Kokos Goldfish Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Guest Hooker

Oranges

Guest Hooker

How do you prepare oranges for your fish? :druel

I peel the rhine(sp?) a.k.a "the peel" off of the orange, pull off a section of the orange, peel the thin white skin off of the fruit, and drop it in the tank. I know some people will cut the orange up into sections, and drop a section in the tank with the peel on so it floats at the top of the tank. Whichever you choose, don't leave it in the tank for too long...it will get messy! ;)

Guest Hooker

The acids from the fruit won't harm the water?

not to my knowledge :huh: ......but if you do leave it in the tank for too long it can cloud the water....

normally when I feed them that I will do a 20% water change the next day since it makes a real mess on the tank. Just a warning :lol2

Guest Hooker

Should I feed them fish food daily, and try to mix it up a bit once and awhile? Or, should I feed them mostly fresh foods?

I usually try to mix things up for a diet......but primarly I feed my fish flakes(most flake/pellet foo you come across now adays is usually well balanced for your fish). I usually try to feed mine more protien in the spring/summer months though(breeding season) and a little bit less during the winter time.

Anyhow :D , varying the diet of your fish is a good thing....just make sure it's not something you don't want to feed them in abundance(i.e. oranges, eggs, peas......don't get me wrong they're great for your fish...just messy! ;) )

The acids from the fruit won't harm the water?

Actually, citrus fruit *can* lower the pH of the water if it is already low and you have a low KH (buffering capacity) too. It won't affect water with a normal pH and KH though. :)