Sign in to follow this  
PaintingPintos

I have 2 baby starlings!

27 posts in this topic

I guess this means I'm not getting a pigeon!

This video is of me feeding the babies at their 9PM feeding.....

I love them soooo much! They're so sweet! Bonus....they look like baby dinosaurs!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ew2M6i5amZE&list=UUc5DkMFDw9eAmvXbZFYsG8A&index=1&feature=plcp

I think all baby birds are cute as buttons.

Edited by Hidr

Baby birds are so cute.

Starlings are not protected by the Migratory Bird Treaty Act, so you are fine to keep them. However, they can carry histoplasma and salmonella. I'm not sure if this is a big risk, since these are babies.

aww :) they are hungry little guys ;) congrats

I'm definitely being aware of any diseases and illnesses they might carry. Unfortunately, at night I must keep them in my room (where my budgies are) so I don't make a ruckus stumbling all over the kitchen for the food every 3 hours! I love them though. The 12am and 3am and 6am feedings are tough to wake up for (that alarm clock is LOUUUD) but it's so cute watching them sleep!

I love them so much ;D

look at their fuzzy little heads! aaawwww

Hehe....they're getting more feathers. They actually grew several more today, and it's noticable that they've grown....also one is bigger than the other, and the little one is less demanding...survival of the fittest!

They're so cute when they're little. :3

It's the adults I've got a beef with. We've got House Wrens (pretty sure that's what they are) living in a birdhouse we attatched to our house outside our kitchen window,and every time we hear a bunch of ruckus coming from over there, 9 times out of 10 it's starlings destroying the nest. =/ Figured out that they hate the sound of a plastic cup full of soda can tabs banging on the window,though.

Awwwww. I have a birdhouse that's nailed to the top of a big branch I stuck in a deep hole in the ground. They've had their nest (house wrens) for a while now....2 months maybe? I think they're raising 2 consecutive nests.

But every year we have a starling invasion. A HUGE flock of 1000+ birds lands in the yard, which coats the grass with iridescent black coloring :) It's beautiful but I'm happy I don't have any bird feeders up when they arrive! They completely clear out every single insect in the whole area, and you don't see another for a couple of hours (well, you see moths)....they're really funny though because they make SO MUCH noise! And when they move alone, the birds in the back sort of play leapfrog to get to the front of the flock....I love them lots though. The ones at my house only cause problems at the bird feeders. Other than that, they're too busy nesting to make trouble.

I think they're very strange looking, but that's what makes them so darn cute >.<

So cute. At the moment we have a starling couple visiting regularly. They must have their nest close by but so far no idea as to where.

Last year the little ones learned to fly in our garden.

Hubby does his PhD on starling song. :lol

How did you acquire these?

I was at the stable where I keep my horse, and the house next door had new metal roofing put on....there was a little empty pocket in one of the highest eves and a staring pair built a nest there. A baby bird blew out of the nest and the man who lives at the house had no clue what to do, so he picked up the bird and put it on the railing of his porch, hoping the parents would feed it or bring it back somehow. As soon as I turned up, one of 20+ cats hopped up and grabbed the bird. My friend snatched the bird away form the cat. 10 minutes later another bird blew down. There was no way we could reach the eve because 1.) it was so high and 2.) The ladder didn't reach high enough 3.) there was no high place on the roof where we could leave the bird and finally 4.) There are 20+ cats at the stable, and they are mousers, all allowed to roam freely.

Oh wow!

They are REALLY growing fast! Are they pretty good with hands by now? I mean, I know you're feeding them, so I wold hope so. xD

Plan to keep them as adults?

Oh wow!

They are REALLY growing fast! Are they pretty good with hands by now? I mean, I know you're feeding them, so I wold hope so. xD

Yeah, they DO grow fast....I hardly even noticed until you mentioned it, then I compared in the videos!! Ahaha yes they're good with hands :) But they get a little "ruffled" when I pick them up because their little claws sometimes get stuck on the paper towels or rags. But once they're in my hands they act like little kittens, bickering with each other, and falling asleep very quickly :) Usually in under 30 seconds they fall asleep :)

Ah, yeah, I do plan to keep them as adults. My uncle had a starling that died 2 weeks ago...the bird was 22 years old when he died. But he mentioned to me that when one or more birds fall out of a nest like that, most likely the mother kicked them out because they were deformed or ill. I think either mine were kicked out by their mom because 1.) They have mites or 2.) They're deformed in their legs or wings. I noticed that sometimes their wing droop unnaturally....they also have mites, which could contribute to that. On a lighter note, they'd make excellent pets hand-tamed. Youtube has supplied many amazing videos of pet starlings!

Thanks! Also there is another video....that's when I moved them into a larger cage today. I ended up moving them out at around 7pm because I realized that they would be more comfortable in a little box like they were in before....it's more nest-like and the cage was too open for them, though they seemed fine in it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ObwZ83LiyqA&feature=plcp

Oh wow!

Yeah, they DO grow fast....I hardly even noticed until you mentioned it, then I compared in the videos!! Ahaha yes they're good with hands :) But they get a little "ruffled" when I pick them up because their little claws sometimes get stuck on the paper towels or rags. But once they're in my hands they act like little kittens, bickering with each other, and falling asleep very quickly :) Usually in under 30 seconds they fall asleep :)

Ah, yeah, I do plan to keep them as adults. My uncle had a starling that died 2 weeks ago...the bird was 22 years old when he died. But he mentioned to me that when one or more birds fall out of a nest like that, most likely the mother kicked them out because they were deformed or ill. I think either mine were kicked out by their mom because 1.) They have mites or 2.) They're deformed in their legs or wings. I noticed that sometimes their wing droop unnaturally....they also have mites, which could contribute to that. On a lighter note, they'd make excellent pets hand-tamed. Youtube has supplied many amazing videos of pet starlings!

I say even if their wings are deformed they'll be fine. They are growing so fast and healthy I think anything internal is doing just fine for them!

She could have abandoned them or kicked them out of the nest if it was infested with bird mites. you're treating them to rid them of the mites, right?

Oh wow!

I say even if their wings are deformed they'll be fine. They are growing so fast and healthy I think anything internal is doing just fine for them!

She could have abandoned them or kicked them out of the nest if it was infested with bird mites. you're treating them to rid them of the mites, right?

Not yet. I haven't been out shopping (Agway farm supply store) but I'm going to the stable to visit my horse today, and there the barn owner has plenty of stuff to get rid of horse lice....and that stuff can be used on birds to get rid of mites. Treatment starts today!