this related article :D

http://cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/publications/cn-ad/cn11-027-eng.html

http://www.inspection.gc.ca/animals/aquatic-animals/diseases/susceptible-species/eng/1327162574928/1327162766981

The second one is the diseases they want to be monitored.

Looks like I'm allowed 10 if I read that correctly. It will probably be

difficult to find a wholesale breeder that wants to be bothered with

such a small number.