Kokos Goldfish Forum
Sign in to follow this  
dnalex

REVIEW: Repashy Soilent Green Gel (Premix Powder)

Hello,

As some of you know, I've been on a constant quest to find the right food for my goldfish ever since I started keeping goldies again. There are tons of really good commercial pellets foods out there, including Pro-Gold, Saki Hikari, Omega One, and NLS, but by necessity, all of these foods contain a significant amount of starchy fillers, which at best is just unnecessary and at worst can cause digestive issues (gas/floatiness) for the fish. One way to eliminate this problem is to make your own gel food, which allows you to control exactly what goes into the food, including your choice of binding agents. I've been making my own gel food for a while now, and while it's been working out pretty well, I still wasn't completely satisfied, because I'm not entirely happy with the ratio of plant to animal matter in the mix, and the fact that if I make a sizeable batch I have to freeze the food, sometimes for over a month. Ideally, I want a food that has lots of algae, a good amount of animal protein (coming from things like krill and squid), good amounts of vitamins, no or low fillers, and is easy/convenient to make. I think I've found it.! :)

About a month ago, I happened across some discussions about a newish gel food powder mix for fish. It's made by Allen Repashy of the gecko food fame, and it's called Soilent Green. I've been trying out this product for my goldfish for the last three weeks, and I think it's an amazing food. Because of this, and other premix gel food from Mr. Repashy, I won't be making by own gel food any time soon. It's really that good. :)

PRODUCT NAME: SOILENT GREEN GEL

MANUFACTURER: ALLEN REPASHY

PRODUCT DESCRIPTION:

This formula is labeled for “Aufwuchs” eaters, which is a combination of Green Algae, Diatoms, small plants, along with the small organisms such as insect larvae, crustaceans, rotifers, protazoans, and snails, that live with them on the surface of hard substrates such as rocks . Many species of fish such as Mbuna Cichlids and Plecos are well developed for scraping these hard surfaces for whatever nutrients they can find. These species do eat a lot of algae, but it is the small meaty treats that they relish and what really makes them grow and thrive. This formula is a no expense spared blend of algae (25% of formula), combined with highest quality aquatic animal protein, to provide a perfect blend of algae and aquatic organism protein. This product can be used as an all around omnivore diet for fish, shrimp, crabs, and snails, but if your tank consists of species that rarely eat algae, our “Community Plus” Omnivore Gel might be a better choice. 45% protein.

INGREDIENTS:

Chlorella Algae, Spirulina Algae, Whole Krill Meal, Whole Squid Meal, Whole Sardine Meal, Alfalfa Leaf Meal, Whole Anchovy Meal, Germinated Brown Rice Protein Concentrate, Pea Protein Isolate, Dried Brewers Yeast, Stabilized Rice Bran, Dried Kelp, Carrageenan Algae, Konjac, Carob Bean Gum, Schizochytrium Algae, Calcium Carbonate, Dicalcium Phosphate, Taurine, Potassium Citrate, Calcium Propionate, Phaffia Rhodozyma Yeast, Paprika Extract, Calendula Flower Powder, Marigold Flower Extract, Rose Hips Powder, Turmeric Root Powder, Malic Acid, Sodium Chloride, Canthaxanthin, Potassium Sorbate, Magnesium Gluconate, Lecithin, Rosemary Extract and Mixed Tocopherols (as preservatives), Vitamins (Vitamin A Supplement, Vitamin D Supplement, Choline Chloride, Ascorbic Acid, Vitamin E Supplement, Niacin, Beta Carotene, Pantothenic Acid, Riboflavin, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride, Thiamine Mononitrate, Menadione Sodium Bisulfite Complex, Folic Acid, Biotin, Vitamin B-12 Supplement).

Guaranteed Analysis: Crude Protein min. 45%, Crude Fat min. 6%, Crude Fat max. 8%, Crude Fiber max. 8%, Moisture max. 8%, Ash max. 12%, Calcium min. 1.5%, Calcium max. 2%, Phosphorus min. 0.75%.

DIRECTIONS:

To prepare one cup of product, add ¼ cup of powder into ¾ cup of cold water and stir until blended. Microwave until it starts to boil (typically 2-3 minutes), remove and stir. Alternatively, bring water to a boil on stove, remove from heat, and stir in powder. Immediately pour into a storage container or mould, and let sit at room temp until firm. The finished gel can be cut into cubes, shredded, or used as a whole slab. Whatever is not used immediately should be treated as fresh food. It can be stored sealed in refrigerator for up to two weeks, and in freezer for up to six months. To adjust firmness of gel, use more or less water as desired.

REVIEWER COMMENTS:

If you look at the ingredients, you can see that this product is excellent for goldfish, whose omnivorous diet consists of a lot of algae and other plant matters, along with a good helping of animal proteins. There is very little by way of filler products. As a keeper of fancy goldfish, some of which have susceptibilities to floatiness, this product is fantastic to use. My fish have not been floaty at all when I use this food, whereas a couple of them become very floaty of pellets, even with such fantastic premium foods such as Pro-Gold.

PROS:

- no floatiness in goldfish

- excellent composition of ingredients

- extremely easy to make

- allows you to make as little or as much as you want

- can be frozen and thawed later, if you want to make a big batch

- can last in the fridge for up to 2 weeks

- powder will last for 18+ months

- facilitates adding probiotics or meds to the power to make medicated gel food when needed

- fish really like it

- can feed other types of fish as well (tropicals and marine)

CONS:

- STINKS!!! (like a fresh bog :rofl)

- expensive! (Repashy has multiple sizes, from 2oz to 4 pounds. It becomes much more economical when you buy a big bag)

DEMONSTRATION :)

COMPARISON TO MAZURI GEL POWDER:

How does the Repashy gel compare to Mazuri? There is no comparison. A while back, I bought some Mazuri, and after several unsuccessful attempts to arrive at the right consistency for the gel, I gave up on the also expensive Mazuri gel. I also really didn't like the fact that the binding agent for Mazuri gel is gelatin. Mazuri gel food made my fish really floaty. :(

FINAL WORDS:

I recommend Repashy Soilent Green Gel highly. It's somewhat expensive, but worth it. As someone who's been trying to find the best food that is most suitable for my aquatic babies, I'm really glad I found this line of food. I give this product 5 stars (out of 5). I'm also about to test other gel mixes from Allen Repashy, and will review those as well.

11/07/12 Edit: Our forum is now being sponsored by Tastyworms.com, who carries the Repashy foods, along with many other things. Please support our sponsor buy these products from them! :)

:#1 :#1 :#1:clapping: for repashy & alex

"10 minutes later - still omnoming"

Very cool! I'd love to try that, but you saying it is EXPENSIVE scares me a bit. You know, I tend to buy expensive stuff as trial and then it doesn't work. I have a few fish that still tend to get floaty easily. Both the teles and Wakka, and occasionally Vanille. Usually after eating.

Where exactly did you buy it? Link? I wanna go check it out. :)

You can buy it direct from the Repashy store, or from Ted's fish room. However, wait for me. I will be able to help you out so that you can try the product! Give me a few days to get things together. :)

I can't wait to try it!

Your fish are nuts tho! Look at them CHEWING!!!

I am especially excited about NO floating AND how easy it is to make. I was getting nervous of having to explain to fiancé how to make gel while I am gone. This seems perfect for him!

Oh cool, awesome! Thanks, Alex!

Do you think it would be a good idea to add acidophilus to the mix, for the floaters? It shouldn't hurt trying, huh?

You should be able to add it, or anything else for that matter. I haven't tried to do that yet, but plan to do so at some point. :)

Great review :) I can't wait to try it out!

cool review :) i was going to purchase some but with hubby just laid off I'll wait a bit now :(

excellent review Alex.. now i hate you moar!.. (coz it's not avail. here) :P

Great Review! :) I would definitely spend my money on it if it were available here!

Great review!!! I'm thinking about trying this out. I really do love making gel food from scratch, but this would be awesome for some variance in their diet. And looks super easy too!

great review Alex, I cant' wait to try mine...........any day now !!

Great review Alex! I'm even more excited now!

I can confirm that my fish really go for this too-and the simplicity is worth the price of admission! Too soon to see any other benefits,but will report back when I do. I'm thinking about combining the S/G w/ the Community mix the next time-and will add Probiotics. Alex,do you know a safe level of probiotics to add? I wouldn't know where to begin with that............

Why are you combining the soilent green with the community mix?

In any case, probiotics is at 20,000,000 cells per gram of food.

Just for a little variety? I saw somewhere that someone mixed all of the trial sizes together and their fish loved it.Is there a reason not to?

Is there a reason not to?

Yes, there is every reason NOT to mix lol. At least for me, the reason why I think the product is so fantastic is because it contains about 25% algae, which I think is fantastic. When you mix it with the community plus, you drastically lower this percentage, and to me, it's not as good.

I also have the community plus, and I intend to feed them that, too, but only as the occasional meal.

You made my fish hungry..... :Scoff:

SOLD!! I've always wanted to try gel food but just reading how others have struggled with it made me not do it. (To say I'm not a whiz in the kitchen is an understatement.) But I think even I can handle microwave for 2 minutes. Actually that's what most of my "cooking" entails!! :)

I am definitely going to get some SOON!!

Thanks for the excellent review, Alex.

That's one of the things I like about the Repashy food. It is just so easy to make! :)

It sounds great. Alex thanks for the review. I've been needing to try something new for Fluffy since she floats on all the dry prepared foods I've tried.

When I get home, I will definitely look into the Repashy.

Mj

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using Tapatalk 2

I think this is the stuff Castor needs in his diet because he gets a little floaty with pro gold so I have to feed him vary tiny amounts all throughout the day with veggies to prevent his floaty issues. Checking the site out now ;) Alex thank you for writing this review :)

Ooohhh, I can't wait to try it!

Observations;

1. 24hr after testing, one fish (face is half red and half white wen), had some sort of allergic reaction(?), the white part of his face went pink-red and looked swollen, so i put him in 0.3 salt, and within 24hrs, his face is back to normal. During his salting and since, i continued to feed him it and he was fine so no idea what that was all about. All the others no reaction to the food.I did panic a little when i saw his inflamed swollen face. But all good now.

2. And another fish, now refuses to eat pellets, she spits it out, swallows again, spits it out, and swallows pellet and spits it out and swims off.....she just wants repashy gel......."miss high maintenance" lol

3. Its good for QT fish.....its soft texture makes it less harder to eat than sucking on hard pellets.

4. Like the fact that i could never put so much ingredients in homemade gels...although now because it sinks so well....i can abit of fibre(wheatgerm and bran) to their diet for the floaty ones....

5. It could be the room lighting or it could be theres more ingreds, but i do believe their coat/scales is more shiny....that or i'm doing to much water change lol