Kokos Goldfish Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Drowsy

YoYo Loach, Bamboo Shrimp?

So my neighbor 'gave me' three yoyo loach and two bamboo shrimp.

And by 'gave me' I mean he was going to throw them away or flush them so I took them.

I am getting mixed answers on if they can be kept with goldfish or not.

Some sites say that Bamboo Shrimp are ideal because they're so huge, and filter feeders? As long as I keep the water moving well enough to let them filter.

But I can't seem to get any clear answer on the Yoyo Loaches.

Help, suggestions?

Darn my need to rescue things. :|

I keep my yoyos at a much higher temp than my goldies. My gut says no. Plus they're bad fin nippers.

I keep my yoyos at a much higher temp than my goldies. My gut says no. Plus they're bad fin nippers.

Darnit.

Well right now they HAVE to be in there. They seem to rather wedge themselves under/in things.

Any way to make them more comfortable until I can set up a tank for them. any suggestion on tank size for them?

I assume from your description that the yo-yos were not QT'd either before you add them together? :(

I don't mean to be a downer, but not QT'ing puts everybody at risk for problems. This happens way too frequently :(

Do you not have a LFS that will take them? I bet they are shy now because it's new, but soon they will be confident and they are not nice to other fish.

I assume from your description that the yo-yos were not QT'd either before you add them together? :(

I don't mean to be a downer, but not QT'ing puts everybody at risk for problems. This happens way too frequently :(

No, no. Gosh no!

They were in the ten gallon for quarantine before I even thought to put them with the goldfish.

The ten gallon has ghost shrimp and my snail in it, though. And I don't want anything to hurt my snail, either. So I am juggling tanks.

I'd move the snail to the goldy tank and put the yoyos back in the 10 until you can get a better home for them.

Do you not have a LFS that will take them? I bet they are shy now because it's new, but soon they will be confident and they are not nice to other fish.

No, as far as that go the area is terrible.

I have other tanks, I just need to set one up. I just need more info on them.

I'd move the snail to the goldy tank and put the yoyos back in the 10 until you can get a better home for them.

You think he'd do okay? I read they do poorly with any amount of ammonia.

Do apple snails do well with goldfish?

Gosh I sound liek a no nothing but all I ever did was do heavy research on goldfish alone. ><

Well, I'd say 30 gallon minimum, lots of hiding places, no snails you don't want eaten, no peaceful slow moving fish with them, 78-80 degrees.

You shouldn't have ammonia in your goldfish tank. Lots of people have apple/mystery snails with their goldies. You might have to separate the snail to feed it though.

Ah, ok. I'm really glad you QT'd! :)

I don't know much (at all, actually) about tropicals :/

Well, I'd say 30 gallon minimum, lots of hiding places, no snails you don't want eaten, no peaceful slow moving fish with them, 78-80 degrees.

You shouldn't have ammonia in your goldfish tank. Lots of people have apple/mystery snails with their goldies. You might have to separate the snail to feed it though.

I'm not too worried about him eating. I feed him large pieces of collard greens. Larger than any of the goldfish could eat.

So I need to dig out one of my aquariums, get a heater, another filter, and set it up for loaches.

Costly rescue. xD But worth it.

They are precious, and one is missing an eye.

I really like mine. Very entertaining, especially when they're young. I originally got them to take care of a snail infestation, and they grew on me. Don't be alarmed if you see them looking dead. They sleep like that. :lol Yesterday one of them had wedged himself in a little tunnel in their castle and was laying upside down. I have learned not to freak out, but my kids still do. I can't tell you how many times they have reported "dead" yoyo loaches.

I really like mine. Very entertaining, especially when they're young. I originally got them to take care of a snail infestation, and they grew on me. Don't be alarmed if you see them looking dead. They sleep like that. :lol Yesterday one of them had wedged himself in a little tunnel in their castle and was laying upside down. I have learned not to freak out, but my kids still do. I can't tell you how many times they have reported "dead" yoyo loaches.

Oh my god they do that? o^o

They've been too hidden until now to display anything like that. thanks for the warning, I would have flipped out! lol

These seem really young still. Prolly not even two inches long. I'm not sure why he would get them to get rid of them so fast.

I STILL need help with the bamboo shrimp.

Does anyone have any idea?

I have no idea about the shrimp. I'm not really an invert type of gal.

I have no idea about the shrimp. I'm not really an invert type of gal.

Ah, darn.

I really am, but after my experience with freshwater crabs, and their habit of climbing out of the aquarium and dying on the floor I pretty much stopped having them...

Edited by Drowsy

I would say that the shrimp would do better in a tank of their own, or maybe with the loaches but I'm not sure.

Anyway, the shrimp do better with fast flowing water and they need to filter feed. The shrimp will pick food off the bottom, but only if they are starving, if you see them doing this then they will need special feeding.

Here is more info.

http://www.petshrimp.com/bambooshrimp.php

http://www.planetinverts.com/Bamboo_Shrimp.html

http://www.theshrimpfarm.com/bamboo-shrimp.php

I would say that the shrimp would do better in a tank of their own, or maybe with the loaches but I'm not sure.

Anyway, the shrimp do better with fast flowing water and they need to filter feed. The shrimp will pick food off the bottom, but only if they are starving, if you see them doing this then they will need special feeding.

Here is more info.

http://www.petshrimp...ambooshrimp.php

http://www.planetinv...boo_Shrimp.html

http://www.theshrimp...mboo-shrimp.php

Thank you so much. <3

I am making sure to feed them powdered algae right now, which they seem ecstatic over.

I have some extra Spirulina powder and Kelp powder you can have if you want it. :D

I have some extra Spirulina powder and Kelp powder you can have if you want it. :D

Omg. That would be so helpful. D:

Are you sure?

Um....yes. Thats why I offered. :P

I will message you now.

Nope, you can't get messages on here yet. Ok, I will email you. The title will be "SHRIMP FOOD".

:)

I would put the Yoyo loaches in the ten gallon until you can find a tank for them. As for the shrimp, I am not sure. :idont

I would put the Yoyo loaches in the ten gallon until you can find a tank for them. As for the shrimp, I am not sure.

Moucho + Moncho,

Welcome to the forum. I noticed that you've been on a posting spree in the last hour or so. Would you please do us one favor? Please do not revive threads that are other three months old. We have a very active forum, and really do not need to resurrect old topics, unless it's something very critical.

Thank you. :)

Ok and thanks for the heads up dnalex! I have been floating around this forum for over a year but never became a member. Sorry for any trouble I have caused.