Kokos Goldfish Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Emzyp

Oranda wen no longer :(

Day two: 100% water change, Melafix treatment (3rd day) Aquarium salt added (2nd day)

I am pleased with the slow healing progress of his head,its looking not so raw, but when i looked at him this morning he has blackish marks on his head/shoulder/back area...what is this? Is it from the treatment and should i be as concerned as i am?

Here are some pictures

b58fbc75.jpg

a66067a6.jpg

872ed3b0.jpg

2797ccac.jpg

He looks to me like he is pineconing? I'm sure Alex will see this soon and reply since I really don't know what you should do, this is just an observation

Yeah I just noticed that too, hopefully alex can give you directions soon on how to help that situation. Did you order metro meds? Im guessing you'll need those....

Do you have Metro Meds?

I agree this fish has Dropy's now, Whats the temp of his tank?

Looks like he never mentioned metro meds before, I dont like to chime in too much because Alex is so experienced but I think I should suggest order them asap so they can come quick if you need them. You often need epsom salt in this situation too. If he doesnt suggest them, youll have them for back up because they are commonly used in the goldy world :)

http://www.goldfishconnection.com/shop/listing.php?parentId=5

You have all confirmed my suspicions. :( The day after i got him i noticed that from certain angles i could see his scales sticking out. My head said i should take him back to the shop but my heart said no you can fix him.

Out of interest when i got him i tested the water he was in from the shop and the readings werent good. nitrite 0.25-0.50 ammonia 0.50-1.0 nitrate 15

I immediatly started with interpet anti internal bacteria, but then after some research found people had better outcomes with melafix, hence why i already had this treatment needed for the latest incident (being the topic of this thread)

correct me if im wrong, but i dont think i can get this metro meds you say because im in england?

You have all confirmed my suspicions. :( The day after i got him i noticed that from certain angles i could see his scales sticking out. My head said i should take him back to the shop but my heart said no you can fix him.

Out of interest when i got him i tested the water he was in from the shop and the readings werent good. nitrite 0.25-0.50 ammonia 0.50-1.0 nitrate 15

I immediatly started with interpet anti internal bacteria, but then after some research found people had better outcomes with melafix, hence why i already had this treatment needed for the latest incident (being the topic of this thread)

correct me if im wrong, but i dont think i can get this metro meds you say because im in england?

Im not that great with all the meds names. But I know Alex does :thumb: But there is a med that you can get and mix it in with Gel food.

Once Alex see this We will get this figured out. What is the temp hes in now? Can you Try and look in the gills and tell me what color they are? :)

Hello, I'm sorry that he is dropsying. I think that the sequence of events is that he got sick, and then got stuck and picked on :(

You need something with metronidazole, and quickly. There are several ways to do this, and perhaps the quickest is trying to ask the GP and/or vet to give you some. You can order it from eBay, but will take some time. The other option is to ask other UK members to post you some.

In the meantime, take out all salts by doing a 100% WC. Then, add back Melafix and 1/4 teaspoons per 10 gallons of water. Heat up the tank to 80 degrees.

Let me know how goes.

The temperature is 22.c

As for the gill colour, thats a tough one to answer. how do i go about checking them? his head growth runs all down the cheeks so its harder to tell than a smooth cheeked fish,if that makes sense?!

But when he swims to the top of the tank and i look at him from underneath, theyre definately pink, proberly more dark than pale pink.

Im sorry for the vague answer

Im by far no expert on these things (yet!!)....

Is it possible that the black colouration is due to ammonia burn? (or can dropsy cause this colouration?)

What are the water parameters in the QT tank before and after water changes?

Edited by PhoPho

Hello, I'm sorry that he is dropsying. I think that the sequence of events is that he got sick, and then got stuck and picked on :(

You need something with metronidazole, and quickly. There are several ways to do this, and perhaps the quickest is trying to ask the GP and/or vet to give you some. You can order it from eBay, but will take some time. The other option is to ask other UK members to post you some.

In the meantime, take out all salts by doing a 100% WC. Then, add back Melafix and 1/4 teaspoons per 10 gallons of water. Heat up the tank to 80 degrees.

Let me know how goes.

Well iv been doing some research and this medicine is illegal in the uk and places online arent delivering outside of us or itl end up getting stuck in customs.

I found a thread on here last updated in may this year and a member cathface says she may have some from her cousin who visited from us but i cant work out how to pm her, or i dont have enough posts for this option. Can someone help me out there please?

The only other option it seems is to ask my vet,but theyre not open now until monday.

Referring to your post alex, you want me to do another waterchange and continue with melafix but i didnt understand this bit of your post

(Then, add back Melafix)and 1/4 teaspoons per 10 gallons of water

also i thought aquarium salt would help with dropsy?

What are the water parameters in the QT tank before and after water changes?

I havent been testing them because i am doing 100% water changes daily

The aquarium salt won't help with dropsy, and may make the fish work harder to expel water. So we don't want that. EPSOM salt, or magnesium sulfate, will help draw water out.

Metronidazole isn't sold in the UK, but you can order it from an eBay seller from Greece. Other members have done that. It takes too long though. There is a UK section here. Will you post there and see if anyone has some

metro based meds they can send you? I'll see if I can ask someone as well.

Ok gills sound ok to me.... Ill Pm her and get her attention hun :thumb:

Ok gills sound ok to me.... Ill Pm her and get her attention hun :thumb:

Thankyou :)

ooh thanks for the PM, Koko! sorry I've not been on the forum as much, my job that I just quit had been trying to work me into the ground for a pittance they call a wage lol. anyway, I'm very very sorry, Emzyp, but my cousin is not visiting until the 3rd of August, and I can't even confirm if she will be bringing MMs over (she's quite hard to reach as she's always busy with her job). if she does bring them with her, I will definitely post some next day delivery if your oranda is still holding on! but at this point, I can't be sure. :( fingers crossed for your handsome boy.

Just happened on here......

I have mm and Metronidazole ( from my xmaz vacation to usa).........what do you need?

haven't read the whole thread.......

how much do you need?

Metronidazole powder that is

Just happened on here......

I have mm and Metronidazole ( from my xmaz vacation to usa).........what do you need?

haven't read the whole thread.......

how much do you need?

Metronidazole powder that is

Hi Coco.

Thanks for your post,i have never used either before and i dont know how much i need but maybe Alex will see this and tell me what i need and how much and then we could arrange something between us if that would be okay with you? :)

ooh thanks for the PM, Koko! sorry I've not been on the forum as much, my job that I just quit had been trying to work me into the ground for a pittance they call a wage lol. anyway, I'm very very sorry, Emzyp, but my cousin is not visiting until the 3rd of August, and I can't even confirm if she will be bringing MMs over (she's quite hard to reach as she's always busy with her job). if she does bring them with her, I will definitely post some next day delivery if your oranda is still holding on! but at this point, I can't be sure. :( fingers crossed for your handsome boy.

Hi Cathface, thankyou so much for getting back to me,not to worry though,i know it was a long shot because the post i saw of yours was a few months old.Thankyou though :)

Coco, if you can send about 1 gram of the metro powder, that would be fantastic. The OP can order more from that Greek eBay store.

Thank you :)

You guys are amazing :hug

Morning all........and its still raining heavily in muggy wet uk......my outdoor bamboos are loving the downpour, not the bamboo owner though......urgh

Okay got it.........no problem, anything to help a fishy.....how can one say no to that sad little face....

@ Emzyp...let me have your address, will put 1g in a ziplock bag for you, and i'll post on monday morning, and you should get it tues all being well.

Em....warning on the bottle for you: state of california warning: detectable amounts of chemicals to cause cancer/birth defects or other reproductive harm. avoid breathing powder or dust. Use in a non-drafty area.

No need to get alarmed, tie a towel around your nose and mouth or something, and wash your hands after.

Em i think this is the one, Alex is asking you to get....delivery takes about 1-2 weeks,

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Metronidazole-250mg-20-Tablets-Aquarium-Fish-Antibiotic-AntimicrobialsFree-Ship-/251062003542?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3a74762756

oops am i allowed to post that link?

That is perfectly fine, coco! Thank you! :)

Coco -

if i give you my email address,can you email me please and we can sort address etc out through email, because i dont have enough posts yet to be able to private message you and no offence to anyone on here,i dont want you all knowing where i live!

My email address is elmo-87@hotmail.co.uk

Thankyou very much for your help

You're both welcome :)

good luck with it, and hopefully the tablet ones will arrive sooner than later.

Em if you have digital scales, can you double check its 1g (if that is what you need), i've given you just over, i think.