Kokos Goldfish Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Prejudiced

New fish (and the orandas!)

Sorry guys, I take terrible photos. I only have a cheapy digital camera so these are as good as it’s going to get. ):

Mischa is looking MUCH better though. She looked terrible when we bought her home!

She still has a while to go yet (half her dorsal is still gone, but I hope it grown back! Some breaks in her tail rays also need to mend, but that could take awhile, if it even happens. Her dorsal is also broken on the first ray, which will probably be permanent.)

YGkQD.jpg

Rico is as handsome as ever. Both him and Mischa are now 3 inches in the body (around 6 inches total length including tail). He really is that silver/grey in real life (but oh so much more handsome then my bad photos show) :P

akcf8.jpg

This is the fish currently known as baby/weeny fish in QT (so bad pictures, well, even worse then my usual ones, no light in the tank and he spooks easy). This little guy I got for next to nothing because he was bashed up in shipping and there was no way he would have survived in the store’s QT. Girl working asked if I’d take him at cost price to give him a chance, so of course I did. Weeny fish needs an actual name though, otherwise he will be forever known as that or 'Baby'! Excuse the mess in the tank, that white stuff is prazi.

z7iVM.jpg

Weeny fish’s fins look like scrunched up paper at the moment. I don’t know how well they will heal.

0Pm8o.jpg

Also worth mentioning that I planned this time around to only buy very high quality fish… Already I have two rescues and a nice (but not stellar) blue oranda... Oh well, I like my tanks full of defective little ones it seems! :P

Great pics! They really are not bad, you just think so. :P

And beautiful fish!! Love your set up too, any pics posted of your whole tank? If so, please add the link here (or PM it to me) please.

As for Weeny fish, I think the fins are likely to stay like that. I have one with something kinda like it that has been that way for months. Cute either way!

Aw, what pretties! I think they will more than make up for their humble beginnings as they flourish in your care, Amber! :)

:Congrats: on the moor. I have every confidence he/she will recover in no time :)

the moor may visit in october.. lol

congratulations :)

Wowwwwwwwwwwwwwww!!! Very nice pics!!

And I love your Blue oranda (Iron blue I guess), is just georgeus!!

Amazing pic quality................WOW......................i need a new camera pronto

Thanks Alex :) I hope so anyway. I seem to always end up with the misfits and injured ones. :help:

the moor may visit in october.. lol

congratulations :)

You’d love him Helen. He’s got a gorgeous body shape and eyes, just some very strange fins :P

(No visits though, he’s my little misfit! :P )

Wowwwwwwwwwwwwwww!!! Very nice pics!!

And I love your Blue oranda (Iron blue I guess), is just georgeus!!

He's an absolute doll! We’re currently having some wen issues with him (wen fungus) but nothing major. He’s still only a baby himself (him and Mischa will be 1 year in spring) so he pretty much still looks like an oversized young/juvie goldfish. I can’t wait until he grows some more and gets those beautiful floaty fins happening.

As for the blue, I’m not 100% sure if it’s iron, but seems likely. He seems to be holding his colour very well so far! Fingers crossed

Great pics! They really are not bad, you just think so. :P

And beautiful fish!! Love your set up too, any pics posted of your whole tank? If so, please add the link here (or PM it to me) please.

As for Weeny fish, I think the fins are likely to stay like that. I have one with something kinda like it that has been that way for months. Cute either way!

Ah, that’s a bummer about Weeny’s fins. I guess the tears will heal, but the crimps do look like they are ray damage, so you’re probably right. He’s also got some eye damage going on, but today he can sit upright and move around a bit, rather than listing on his side like last night, so I’ve got hope for him to come good :)

My setup is a 100L (26.5gal approx) HX boyu tank and I use the standard overhead/trickle filter it comes with, but with my own media. Slow flowrate, but media dense, much like a pond filter. Lighting is the light that came with it, two separate t5 strips which can individually be turned on/off. I love it! I have it on the stand it comes with, but will probably eventually build a nice wood stand to go with it. Now that it looks like weeny will survive, I’m either going to have to upgrade or set up a new tank. He’s going to be in QT at least for a month though, so plenty of time. I just don’t want multiple tanks or overly large ones while renting as they will be a pain to move. I might be able to rig a 5-10Gal sump to the main tank somehow and keep using it with the three, so there would be at least 30gal in circulation, but that seems difficult.

It’s currently half stripped out at the moment though. I have the background off, airstones out and I need to replant now that I know what the orandas won’t eat. The plants currently in there are x2 hairgrass, some dwarf rushes (these are great!) and a dwarf anibus in a pot. The hairgrass does get nibbled on a bot though. All plants are either potted or don’t mind being ripped up so I can pull them and the rocks out weekly to gravel vac. Gravel is that inert ceramic coated stuff in a shiny black, it’s pretty standard fare

They are stunning, the blue oranda especially! That's one of my few dream fish that are NOT single tails :D

I have to admit that I do like the name Weeny Fish. It's cute, and unique. :)

Tried to find some old photos Acro, these are the best I can do, sorry!

H9Rfc.jpgRJ6Kl.jpg

your goldfish are quite Beautiful :) and your pics are very nice too :) what kind of cheap camera do you have ;) lol

They are beautiful. I like the white rock arrangement as well.

you have beautiful fish! :thumb: and its good the black moor has an owner like you!

They are gorgeous!!!!! I love your finned babies!! Congrats and I am wishing a fast and uneventful Qt for the new guy <3

Congratulations, they are all beautiful in their own way!

You have some magnificent fish there! & your rescue is just darling. Since it seems to be ray damage the crinkly look may never fully go away but with TLC it might straighten a little bit. As he grows and strengthens it won't matter anymore :)

Oh wow, they are very nice hun. :thumb:

Awesome. They all look great. Even the one with the crooked tail fin. My ghost has a tail like that too.

Beautiful fish!! I love your stocky orandas in particular :D

Thanks a bunch everyone :) . The little moor is sitting up straight and swimming around a bit now (before she was on her side) and even today started to actually eat her food, so I think she will bounce back rapidly now, even if she’s always going to look a bit crumpled. I’ll admit I thought she would struggle when I took her, but she seems to be ok. Some eye and body damage, but nothing too major now that she’s right side up and eating. Salt and prazi as we speak too.

Now I just need to figure out a permanent solution for her. She’s in my 6gal (w/ adjustable 5x to x10 HOB filter) QT at the moment and looks like she may be for awhile, but that’s not a permanent home. My oranda tank would be waaay overstocked if she went in there. I may have to look into setting up another tank, though my house room is… Limited, and renting I may have to move next year, so one tank to strip down is enough. She may just end up in a Rubbermaid for awhile, lol!

Shell, It’s an Olympus HD camera of the ‘point and shoot’ variety I was given last Christmas. It’s not fantastic, but it does the job! The sunny mode works ok for tank photos I guess. :)

Tithra, I thought you would! I was always a fan of your two, even though I never used to really like orandas. Mischa is not very photogenic unfortunately, she’s actually quite nice to look at in real life, though all of her pictures would make you think otherwise :P

They are stunning, the blue oranda especially! That's one of my few dream fish that are NOT single tails :D

I have to admit that I do like the name Weeny Fish. It's cute, and unique. :)

Thats one of my dream fish too! :D