Kokos Goldfish Forum
Sign in to follow this  
EvilVegan

I think I just saw a worm?

Um, my camera is broken so no pics, but as best as I can tell I just saw what looks like a tiny, blue-black inchworm-thingy. He was swimmin a bit in the current, latched on to a root, I tried to net him out, but lost him.

I don't have any fish, just one sword plant. I'm working on a fishless cycle.

Any suggestions?

He looked like he had feet (at this size it could be cilia), was less than half an inch long, and probably less than 1/32nd of an inch 1/2 a millimeter wide.

Edited by EvilVegan

Could it be a small fresh water leech ? I had 2 hitch a ride in buried deep inside moss balls. They can be tricky to catch.

Well if he's a leech he gonna die cuz I gots no fish. But I put some pre-filters on my sump return to stop him from getting back into the tank, so I think I'm good.

Did you add the bit about feet on later ? The leeches i had definately didn't have feet :)

Yeah... He looked like a caterpillar really. But super-duper small.

I think he's a ninja. I saw him again, went to get a net, and he's gone again...

Or a ghost. Your tank is haunted! :o

OK, so my power was off. I shined my light into the tank. I noticed that it had a huge number of suspended "bubbles". Upon closer inspection... my tank is FULL of white worms. They're less a millimeter long, but there are literally thousands. It looked like it was snowing in my tank. If snow were much smaller and moved on its own.

I'm still in a fishless cycle, and I think these are nematodes. I have a UV filter that isn't running while I'm cycling, so I'm pretty sure it will clean these bad boys out. . . but ew.

Ew.

Those are planaria.

Should I be worried? Will they go away?

I'm actually a little surprised that you have them, considering that you are just cycling. Usually these appear when there is an excess of organics in the tank. They are annoying, but not dangerous. If you really want, you can kill them using the dog de-wormer Safeguard, which can be bought at any pet store. The active ingredient of that is fenbendazole. It's like Praziquantel, and it kills planaria quite well. I've used it before.

I'm cycling with plants in, one of the plants died...

I'm cycling with plants in, one of the plants died...

That would do it. I would just do a 100% WC, rinse your filter media, disinfect your plants, and resume the cycling. This may set you back a little bit, but I doubt that it would be much. Whatever leftover worms will eventually die, certainly before you are ready to add fish.

Well if they aren't dangerous, I'll just vacuum the gravel and let the fish eat em.

Since this thread isn't that old I hope I can add to this since I might have the same thing since I just finished cycling my tank too. I have spotted a worm in my tank too D: it is super dooper small and it seems to have a small tiny black dot which I am assuming is the mouth. I did have plants in my tank aswell before removing them because of algea.

Can you describe it a little more, Karen?

small round worm it appears to have one black dot on one end. I guess it looks like a very skinny round and and white magot.

Edited by MissColonel

Like this?

planaria1.jpg

yeah excatly just a black dot at the top, I think it could be the mouth or something?

Eyes! :rofl

Those are planaria, and they often hitch rides with plants. Even when you bleach the plants, sometimes these things survive. They are quite hardy.

I guess they can have eye too lol :rofl I wanted to make sure it was the same thing as that few.