Kokos Goldfish Forum
Sign in to follow this  
scrappinjaime

Will a panda telescope

Natural sunlight does help with the colors. Goldfish actually have two color levels to them. The first is there skin, this will brighten with the sun. Then the scales is the other level of color, this is the color that will show through in the end if they dont get sunlight. Or the skin will change if you feed them Carotene.

Natural sunlight is great for goldfish :thumb:

Wow! Neat. Thank you for the explanation. Near the window, it is!

Hey, Helen. I emailed Steve about Hawaiifish, and showed him the difference in the color from then to now. He said the fish is "mock metallic," and that if the background and/or lighting is changed, he may lighten again. :) I have the Marineland Double Bright LED light strip on this tank, and since I've been trying to culture green water, I leave it on either white (day) or blue (night) 24/7. The orange fish haven't changed color, and neither has the ryukin.

Change colors? Will a black and white tele stay that color or will it change?

i

depends upon age , colors fix. after more than two years.. is very rare to find in shop a panda of this age .

Change colors? Will a black and white tele stay that color or will it change?

i

depends upon age , colors fix. after more than two years.. is very rare to find in shop a panda of this age .

I have a panda tele who is going on 5 years of age, I believe. She is still quite her panda self, although I expect this to change in the coming months.

I have an oranda that I bought at petsmart as a silvery blue minnow looking thing with no wen, then he got darker and looked black with blue splotches, and now he's a panda with a wen. I wonder if he will end up orange :)

I assume that Poopsie's change is due to lighting. He was a tiny thing when I got him on New Years Day, and he always was in my 55. The first picture was right after he moved into the 77, which is not as bright. The 77 is closer to the window, but it doesn't get direct sunlight. Their diet hasn't changed. :idont

I assume that Poopsie's change is due to lighting. He was a tiny thing when I got him on New Years Day, and he always was in my 55. The first picture was right after he moved into the 77, which is not as bright. The 77 is closer to the window, but it doesn't get direct sunlight. Their diet hasn't changed. :idont

Actually, sunlight (UV) can have an effect on mobilizing melanophores, and hence adding black to their coloration. In the case of Poopsie, it's just a color loss, a rather pretty one at that :)

One other thing is that plants and algae will add yellow to the white. You see this in a lot of Steve's fish, since they are pond fish. Since I've been feeding my fish soilent green, I'm seeing a lot of that too. Good thing I love it. :)

I don´t remember exactly where I have read about panda coloration...I think that was in a chinesse forum or a book, I can´t remenber this but i now that was somthing that call my atention deeply!!

Cause I though, like many other people, that panda coloration was another kind of coloration but in this place thay said that this coloration (panda) is just a step, a fase if you prefere, before a change...I wish this is not true ´cause panda coloration is just beautiful!!

Here is a picture of Poopsie (orange ranchu front and center) from June 19. And below is a picture of him today, exactly one month later. This amazes me.

7403372244_a8d03a0f66_b.jpg

7604432212_faebefdbe7_b.jpg

Beautifull tank yours!!!!!

Cause I though, like many other people, that panda coloration was another kind of coloration but in this place thay said that this coloration (panda) is just a step, a fase if you prefere, before a change...I wish this is not true ´cause panda coloration is just beautiful!!

It is a step in the process of going from all blue/black to all white, or white/orange.

Having said that, this process could take years to finish.

Hey, Helen. I emailed Steve about Hawaiifish, and showed him the difference in the color from then to now. He said the fish is "mock metallic," and that if the background and/or lighting is changed, he may lighten again. :) I have the Marineland Double Bright LED light strip on this tank, and since I've been trying to culture green water, I leave it on either white (day) or blue (night) 24/7. The orange fish haven't changed color, and neither has the ryukin.

that's really interesting. thank you for the information hun :)

Have a look to this:

[link removed]

At least is interesting...

Edited by dnalex
Link to another fish forum removed

Hi rms,

Sorry I had to remove the link, which is prohibited by forum rules.

You may sum up what was discussed in your reading, if you like :)

Ufff is to long to sum it up and it looks like is a conversation in another forum...it is really interesting but you have to read it completely...

Edited by rms

What do you mean with sum up?? I don´t understand that... :bye2:

A summary

In any case, this is what Joseph Smart wrote in his book Goldfish Varieties and Genetics:

These two variegated forms are of particular interest; the black and white fish created a sensation when they first appeared and were eagerly snapped up. Unfortunately it seems to be a difficult variety to keep, breed and reproduce the quality which was so very impressive in the original introductions. The red and black form is also a striking fish but is also of particular interest in that what has been regarded as a transitional (but beautiful!) colour phase has been stabilised, to a degree at least. No doubt further selection will enhance stability and colour quality. (page 102)

So it does appear that breeding efforts have added some stability to this color pattern, although much more needs to be done.

Exactly!!! Was in that book where I have read about panda coloration and it´s instability...probably in a near future we will have the chance to have "real" panda goldfish....but now, probably, the real panda are in chinnese or japannese hands...

@ rms Don't take it personally that alex removed the link.....he would have had to do the same(forum rules) "whoever" put that link up, not just you. He's not being mean to you.

sum up = what you said earlier "Panda is not a real coloration, is just a step before a colour change...so always a panda fish will turn, probably, into red or orange but never keep that black colouration."

that'll teach me to type faster......glad rms you got your groove back lol

Edited by coco

almost everything posted on this site is a discussion where others can learn from. nothing to be taken personal :) we learn from all members new or old, that's what keeps this place alive. our forum rules keeps this place fun and happy :)

Don´t worry coco I don´t feef bad about the link removed...I´m moderator in an spanifh forum so i understand that rules are just rules and must be accepted.

Regards

Yes Stakos, that´s right!!

Thanks, if I have time I will have a look to them!!

Thanks for sharing

One thing I´m sure of, sun is our best friend in terms of keeping a good coloration!!

I have both tank and pond and the coloration in fishes living outside is just incredible, no comparation with fishes living with artificial lighting.

Sometimes I´ve had some fishes living in the tank and have moved them to the pond and after a few weeks they didn´t look the same fish!! Incredible!!

Edited by rms

It all makes sense....

even humans ( am i off topic :BTT again lol ) glow a nice deep tan / colour (well i do anyway), in the presence of continued glorious sunshine :lol3

haahahahhaah that´s right!! hahhahhaha