Kokos Goldfish Forum
Sign in to follow this  
dnalex

REVIEW: Repashy Soilent Green Gel (Premix Powder)

Repashy is over rated lol j/k I want some

I might try the community plus on them then. The other seem to be a little too high in protein (?)

I might try the community plus on them then. The other seem to be a little too high in protein (?)

It's actually not, because remember that you dilute it out 4 times. For my little guys, I am giving them mostly spawn & grow with some soilent green and community plus. So far, my white oranda over there has stayed all white :)

So! When I get my little sample, do you think it'd be best to mix it into cold water and microwave it, or boil water and then stir the mix in?

So! When I get my little sample, do you think it'd be best to mix it into cold water and microwave it, or boil water and then stir the mix in?

I have to do it stove top, I dont have a microwave. :o Works just fine that way :)

I've done it both ways, and they work out just fine. I use a microwave now, simply because it's faster :)

Now I'm gonna watch for color changes! It should be interesting as Spot, my big Comet is all white but there is a tinge of yellow to his tailfin. And I have a mostly white baby Oranda has a few orange spots AND a yellow belly!

Are ya'll mostly supplementing their meals with Solient Green OR mainly feeding Solient Green? I am trying to decide if I should feed BOTH Mazuri & Solient Green. I have fed Mazuri for quite awhile & have a good bit. BUT, having said that, I want to do what's best for my goldies!! Input (as ALWAYS) appreciated!!

Jeanna, I would finish the Mazuri. There is no point in wasting food. I would do half and half until all is done.

To answer your question, I feed my bigger fish all Repashy now (mostly soilent green). My smaller fish get Repashy & Pro-Gold. There is no beating Pro-Gold for growth! :)

If all don't know by now I'll say it again~~~I LOVE this stuff (except for the smell) but a small price to pay for a quality food like this...........super easy to make...fish love it.......keeps well for up to 2 wks in fridge.......can be frozen for up to a year.........so it does last a good long while (I only have 2 golds) so others may see their supply to faster..............but I give this food an AAAAAAA+++++++++++!

I just got my sample pack in the mail. So excited.

I had to make a batch right away, so now there's a half cup in my fridge and another in my freezer, all cut up and waiting for tonight's feeding. I tossed a little sliver into my tropical tank just to see how they liked it, and naturally the corydoras swarmed it, so if nothing else it's got their seal of approval. :D

alex,

sent a review of the product to allen~~~ gave it A+'S................ :clapping:

I will post here too, I have received my sample but am not going to use it yet, since some fish are still on MMs for their floatines. Afterwards I will feed them the repashy (with probiotics mixed in) though, and then everyone will get my review :)

Thanks a lot, Alex! Seriously :):heart

EDIT: One question: the package says that the finished gel can last for up to 24 hours. Does this refer to after "dropping into the tank" or to "when refrigerated"?

I thought I remembered reading that after making gel out of it, it last for up to 2 weeks in the fridge.

Just making sure :)

Edited by Oerba Yun Fang

I believe it means you can keep it in the tank for up to 24 hours.

I believe it means you can keep it in the tank for up to 24 hours.

Fang, I'm not sure what it means, either, and it may be as Evening says. That's funny, since the food won't even last 10 minutes in my tanks :rofl

Yeah, I don't think it's gonna be a problem, it was all gone in ten minutes for me too, and I gave them a half-teaspoon chunk instead of some nice bite size cubes.

Edited by Evening

I wrote a pretty long review so sorry about the rambling, I just wanted to make sure I was clear about everything! Here is what I sent Allen. I forgot to mention that Tank 2 had just finished a 14 day round of MMs... oops. Anyway.

I received and made my first batch of the Soilent Green on Monday, July 30th. In the past, I made my own gel food from Knox gelatin, spirulina flakes, pea baby food, and Pro Gold. It was such a mess and it didn't keep very long (I wasn't happy with how the consistency after freezing) so I switched to only Pro Gold with pea and green bean supplements.

I have 3 goldfish tanks.

Tank 1 has a single small lionhead. I've only had this guy for 2 ½ weeks.

Tank 2 has a 7” oranda and a 5” ranchu with notorious buoyancy issues. This tank seems to always have issues. Definitely my high maintenance tank.

Tank 3 has a 6” black moor, a 3” ryukin, and a 3 1/2” telescope. This is my lowest maintenance tank. They seem to thrive no matter what the diet is.

I loved how easy this stuff is to make. The smell is something else but no worse than the gel food I used to make myself. It solidified quickly and I noticed it was much firmer and easier to handle than my own gel food. It cubed nicely and I liked the consistency.

Tank 1 – It took the little guy a couple days to find a taste for the stuff. I was worried he may have lost his appetite so I dropped a pellet of Pro Gold and he devoured it. He did, however, begin to like it after about day 3. I see no difference between your product and Pro Gold as far as his behavior goes.

Tank 2 – The ranchu was thrilled about it from day one. The oranda decided she didn't like it on day 2, but changed her mind on day 3. Not much difference in the oranda but my ranchu seems to have zero buoyancy issues anymore. This alone sold me on your product. I'm so happy to have my ranchu back instead of staring at a “bobber” all the time. When I feed her mostly veggies, she loses a lot of weight and doesn't look right, but if I feed more more protein, she instantly bobs. I also noticed some yellow on her toward day 4, which I thought was pretty cool. These two fish are also really into gulping air at the surface after meals, which they still did even on this new gel food.

Tank 3 – They all loved it and I see no difference in behavior or appearance.

Overall, I'm totally thrilled with this Soilent Green. It's so easy to make and my fish are doing very well on it so far. I haven't frozen it yet so I have no input on the consistency after freezing but because of the ease of making it, I'm fine with just making a batch every week and keeping it in the fridge. I noticed more fish waste at the bottom of the tanks but I'm totally ok with that, just means everything is moving through!

Whoa!! They should call this "Gel Food for Dummies"!!

It is sooo easy to make. All 3 of my goldies loved it. One of the snails tried to get to it but the goldies gobbled it up too fast. I will isolate the snails in order for them to get a taste of the Soilent Green. Even my bettas ate it up. I am going to give my neighbor some to try out on her guppies.

I was a little worried about the smell after reading this thread. But, honestly, it's a lot better than changing a diaper or cleaning up kid's vomit!! :ill

I think I got the 8 oz bag and it will probably last me a loooong time. Is it OK to feed half this, half pellets? My fish are between 6 months to a couple of years old and not very big. I will be very interested to see how my ryukin, who is prone to floatiness if he eats too much, does with this.

I am very impressed at how simple this is to make and the high quality ingredients.

Thanks so much for pointing us to such a great product, Alex!

I'm glad your fish like it! I especially love the easy to make part :D

I see no reason why cannot or should not feed both this and pellets. :)

I have to try this soon! I've been feeding a pellet mix or progold, omega one, and spirulina. But I'm really interested if this is as easy to make as everyone says.

It honestly is. You just mix one part powder to three parts hot water, stir, and let it set.

All of my fish have decided they like it. The BN plec now comes out to chow down, leaving my (Much bigger) goldfish to sit back and wait their turn. When he's had his fill they'll both go right for it and chow down, pausing only to chew. My fantail has actually started going white, and I'm interested to see if he yellows up again on this food.

Oh dear. Did a big water change then fed the Repashy. Since feeding, I've noticed lots of "activity" . . . another water change may be in order tomorrow! :teehee

I'm going to try this because even with all the peas I give, the progold, and tetra fin plus still makes my fantail pretty floaty. Parts of him have turned quite yellow, I think from the extra algae in the flakes but I figure he needs the greens. I am getting tired of shelling peas and alot of times they disintegrate when I put them in the water which contributes to dirty looking water which I really don't like.

How are you cutting this up, meaning in a big chunk or are you cutting it into bite size pieces.

How are you cutting this up, meaning in a big chunk or are you cutting it into bite size pieces.

Me? I cut the gel into cute little bite sized cubes :rofl

OK that is what I did too. They ate it real well. I'm going to feed it a couple more times and then write my review. thank you everyone,