Sign in to follow this  
kat090181

Newbie-looking for advice from experience people please!

4 posts in this topic

Hi everyone

I'm very new so please be kind!

I was recently advised on and sold a 14L tank by pets at home (uk) which came with two free fish. I have two baby black moors both about 1 1/2 inch at present. I was disgusted to find out i had been given poor advice re tank size. I requested a refund but was told i should have read up myself first! Admittedly they were right! I have now purchased a fluvel Roma 125 uk litres with U2 filter. The tank is second hand, but in great condition. Ive set it all up, but its only been set up a few days, so isnt cycled. I have a testing kit. I am currently keeping the 14litre tank levels safe with daily 50% water changes. Ive had the fish 6weeks and so far they are doing great. My question is, is it safer to leave them where they are until the big tank is cycled, or should i move them into their new home now because of the risk to them in the small tank?! And how long will they be able to live in the 125 litre tank before i need an upgrade? They are lovely fish, herbie and louie, and louie is already eating from my fingers! I want to get it right for them

Many thanks for any advice

Kat

Edited by kat090181

Do you have a drop test kit for the param readings? What are they-in your 6 wk tank? Ammonia,Nitrite,Nitrate,and pH?

Edited by kukana

Hello & welcome! :)

We are friendly here, and so no worries about people not being kind.

I'm so glad you have made the upgrade, and the new set up should be fine as the forever home for the two fish. The only thing is that given that goldfish produce a lot of waste, I don't think the U2 filter will be able to keep up with them, so at some point you will need to add to the existing filtration. Given that they are small right now, I think you have a bit of time.

Is the filter on your 14L removable? Could that be added to the bigger tank?

Also, what are your parameters at the moment?

It's not rally your fault, people should be able to learn from their LFS. It is unfortunate that most of us learn the hard way that you can't trust some of them. The important part is that you are now learning and doing what is best for your new pets. please post pics so we can all squeal about them. Everyone here is very friendly so no worries and welcome aboard :)