Kokos Goldfish Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Emzyp

Oranda wen no longer :(

I wasnt really sure what section to put this in.

I got up this morning & went to say hi to my fish as usual,only to find my new oranda wedged upside down inbetween my pump and the side of the aquarium.

I managed to free him/her but he looked abit grazed on his wen,but was glad to find him still alive as i dont know how long he'd been there.

I had to go to work & came home to find my other fish pecking at him & a vast majority of his head had disappeared,it was not a pretty sight. :(

I have just set up a hospital tank (all water is from the main tank) to put him in for a bit of peace because the others are pesting him.

There are images below, to warn viewers they arent very nice.

I am treating with melafix as i dont want an infection,is there anything else i can do & will his head grow back,

Any advice would be appreciated,im pretty gutted this has happened.

65da025c.jpg

3b5750b7.jpg

73dc1e82.jpg

6a767d2f.jpg

ecbfea15.jpg

Could you please hit the report button in your post and ask someone on the moderating team to move this to D&D? I can't move it because I'm on my phone.

Could you please post parameters for your main tank, along with a picture(s) of the set up? I'm trying to figure out why he might have stuck to the intake tube to begin with.

What size QT is he in? What filter(s)? Is he having problems in the tank, i.e. do you think he will be stuck again?

I'm sorry this is happening. Poor guy :(

here is a picture of the pump,its sort of built into the tank,in the lid pf the tank theres like a spray bar that then goes through onto the filter media.

So theres a box in the top half of tank which i assume has the propeller in,then a tube runs to nearly the bottom of the tank.He got wedged inbetween the tube and the tank.

920901d0.jpg

The water readings are

Nitrate 0

Ammonia 0

Nitrate 10

I dont know what the ph is as i didnt test it.

The tank hes in now is only 30l but its the only spare tank i have. Its a different filter, its basically just a sponge with a power head thing on top .its 400l/hr

Heres a picture of it,afraid its abit of a naff pic

20338533.jpg

If he makes it through this,which i really hope he does,i will have to sort another filter out on the main tank because it will most likely happen again.

I'm so sorry, I hope he recovers fully, he's a darling.

The QT tank is fine, and I would like for you to add aquarium salt (Saxo plain sea salt works fine as well) to 0.2%, which is 2 level teaspoons per 4L or water, or 2g/L. Make sure you dissolve it before adding to the tank, and go ahead and raise the salt immediately to 0.2%. The salt is there to help with the healing, and to prevent the wen from getting infected.

I would like for you to do 100% WCs on the QT daily, making sure to always match the temp (and pH).

Keep us updated, and fins crossed!

Oh, and because you have Melafix in the QT, make sure the tank is well-aerated :)

okay thankyou very much for your help,it is appreciated. I dont have any salt so will have to purchase some asap. Just one thing though,wouldnt 100% water changes mess up the nitrites,ammonia etc?

The 100% WC daily serves two purposes:

1) It gives your sick fish fresh water daily, and minimizes the number of bacteria etc that is in the water.

2) It prevents accumulation of ammonia, nitrites, and nitrates, which is exactly what you want.

:)

Oh man :( I'm so sorry this happened to your pretty oranda, poor guy!

Oh, poor dear... Hope he gets better.

Oh my goodness! Bless his little soul! Sending good vibes for a speedy recovery, he is absolutely precious.

All the best with recovery :) He's such a pretty little guy!

Good luck I am sending healing vibes <3 he looks like a amazing little fish :)

Oh, how terrible! I hope he makes a speedy recovery.

Do you have any idea if he was really stuck or if he was try to get away because he was being picked on?

oh the poor baby :( sending speed healing vibes asap :) please keep us posted :)

thankyou for your warm wishes. I am about to purchase some aquarium salt today. I must say although his head looks no different, he seems much happier in the QT tank than he was in the main one,he was obv being pestered too much.

The QT tank is fine, and I would like for you to add aquarium salt (Saxo plain sea salt works fine as well) to 0.2%, which is 2 level teaspoons per 4L or water, or 2g/L. Make sure you dissolve it before adding to the tank, and go ahead and raise the salt immediately to 0.2%.

I have just purchased API Aquarium salt, it says on the directions add half a rounded teaspoon for every 4 litres..

my tank is exactly 28l not 30l as i previously said.

Do i use the amount you said or what it says on the box? Also do i add it everyday after the waterchanges?

Edited by Emzyp

The amount on the box is typically for tropicals. Tropicals and goldies can tolerate different amounts of salt, so definitely go with what Alex posted :)

Also, add back the amount of salt you have taken out. So if you do a 50% water change, you need to add back half of what you originally added.

Edited by ashlee18

i would be following Alex's instructions on the salt.

poor darling, i am sure with your care, he will be fine.. i bet you that's one hairdresser he will NEVER go back to :P

Follow dnalex's instructions. He knows what he's doing.

Follow dnalex's instructions. He knows what he's doing.

Followed! Ive just done a 75% water change, i know you (Alex) said 100% but i didnt want to stress him anymore by moving him about while i completly emptied it. I have added salt and day two of melafix and have put the airstone on for a bit.

Oh, how terrible! I hope he makes a speedy recovery.

Do you have any idea if he was really stuck or if he was try to get away because he was being picked on?

Im 99% certain he got stuck on his own because he used to manage to get himself stuck amongst my amazon sword plants?! The other fish didnt really bother him until his head came off...bless!

I'm really determined to keep him alive cos i fell in love with him when i saw him & his character is coming out now :)

Thankyou everyone for your help and interest,i will update if things change

Fis crossed. The 75% WC may not be enough, and you will get ammonia.

Oh i see,il do 100% tomorrow then. First time iv taken advice from a complete stranger,but you sound like you know your stuff!! Thankyou fishy Guru! :)

I would definately follow Alex's advice. He is very experienced in fishkeeping :)

There are three big reason why 100% WCs are called for here:

1. In the event that the fish is infected, he will be shedding bacteria etc in the water. Doing 100% daily WCs allows the fish to leave the bugs behind and going to completely fresh water.

2. You are adding salt as treatment, and 100% WCs allow you to keep the level of salt at exactly the intended 0.2%. Smaller amounts of WCs mean that you will be approximating the amount of salt to replace, and you run into the risk of salt creep.

3. 100% WCs, as I indicated before, prevents the accumulation of any amount of the nitrogen products, because you remove them daily.

A 100% WC is no more stressful than a 75% WC. When you do water change, scoop your fish into a relatively big container (1 gallon) and keep him there until you finish. As long as you match temp and pH, you are fine. :)

I would follow Alex's advice with the grain of salt.

I mean...Just follow his advice...