Sign in to follow this  
TetraLover

Baby Starlings

5 posts in this topic

I rescued 3 baby Starlings, found 1, then about 5 hours later found the 2nd one, then a day goes by, and today found the 3rd one. I know where their nest is, about 20ft off the ground and in the eaves of the apartment building, so they can't be put back easily. Also there must be a reason why they fell out, they're all pink with just the start of feathers and their eyes are just today starting to open.

They're fun little suckers, noisy as all heck tho. I just fed them and they SHOULD be sleeping but they're hootin' and hollerin' away...My neighbors must think I'm crazy, LOL!!!

I have them all tucked in a little wicker basket with shredded paper inside a 10gal. I leave them outside during the day and mama and papa take care of them, then I bring them in at night as there are 5 or 6 stray cats that come out.

Wish there was a way to keep the flies off them, they get swarmed almost as soon as I put them outside. I found a tick crawling in the tank today too, so now I'm all twitchy and paranoid that ticks are EVERYWHERE in my apartment now. Every little hair that tickles me makes me think it's a tick.

My two cats are shut in the bedroom/bathroom as one cat already proved just little bit TOO curious about the birds when I had just the first one. She reached her paw thru the aquarium hood and knocked the poor thing out of it's little basket.

I've been feeding them chicken baby (human) food mixed with applesauce and liquid bird vitamins using a syringe. I only really feed them when I first bring them inside and just before bringing them outside. They sleep most of the night.

We lost 2 of the babies, down to one now. I just hope it makes enough noise for it's parents to keep feeding it during the day.

Went out today and scared one of the parents out of the box, so they're definitely feeding it during the day.

It accidentally swallowed some of the paper bedding today, so I made another toilet paper nest on top of paper towels. I hope it doesn't hurt it or anything :(

Found out today that the liquid vitamins are actually bad for them. Crap...Hope I didn't doom this little life form...I hope feeding it regular food will help flush out the toxins. Sigh. Learning as you go is so hard.

The last baby has died. It seems the parents didn't feed it at all today. We put the box under the stairs because it was supposed to rain and I guess they couldn't find it there. It died with it's mouth open, one last plea for food :cry1:rip: