Kokos Goldfish Forum

Hello I’m Anthony James, 15 years old, major animal lover, I have four goldfish which were bought over 4 years ago, originally kept as class pets but for the past 3 years have been kept in my care, we are still amazed they are alive :o, They live in a tank with a filter and heater along with one black moor, an angel fish and pink tetra all over 2 years. The heater is kept at constant temperature of 26 °C (Is this alright?) for the last two years.

I wanted to start a tropical fish tank, so do you have any advice on:

1) Best starter fish.

2) Best Equipment

3) Best Aquarium Size

4) Best flooring, ornaments and plants (live and plastic)

I wanted a hardscape similar to this click , I was going to sell my fish tank and but two smaller ones one cold water and one tropical so how many gallons should they be and is the hardscape design suitable for both?

Thanks a lot, So any tips and advice and do you recommend it?

My tank: 2012_07_21_12_37.jpg

OH!!! and here is the pic of the black moor, and sorry for talking so long I was on holidays! 2012_07_21_12_27_22.jpg , the one that was sick he's all good now :D

Edited by OoAMoO

Hi, Anthony. Welcome back! :)

I can't help with starting a tropical tank, since I have never had one, but you certainly will get tons of good suggestions from many people here. Have fun! :)

welcome back Anthony :) i would like to be 3 years younger too!.. do share your secret :D:rofl

Welcome to the forum!

Will you be separating the angel fish and tetras when you set up your tropical tank? As you probably already know these fish (particularly the angel fish) have different requirements from goldfish, and keeping the goldfish at 26 C is not ideal.

The hardscape you linked is beautiful! It would certainly be fine for most tropicals, but I would choose a different layout for the goldies, goldfish are notoriously clumsy swimmers and often think they are smaller than they actually are so they are prone to hurting themselves if there is a lot to navigate in the tank :)

Welcome Anthony! :) Good luck with setting up a tropical tank! There are plenty of fish to choose from, and that is the fun part! I will link you to a good stocking calculator that you can refer to in your decision making process: http://www.aqadvisor.com/

I find a lot of smaller species such as guppies, tetras, and corydoras easiest to keep if you are looking to begin tropical fish keeping. a 15 gal is a great starting size, however if you want to get some other species that are a little agressive such as rams, a 20 gal would be a much better size :)

hey do you have any tips on cleaning rocks/stones from the garden/river, I heard boiling water and beech and then let them dry in the sun is this correct and if so how much bleach for a full kettle of water?

make that 2 kettles of water

How about this for the cold water?

Hi Anthony and welcome. We use found rocks in our tank. They are from the place where a river comes into the sea - so they were plucked from slightly salty water. We vinegar tested them to make sure that they didn´t bubble and then scrubbed and boiled them. We didn´t use any bleach although it probably is a good idea. We scrub them down about every other week.

I´m thinking of getting some more rocks and siliconing them together to make a larger display for the bigger tank we are getting but haven´t made up my mind yet.

I haven´t had a tropical tank in years and am relatively new to goldfish but I do like a tropical tank with guppies. Angelfish are lovely but they scare me a little. I´ll let the experts give you concrete advice.

Hi Anthony and welcome back,

In terms of gold fish..........how big of tank are we talkin.............how many gold fish? For the tropical I have red or lamp eye tetras.......extremely hardy and easy to care for...........they like a dim tank so LOTS of plants will help and it does look nice too............

For the goldie tank I do bare bottom............super easy to keep clean, and I don't have to worry about them running into decor.....I have 2 goldfish in a 29 gallon for now.............want to upgrade to a 40 gallon breeder tank for the girls..................

Deb

:hi

and

:welcome