• * Ammonia Level - 0ppm
  • * Nitrite Level - 0ppm
  • * Nitrate level - 15ppm
  • * Ph Level, Tank (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines) 7.2
  • * Ph Level, Tap (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines)7.2
    Other Required Info:
  • * Brand of test-kit used and whether strips or drops? JBL liquid test kit
  • * Water temperature? 24C/75F
  • * Tank size (how many gals.) and how long has it been running?55 UK Gallons/250 litres, it has been running 8 months
  • * What is the name and "size of the filter"(s)? Fluval U4 and biopro bf-2200
  • * How often do you change the water and how much? weekly 40%
  • * How many days ago was the last water change and how much did you change? 4 days

• * How many fish in the tank and their size? 6 x 3" 1 x 2"
  • * What kind of water additives or conditioners? tapsafe and Aqualibrium salts 0.1%
  • * What do you feed your fish and how often? Tetra goldfish gold Japan
  • * Any new fish added to the tank? No
  • * Any medications added to the tank? Interpet swim bladder treatment (3rd day of treatment)
  • * List previous issues experienced (dropsy, SBD, etc.) Internal bacterial infection but not this fish and also swimbladder problems but not this fish either
  • * List entire medication/treatment history for fish and tank. Please include salt, Prazi, PP, etc and the approximate time and duration of treatment. Interpet #9 for a weeks course, interpet swimbladder treatment that is in there now. Aqualibrium salts 0.1%
  • * Any unusual findings on the fish such as "grains of salt," bloody streaks, frayed fins or fungus? Looked like it was pineconing but seems to of gone down, this morning it has bloodstreaks in its right eye and on its wen but maybe thats from being thrown about a bit with the current and banging into things due to non balance.
  • * Any unusual behavior like staying at the bottom, not eating, etc.? Not being able to keep his balance but still eating.

I noticed a couple of days ago that my white Oranda, Cloud, was acting strange and not being his usual self, the next day he was struggling to swim properly. He's never had any problems at all before although a couple of my other fish suffer from swimbladder so I thought it might be that and added some treatment.

Yesterday he hadn't got any better and was sat against the filter not being able to get away and when I turned it off so he could get away he went and sat under a barrel in the tank so he didn't have to move. I fed him a couple of shelled peas yesterday because I haven't seen him poo for a while and thought maybe his constipation wasn't helping. I had to hold my hand under him in the water though while I gave him the peas as he was struggling to keep balance. He tries to swim but just floats everywhere.

Last night I turned the filter back on beacause I was worried that the treatment might not be going round although the other filter is still on. This morning he was against the filter again so I turned both of them off to give him a rest because even with just one filter on he keeps getting bumped about but I know this is no good for the tank or other fish but I hate to see him helpless.

Tomorrow I can put the second lot of treatment in for swimbladder but I don't know if this is actually what is wrong with him. This morning I noticed his eye has blood in it and so does his wen on that side but I don't know if that is just from him getting bumped about.

I know my tank is slightly overstocked but someone I know was moving and had to get rid of their tank so I had them because they had nowhere else to go, although this fish is one of mine.

Could you please upload some pics or a video of this? Also, as we discussed before, what you can do in this overstocking situation is to do bigger WCs and more frequent WCs. It's not just to get rid of nitrates and other potential nitrogen products, but also to prevent build up of other things that we don't measure, including bacterial loads, or accumulation of conditions that favor growth of pathogenic bacteria.

How often do you feed your fish, and how much? One of the things that we have to rule out first always is that this is food related.

Have you felt his belly? Is it mushy, or firm?

Thanks for your quick reply.

Here are two videos of him swimming, I think he's a he anyway, you might tell me different.

http://s178.photobuc...oudSwimming.mp4

http://s178.photobuc...udSwimming2.mp4

I've started upping the water changes to 40% weekly instead of 25%, do you think I should do them more frequent or do a bigger water change?

I feel like I'm letting them down and neglecting because of my lack of experience.

I feed them a couple of sticks each once a day, sometimes Cloud has up to 4 sticks though because he's greedy. I've been feeding them the same food for 6 months, Tetra Goldfish Gold Japan.

His body feels firm but his underbelly seems a bit more mushy but not really mushy, I've never felt it before though so I don't know how it normally feels.

Edited by HondaLad1987

I'm thinking that if possible, I would like to suggest that you do something like 50-80% every 5 days. I know it's a lot, but it will be beneficial.

It looks to me as though he is having a hard time controlling his swimming. Do you have a colander or a breeder's net that you could put him in? This is better than turning off the filters, which could really mess up your cycle if left off for too long.

Once he is safe from being pulled all over the place by the filters, I'd like to fast him until tomorrow to see if his condition improves.

Don't feel like you are letting them down. We all start out with no experience. The most important thing is that you are trying to learn. Hang in there.

It's not a problem to do water changes as big as that I just didn't want to do them too often and maybe mess up my cycle or something.

I don't have a breeders net but I can go out and get one. Ok I'll fast him today and see if he gets better.

Thanks again for your help, it's really appreciated.

cloud is really pretty.....Tesco's sells makeshift holey baskets £2?..........if you need to get her in a basket real quick

Thanks Coco I think Cloud is really pretty too :)

I managed to get a plastic breeding basket from Pets At Home, I don't like how they keep fish there but it was the quickest way to get one. They had a net one but it looked flimsy and poorly made. Thanks for the tip though, Coco.

Unfortunately Cloud died in the night last night but thanks for the help in trying to make him better.

I'll miss him, he used to make me smile every time I saw him.

I'm so sorry :(

RIP Cloud.

oh no .....how.....what happened?!

poor cloud :(

I don't know, he just started moving less and less but he still seemed ok last night but he died in the night. It happened fast but at least he didn't suffer much.

Thanks again for your help.

:hug take care

I´m sorry about that...so sad!!

If you can change your food, Tetra is probably the worst trademark in goldfish food and many people say that tetra can produce floating problems.

Best foods are Hikari, maybe JBL and of course home made foods (also bloodworms and those kind of things)

And also one last thing...for your tank size you may have too many fishes, try with less and you will see the difference..

Edited by rms

I'm nearly out of food so I won't bother getting any more of that and get one of the others that you've mentioned, I do feed them peas every few days and they seem to love them.

I won't be getting any more fish so hopefully the tank will run better although I'd rather still have Cloud and do more water changes.

Yes, do it, your fishes will appreciate that!!

And in the UK you won´t have any problem finding this food, but for example here in Spain is almost impossible to get them, I usually buy them using Ebay and they all come from the UK..