Kokos Goldfish Forum
Sign in to follow this  
ANGELMB15

Microbelift legacy goldfish and koi

Has anyone used this before? I can't find any reviews online. I bought some today and the goldies ate it. Just wondering if it's good for them. Thanks.

Could you post ingredients and percent composition, please?

I can do that no problem, when I get home here in a little while.

Could you snap a pic of the panel of ingredients, also? Thanks!

I don't think this is a very good food. When evaluating foods, you should look at several things:

1. Composition of the food. Protein should be about 35-45%, although younger fish should have more, and older fish should have less. Ash should be less than 10%. There shouldn't be many filler items, such as carbs and land-based things.

2. You should look at the first 3-5 items listed on the ingredients, as these represent the bulk of the contributions to the food. They should be whole fish and other ingredients that you would expect omnivores to eat such as krill, squid and/or algae and plants. Wheat and soy should never be part of the first three ingredients.

Oh ok, what is bad about soy and wheat? Just curious. The lady I bought it from feeds these to her goldfish and koi and they are huge! Also she feeds this to her black orandas and other black fish and they've managed to stay black for 2 years now, I just bought this hoping mine would stay black aslo, I bought my oranda and ranchu from her to they are also 2 years old. I was feeding them hikari lionhead, but i was afraid they would change color.

Definitely avoid color enhancing foods, but I don't think there is anything about this food that helps to keep them black.

Soy and wheat are not part of what a goldfish, or any fish, would eat.

There is nothing special about this food that would recommend it. Try some others, like Omega One or NLS. You could also some Pro-Gold.

I'm bummed out now :wall I spent $20 on it. I do have some omega one, I will look into the progold, and no more hikari.

I'm bummed out now :wall I spent $20 on it. I do have some omega one, I will look into the progold, and no more hikari.

I would return the food, if possible. If you look at Omega One's ingredients and composition, you'll see that while it's much cheaper, it's actually much better than the Microbe-Lift food. :/

This is what I would like to recommend in terms of feeding your fish:

1. Pro-Gold (goldfishconnection.com). This stuff is amazing! Until I tried it, I couldn't imagine how good it is. However, the caveat is I don't think fish should have a diet of just pellets.

2. Repashy gel food. I LOVE THIS STUFF. I've just started using it, and I just can't tell you how awesome this food it. It's gel based, which means it's much better for fish (less fillers). I am using the soilent green mix, which is perfect for omnivores. Here's a link to it. I highly recommend this product, and will be writing a full review of this awesome product in a week or so.

http://tedsfishroom.com/store/products/repashy-superfood-soilent-green/

This place has the best price out of anywhere. The food is also extremely easy to make. It's 1 part powder to 3 parts boiling water. Mix well, let it set, and the food is good in the fridge for 2 weeks. You can also freeze some of it. So you get to control how much you make to begin with, and you never actually waste food. The powder is good for 18 months at least, if stored properly.

3. Frozen blood worms, brine shrimp etc.

4. Blanched veggies like spinach or green beans. I'm doing a lot less of this, since I'm using the soilent green, which has tons of algae in it. :)

For staples, my fish get Pro-Gold and soilent green daily. The other things are treats.

Thank you dnalex for your help, I appreciate it. I will have to make some gel food, I have never tried it, but it sounds like it would be great.

Thank you dnalex for your help, I appreciate it. I will have to make some gel food, I have never tried it, but it sounds like it would be great.

If possible, get the Repashy gel food mix. It's fantastic, and honestly, probably better formulated than any of the gel foods I know, including homemade ones :)

I will check it out definately!!! :interesting:

I have emailed the UK Division of Repashy to see if they stock the gel food for fish as the web page only shows reptile foods :(

alex, would you contact these people to see if they have distributors in Australia and contact information for them? i've not heard of this product and would love to try it on my clan.

I have emailed the UK Division of Repashy to see if they stock the gel food for fish as the web page only shows reptile foods :(

Alistair & Helen, Ted Judy of Ted's fishroom will send it internationally. I don't know how much it will cost though. He said for international shipping, you can contact him. If you go to his website above, you can contact him. The guy is incredibly quick at responding to emails.

Alternately, if you like to try, I can always send them to you :)

Ooo, I think I am going to try this brand also! Thank you Alex!

Ooo, I think I am going to try this brand also! Thank you Alex!

Glad I could help. Get the soilent green gel mix and not the others, though. This one has a really nice decent protein content, and is a great mix of plant and animal proteins. :)

I'm definitely interested in that gel food as well! Omega one is probably the easiest to get as far as availability goes, it can cloud the water quite easily (I've found) even if it's eaten quickly so keep that in mind when you're feeding it. I have both the small and medium sinking pellets although I use the small more since it encourages them to nose around the bottom for food which provides a bit of mental stimulation. The first three ingredients are Whole Salmon, Whole herring, and Whole shrimp, which is very good. One thing I dislike about most commercial foods is the use of preservatives like Ethoxyquin. Ethoxyquin is used in small amounts as a preservative and in large amounts used as a pesticide. It is known to cause elevations of enzymes in relation to the liver and is known to be 'slightly toxic' to fish. Granted it has only been tested in fish on two species of Salmon. In many fish with shorter fishspans I wouldn't worry about Ethoxyquin since levels tends to be very low in foods but for fish with a longer lifespan such as goldfish I worry a bit about the possible side effects. Although unfortunately it is found in most fish foods, as is the law that:

The United States Coast Guard regulations (Subpart 148.04 -9) requires any vessel entering US waters that contains fish meal, to have the fish meal preserved with ethoxyquin. This is required by law for the safety and health issues that can arise if fish meal is not preserved properly.

I wonder if pro-gold has ethoxyquin in it?

You'll never know :rofl

I've tried asking Rick for the ingredients, and he's managed to skip answering these emails everytime. I wouldn't be surprised if it does have ethoxyquin in it.

As for the Repashy gel mix, what I am planning to do is get the 4 pound bags, which is the most economical. I may split them into smaller portions and pass them to my Koko's friends at cost + shipping, because that will be much cheaper than ordering the smaller portions. Stay tuned :)

You'll never know :rofl

I've tried asking Rick for the ingredients, and he's managed to skip answering these emails everytime. I wouldn't be surprised if it does have ethoxyquin in it.

I wonder if he would answer an email regarding whether or not it has ethoxyquin in it. I guess it depends if his fish meal is imported? I'm really curious now :krazy: I mean it is the general consensus that pro-gold is high quality food and so Rick must be doing SOMETHING right. We may never know!

Why don't you email him and ask?

I think extremely highly of goldfishconnection.com. The only thing I dislike is his unwillingness to disclose the ingredients.

One last question dnalex. Does pro-gold have color enhancer? On the website they don't list very much on it. Ok, I LIED one more question lol. Is it good for my black golds?