Kokos Goldfish Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Wango

Zucchini questions

Okay I am going to start buying zucchini for my goldfish ...Do i need to cook it first,?

I am guessing they dont eat the skin too?

hehe

zuccini is excellent for goldies, i include it in every batch of gelfood i make for my fish.

yes, please peel the skin off, then remove the seeds by cutting the zuccini length wise in quarters (i found this to be the easiest way to remove the seeds and end up with a good amount of zuccini :) )

after that, just get some tank water into a small saucepot and boil the zuccini in that until very soft. chop it up into bite sized fishy pieces, allow to cool and feed :)

epic thanks hehehe

I cut a couple of slices of zucchini, put them in a small amt of un-chlorinated or tank water and microwave them in a small bowl for about 2.5 minutes. When they cool off I cut off the skin and cut the area around the seeds into small bite size chunks and refrigerate them in a baggy for the week until they're gone.

Edited by cmclien

oooooo....it looks like Caldwell and Febber will be getting a zucchini treat in the near future ~~~ :clapping:

My goldies love, love loooove them some cooked zucchini.

I always have it on hand because of my herbivore lizard.

Definitely listen to Stakos, that is the best way to prepare it. I just use a potato peeler to pull long slices off of mine, though! xD

Newton likes zucchini as well... but I hand´t thought to blanch it in tank water. Honestly, we put little bits in a tea cup and pour boiling water from the kettle over it, wait for it to cool off and feed it. I suspect that we do not have very chlorinated water (it comes from a lake up the mountain) but is this in general a risky thing to do?

Nah it's no big deal.

Newton likes zucchini as well... but I hand´t thought to blanch it in tank water. Honestly, we put little bits in a tea cup and pour boiling water from the kettle over it, wait for it to cool off and feed it. I suspect that we do not have very chlorinated water (it comes from a lake up the mountain) but is this in general a risky thing to do?

If the water has been boiled, than the chlorine is pretty much gone. I still have always used tank water since I only blanch things for a few seconds to a minute in the microwave to soften them enough. I use new water when making gel food, since the water is boiled during the process. :)

Edited by Narny105

Zucchini is courgette, right? :P

My goldies like it, I feed it blanched and in their gel food. I also just use a little water out of the tap/kettle to cook veggies when I blanch them. I make sure to use tank/dechlorinated water when cooking veggies for gel food though, as I use the water in the gel food :)

Edited by viking_snail

I'll never understand how a country with so much animosity toward france would willingly have their words for vegetables foisted on them. :P

I'll never understand how a country with so much animosity toward france would willingly have their words for vegetables foisted on them.

Mwahahahahahahahahahaha.

Touch?.

See what I did there? :rofl

Hey, we Americans have a long history of friendship and cooperation with the French. The English, not so much. :P

:rofl No here is where you have it wrong - we just took what we liked from them and claimed it as ours :rofl

Thank you so much for the thread. I have always wondered whether Zucchini is suitable for goldies! :) Thanks!

I personally never remove the seeds. They are always what my fish chomp up first :D

I never notices they had seeds.... slow but steady here...

Can you prepare this and freeze some for later?

Guest Billium

The koi and comets in my pond shred up a whole zucchini in a matter of minutes. Never fed them these till I found this forum. My koi are loving it!