Pic of the week

Pic of the week poll #14
Sign in to follow this  
cmclien

Better to change water 1x or 2x a week?

17 posts in this topic

Just wondering if anyone has an opinion on if its better to do a 50% WC 2 time a week or do a 75% WC 1 times a week or if its irrelevant.

I picked up an aquaeon water changer finally, I should have done it months ago, it will make tank upkeep a breeze now! But what was funny was on the package it said to change 25% of the water ONCE A MONTH and I thought how can they recommend that?

It also depends on the tank size, so if you had a 100g tank, you would want to do smaller water changes throughout the week rather than one large one due to the fluctuating pressure within the actual tank.

Since your tank is 20g, you can certainly do either, depending on what you want to do. Base your water changes on your water parameters as they will also give you an indication as to how much water you should change and how often.

Many of those cleaning recommendations are based for large tropical tanks that maintain themselves. Heavily planted tropical tanks that are well established maintain themselves a lot better than tanks full of waste producers. Heavily planted tanks with small bio loads usually don't get very high parameter readings as plants will use the toxins as a food source. Even if parameters stay quite low throughout a long period of time, water changes should still always be frequent as it also removes bad bacteria that may be blooming in the water

Edited by Narny105

I'd say definitely 2x at 50%. Goldfish like a constant environment, and more frequent water changes contribute to that.

I'd say definitely 2x at 50%. Goldfish like a constant environment, and more frequent water changes contribute to that.

Well, if you already willing and able to do twice weekly changes, why not 2x at 75%? The only things you really have to watch for are match temps and pH. The additional 20% each time doesn't really take more than 5-10 minutes longer, and it will do your goldfish a world of good. :)

I do one large 80% water change on my 180. The fish don't mind it and it saves my water bill a bit.

Thanks guys, think I will go to 2x a week, I will clean all the ornaments, squeegee the glass etc on one day and on the other just do a straight water change and siphon around the river rock.

I do one large 80% water change on my 180. The fish don't mind it and it saves my water bill a bit.

Wow, a 180, I can't even imagine with my 20 LOL

Well, if you already willing and able to do twice weekly changes, why not 2x at 75%? The only things you really have to watch for are match temps and pH. The additional 20% each time doesn't really take more than 5-10 minutes longer, and it will do your goldfish a world of good. :)

I worry a little when I take out that much, I don't know why...the temp is definitely no problem and my ph of my water is pretty consistently 8.4. He only acted weird once, darting around etc when I added more hardwater than I normally do. I do about 80% soft and 20% hard which puts my kh at 150 or so (we have REALLY hard water).

My hubby just told me to leave the water changer screwed into the faucet since its a 2 sink bathroom and my daughter only uses the other one so it really should be easy, will try it and see how it works out.

I worry a little when I take out that much, I don't know why...the temp is definitely no problem and my ph of my water is pretty consistently 8.4. He only acted weird once, darting around etc when I added more hardwater than I normally do. I do about 80% soft and 20% hard which puts my kh at 150 or so (we have REALLY hard water).

My hubby just told me to leave the water changer screwed into the faucet since its a 2 sink bathroom and my daughter only uses the other one so it really should be easy, will try it and see how it works out.

For the nearly 20 goldfish currently in my keeping, 80%-100% WCs every few days (or more often) is a fact of life. They aren't bothered by it at all, and if anything, I have to guard the siphon against too-inquisitive fish.

Ok, thanks, they must get used to it.

I do an 80% change every 3 days on my 40 gallon ;) the fish don't mind at all. I actually think they enjoy the stimulation :D they are always more active after a water change.

I´m not an expert though in this matter but I have read a lot in Chinese goldfish maintence and if I´m not wrong, in order to make the fish grow as much as they can, they do about a 90% WC daily!!

This way what they do is eliminate the feromones that fishes segregate into the water..and doing this, as they say, fishes grow better and faster...

Sorry If my english is very poor...

My tank has 160 gallons (600 litres) and I do WC twice a week of 40% every time...so 80% a week.

Edited by rms

180 litre tank and i do 1 90% water change every week, use a hose into my bathtub to drain while i gravel vac into a 25litre tub takes two tubs of water to gravel vac properly. 50minutes is all it takes to drain, clean and refill the tank i use the hose to refill from a mixer tap to keep the temp correct.

In my 10 gallon, it takes about 20 minutes one tub of 25 litre water (~68%), then i use 15 litre bucket to refill i temp match in the bucket using a thermometer.

Edited by dodge245

Right now I'm changing 30-40%of my water every 24-48 hrs but thats only because its not fully cycled. Am really hoping to get to every 3 days or so as this is getting really old!

WOW I should be doing more water changes.

I do a fifty percent (I would do more, but that is my quick mid-week change of not turning off the filters) once and then a 90 percent once as well. I think I like the idea of doing three 75% though if I could keep it up.

I do a fifty percent (I would do more, but that is my quick mid-week change of not turning off the filters) once and then a 90 percent once as well. I think I like the idea of doing three 75% though if I could keep it up.

Thats where I'm at now, 3-75% WC/week but thats only because my tank hasn't cycled and my ammonia climbs up to 1.0ppm every 2 days. If I focus and only do a straight WC without any cleaning I can do the 15 gallons in about 45 minutes. Because I have to age my water to get my ph to come up to its true value I have an extra step of going from the aging tanks with a battery run pump and hose to my tank. After that I can use my water changer to refill up those tanks which is fast at least. I really don't like having to do it so often and my family keeps commenting on how much time I'm spending on those fish! :) I've never seen the fish looking so lively I have to admit with all this fresh water.

If you are going to do a water change do a large water change, your fish will thank you for it :)