Kokos Goldfish Forum
Sign in to follow this  
dnalex

REVIEW: Repashy Soilent Green Gel (Premix Powder)

I have decided that due to the girls loving this.............this will be their main food, along with pro gold of course,...........can't wait to try the community plus and the meat pie.................and to try the ones I froze............with all the fish being smaller fish right now I believe the food should last a good LONG while....still working on the original soilent green I made !!.................... :clapping:

Okay! Okay!! I just ordered some to try!!

I feed a variety of stuff...Mazuri has been the main food for awhile but this sounds EVEN BETTER! So I found a decent deal (well, nobody's GIVING this stuff away for sure!!) on 4 oz & now I can't wait to give it a try!!

Ya'll are a good influence and a bad influence AT THE SAME TIME!!! LOL!!

Edited by Jeana727

Awesome Alex! I still have a TONNNNN of my homemade batch left, but once that runs out, I'll probably give this a try! I wonder if I could substitute the powder with the veggies I pureed in my homemade recipe...less little leaf floaties (no matter how much I pureed, I couldn't get all of it) in the water. Hmm....

Awesome Alex! I still have a TONNNNN of my homemade batch left, but once that runs out, I'll probably give this a try! I wonder if I could substitute the powder with the veggies I pureed in my homemade recipe...less little leaf floaties (no matter how much I pureed, I couldn't get all of it) in the water. Hmm....

That recipe is pretty complete, and I can tell you that my efforts to deviate too much from the simple directions caused it not to gel together so well. You can certainly add blood worms and small amounts of other things to the gel, but that's about it if you want to preserve the consistency. The way he has it, it's pretty much perfect consistency wise. It doesn't break in the water, or cloud, yet it is pretty soft, actually :)

I wanted to try adding boiled and pureed carrot.

LOL. Why? There are tons of color enhancers in the mix, I think

I guess I'm pretty much lazy when it comes to gel food............I wanted simple and easy..............Repashy fills the bill................I plan to add nothing. :thumb:

You're right, it probably doesn't need it. I just get frustrated that I can't get my fish to eat it. :P

I guess I'm pretty much lazy when it comes to gel food............I wanted simple and easy..............Repashy fills the bill................I plan to add nothing. :thumb:

Winner winner chicken Dinner :rofl

Ok! I got mine!! And I whipped up a batch!! ((Whew...it IS stinky!!)) I let it sit up (The making & sitting up is VERY fast) Then I decided to freeze most of it (like I have always done with the Mazuri) & I keep a little container thawed in the frig for daily feeding. BUT I did go ahead & fed them some just to see if there was a big fuss!! The answer is YES THERE WAS. They are STILL poking around the bottom finding every little scrap of it!

Looks like a vote of confidence on their part!! (And from me too!!)

Ok! I got mine!! And I whipped up a batch!! ((Whew...it IS stinky!!)) I let it sit up (The making & sitting up is VERY fast) Then I decided to freeze most of it (like I have always done with the Mazuri) & I keep a little container thawed in the frig for daily feeding. BUT I did go ahead & fed them some just to see if there was a big fuss!! The answer is YES THERE WAS. They are STILL poking around the bottom finding every little scrap of it!

Looks like a vote of confidence on their part!! (And from me too!!)

Woot! Do you like it better than Mazuri?

Hhmmm, I don't know yet. I have used Mazuri for along time. BUT having said that, it IS very easy to make & they REALLY seemed to like it ALOT!!!

Now when the ingredients say "whole krill MEAL, whole Squid MEAL" what exactly does that meal? The squid (or whatever) is tossed in a ground up or is something added?)

They definately liked it. They poked around the bottom for scraps for ALONG time!! :)

When they say whole fish meal, for example, the entire fish is used the process. This is a good thing. When it just says fish meal, it means that the parts used as scraps leftover from other purposes now being used to make the food.

You will find that is one of the distinguishing factors between quality fish food versus the others; quality food will be made from whole fish, krill, squid meal etc., and that these will be among the first three ingredients listed.

I LOVE THIS FOOD!!!

It is so simple to make, it is clean in the tanks, and the fish ADORE IT! AWESOME!

I LOVE THIS FOOD!!!

It is so simple to make, it is clean in the tanks, and the fish ADORE IT! AWESOME!

Are you absolutely sure, CFF? Are you? Because I have some seafood flakes I can send you! :rofl :rofl :rofl

I do like how it says that it can be stored in a sealed container in the fridge for up to two weeks. I used to keep my own gel food for 5 days; 7 days at most, then I didn't feel confident enough about feeding it anymore.

I'd probably just add probiotics and a little bit of echinacea powder, but that is all. Feeding veggies additionally though, as well as frozen foods for the variety.

You're right, it probably doesn't need it. I just get frustrated that I can't get my fish to eat it. :P

Try adding some garlic powder. It won't add much substance to it, but if you add 1/4 teaspoon of garlic powder to the 1/4 cup dry mix, it might just work. Almost all goldfish love garlic.

I am really looking forward to trying this next month when I have some more money! And hearing all of your suggestions and reviews is really so helpful and enlightening to a noob like me! I was wondering, is this something you could cut into a long sheet and place in a veggie clip for them to nibble all day or is it best being fed in small meals?

I am really looking forward to trying this next month when I have some more money! And hearing all of your suggestions and reviews is really so helpful and enlightening to a noob like me! I was wondering, is this something you could cut into a long sheet and place in a veggie clip for them to nibble all day or is it best being fed in small meals?

Unfortunately, because the gel is actually quite soft, you can cut it into strips, but you won't be able to clip it. Also, goldfish being goldfish, they will just eat and eat and eat. :rofl

It's better to feed it small meals still :)

Yes, I suspect this is probably the truth! :P

Thank you very much, Alex! I can't WAIT to see my little man grow with this!

Try adding some garlic powder. It won't add much substance to it, but if you add 1/4 teaspoon of garlic powder to the 1/4 cup dry mix, it might just work. Almost all goldfish love garlic.

Oh, I meant the carrot. Haven't gotten my Repashy yet. The garlic trick might still work though...

Are you absolutely sure, CFF? Are you? Because I have some seafood flakes I can send you! :rofl :rofl :rofl

Uhhhhh. Thanks Alex, I think I will pass! ROFL!

How would one add the probiotics? I don't like adding them to hot mixes incase they denature. And adding it to the cooled gel seems impossible... Has anyone done it yet?

I haven't tried. I think you just wait until right before you pour it into the mould. I find that it cools really fast.

The only thing which I am not loving is that it is making my beautiful SW a little yellow looking. Would any of their other foods be a little lower in color enhancers?

I am sure it will be great for the orange fish tho!

The only thing which I am not loving is that it is making my beautiful SW a little yellow looking. Would any of their other foods be a little lower in color enhancers?

I am sure it will be great for the orange fish tho!

All that algae...my panda is having some yellow, too, but I love it. :rofl

I think that the spawn & grown and meat pie, and community plus might be better on the white fish, Fede.