Jump to content
Kokos Goldfish Forum


Regular Member
  • Content Count

  • Joined

  • Last visited

Everything posted by Micpak

  1. Aw, that's even worse than my situation. I've never experienced a wipeout, thankfully. Zhao's fancies are gorgeous, but I've heard that they're picky about water. My water has pretty wacky pH and I don't have the means to age it for 72 hours as they suggest. I will keep an eye on Chuchu's. Thanks for the advice!
  2. Yeah, this was an unfortunate attempt. I don’t plan on nuking anytime soon unless my fish decide to die on me. I’ve read good things about Gary Hater, but I have no idea where to actually get fish from him. I also want to start out with small fish, since my fish are maybe two inches on a good day. I haven’t been able to find a reputable place to get 2-3 inch babies. I’ll most likely wait until Thanksgiving break or winter break before I get more anyway. This whole thing was terrible timing with midterms and lab reports. :s
  3. Unfortunately he passed away last night. Thanks again for all your help.
  4. Awesome, thanks! I’ll attempt tomorrow.
  5. Okay, he hasn’t eaten since Friday. I tried squeezing some blood worms into his mouth but he spit them back out. Is it harder for them to spit out liquids?
  6. Okay, I'll start using a little less of the Proper pH each time. I have another container of Metro so I'll be able to extend treatment if needed. How many days can he go without eating in 78 degrees? I know they can generally go a while, but with higher temps and fighting illness I'm a little worried it might be hindering him.
  7. Yeah, I’m struggling to find a good place to get actual healthy fish from. ECR has beauties but I don’t trust myself to take care of hers. The pH is stable. The test only goes to 8.6, and it’s definitely up there. I’m using the proper pH because they came from 7-7.2 water and I hear you aren’t supposed to change the pH more than .2 a day so I didn’t know how to go about that. I’m continuing metro for the 14 day total. His gills are red.
  8. They’re from a breeder in Chicago. I know they have imported fish, I’m not sure if these guys were imported but they probably had contact with imports. They dont claim to be “clean”, but they looked healthy in the videos I got. I would love an ECR fish but I’m terrified of killing it. Plus, the other fish I have are from petco and I’ve heard it’s not good to mix her fish with others. I am using tap water, I was just asking if RO would be easier for them to adjust to from right after shipping. Our pH is really high- like off the charts of the API test, so I use API proper pH. Ah, I will hope that this is the case. I just panicked when I saw discoloration. He’s still pretty mopey. I have him in a low-light area to keep his stress down, I feel like he sleeps most of the day. He’s more active after water changes and darts towards food which makes me feel better. He isn’t giving up yet. I haven’t noticed any thick/extra slime coat. His gills move a little fast, but he doesn’t gasp at the surface or move his mouth a lot. This fish is the one that originally needed the kanaplex/metro. It’s had two weeks of kanaplex and today is day 9 of metro, day 3 of second prazi round.
  9. and of course, more problems. 😔 Now he’s got blackish brownish spots appearing. On his back and fin. He’s still interested in food but spits it out. Still sitting sideways, still has the swollen side, but I think he’s getting skinnier like behind the belly.
  10. Ironically, the only one left is the one that had the most obvious symptoms. :s I started the second round of Prazi last night. Hopefully he’ll start eating once it takes effect if there’s a parasite bugging him. I have RO water that I use for the saltwater tanks. For future, do you think using that when they first arrive and gradually switching to tap could make it easier on them?
  11. Okay, well, the orange one is dead. I think I’m just really bad at taking care of shipped fish.
  12. Drove an hour and a half to get frozen blood worms, the orange one isn’t interested and the white will grab some but spit them out. The orange one has been getting worse. Now he is bottom sitting with clamped fins and really doesn’t move much. I squirted some blood worms in his mouth with a pipet, and he hardly even wiggled. He spit the worms out too. I assume there’s a point where they can no longer spit out, but I was scared to put the pipet in too far.
  13. Welp, couldn’t find frozen bloodworms anywhere. The LFS I got them from a couple months ago has since closed and chain stores don’t carry them. I got freeze dried ones to try but I can’t get them to sink so the fish don’t even notice their existence. They got one round of prazi for three days and then this happened so I switched to antibiotics.
  14. Also ran out of blood worms. He is spitting out the Hex-shield. I'll go get some worms & Stress Coat and see what he thinks.
  15. More good and bad news- redness in his armpits has basically disappeared, that's the last I see on him. And his bruise thing is going away too. Bad news, he's on a food strike. He is interested and picks it up but spits it back out. I ran out of Stress Coat a couple days ago. I'm not sure if that has anything to do with it? Tomorrow is the last day for Kanaplex, so that should lessen the load and maybe they'll be ready to eat on Sunday. Edit: The white thing on his head is gone, he's still sitting weird though.
  16. here he is mid-transfer after a wc. Fins are looking great! His hips have cleared up too. The underside of his wen/ chin area is sort of blackish like a bad bruise. It’s in the same area that the redness was so I’m assuming (hoping) this is part of the healing process.
  17. Good news, redness has lessened significantly and he hasn’t officially had any raised scales. They still look a little weird to me, but haven’t lifted. Also, he’s clamping his fins much less. Bad news, he’s doing this: and has that new pimply thing going on on his head. He is still eating but his buddy has started spitting out food. The other fish hasn’t shown any signs of visible illness. No redness, spots, swelling, curling, etc. Sometimes he swims around really fast but he doesn’t try to scrape or anything, I think he just gets scared/stressed. I’m hoping he’s just protesting the treatment. He picks up food and will munch on it for a while but spits it back out.
  18. Nope, he’s definitely starting to pinecone. is there anything else I should do?
  19. Okay, I added the salt. He doesn’t look any different than he did this morning so I’m hoping it’s nothing. Fingers crossed.
  20. I checked on them this morning before going to my classes, which was probably a mistake. I won't be back home for another fiveish hours so I'm just casually worrying about him during my break. I'm not sure if it's my anxiety/paranoia but I think a few of his scale have started to lift. He has always had a fat belly and he doesn't look any more fat than usual, but a few of his rear belly scales look a little off to me. Should I add epsom salt to the tank as well or just do baths during water changes? I don't want to mess up the other fish too much with all the medications, but also want to make sure little dude doesn't get fluid retention problems.
  21. Okay, I'll get a heater in there and add metro. Thanks so much for your help!
  22. Oh okay, that would've been good to know. I've just been giving him how much he will eat, which is usually 4-5 pellets. If he doesn't immediately go after it, I remove it from his bathtub. I don't have a scale that would measure his weight so I can't really measure how much he should be getting. I might switch to dosing the water. The temperature of the water is ~70. Should I raise it? I've been conflicted since bacteria tend to prefer warmer temperatures as well, and I definitely don't want to be boosting their growth.
  23. Hi, I do have Prazipro, they've been through a 3 day treatment. I did a scrape of the healthy one (as to not add more stress to the sick ones) and I didn't see any flukes or movement in the slime coat. I stopped the Prazi when I added the Kanaplex. I also have Metro+, which I can add to the water. I've just heard it isn't very effective in the water column. Hex-shield does have metronidazole (2-methyl-5-nitro) but it doesn't have any percentages or dosing information on it. Fish fish Hex-shield
  24. I got three young ranchu goldfish, around 2.5 inches, a little over two weeks ago. They were in transit for three days. They were pretty stressed for about a day, and then seemed to perk up. I believe their stress is what caused the start of infection, because I've been very diligent about water quality during their quarantine. Test Results for the Following: Ammonia Level(Tank): 0.25 Nitrite Level(Tank): 0 Nitrate level(Tank): 0 Ammonia Level(Tap): 0.25 Nitrite Level(Tap): 0 Nitrate level(Tap): 0 Ph Level, Tank (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines): 7 Ph Level, Tap (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines): 8.8 (water treated with API Proper pH before adding to tank) Other Required Info: Brand of test-kit used and whether strips or drops? API drops Water temperature? 71 Tank size (how many gals.) and how long has it been running? 15 gals, 2 weeks, quarantine tank so it's not cycled What is the name and "size of the filter"(s)? Large Hikari sponge filter How often do you change the water and how much? Daily 50-75% How many days ago was the last water change and how much did you change? Yesterday 50% How many fish in the tank and their size? 2, 2.5 inches What kind of water additives or conditioners? Prime, Stress Coat, API Proper pH What do you feed your fish and how often? Fed peas, frozen blood worms - now feeding NLS Hex-shield Any new fish added to the tank? no Any medications added to the tank? Kanaplex List entire medication/treatment history for fish and tank.Please include salt, Prazi, PP, etc and the approximate time and duration of treatment. - Prazi, 3 days - Kanaplex 7 days (changing water and redosing added water) - Epsom salt baths during water changes Any unusual findings on the fish such as "grains of salt," bloody streaks, frayed fins or fungus? One of them developed redness in his "armpits", at the base of his pectoral fins. Overnight his pectoral and pelvic fins developed red streaks. At this point I started feeding pre-soaked NLS Hex-shield pellets and ordered Kanaplex on Amazon. I got the Kanaplex in two days and started treatment. After the first two days, the redness was lessening, but symptoms have since come back. I started treatment last Saturday. By Wednesday night his red fins were back. Now he's got a red chin (under his wen), and a little red pin-prick looking spot on his forehead. He doesn't show any signs of stress in the salt baths and I think it helps with his bloating. He's had a pretty fat belly since I got him, so it's hard to tell how much he's bloating (or if he is at all), but he's never shown any raised scales. I also feed him in the bath because he's a messy eater so the tub doesn't have any extra food bits floating around. Also, on Thursday a second fish had a red streak in his tail. This particular fish has always been skittish- he always sort of spazzed whenever there was movement outside of the tub. He stopped eating and basically gave up, just bottom sitting unless he was freaking out because I got too close to the tub. Under his wen on top of his head turned pinkish and this morning he was dead. Any unusual behavior like staying at the bottom, not eating, etc.? The current infected fish is still eating. He is a little lethargic but will get up and swim around to beg for food. From what I've read about Kanaplex, I have the understanding that the medication becomes ineffective after 48 hours, which is why you add another dose. So I did a large (~80%) water change before starting treatment, added the medicine, waited for two days (added Prime at the end of the first day), did another water change and added another dose. Now I'm doing daily water changes since that approach didn't work. I add a dose for the water that I remove and replace. I don't know if I'm doing this wrong but I can't really find any instructions on how to do it with water changes. There is one healthy fish left, still in the tub with his buddy. I don't have any more air pumps or filters to set up another tub for him. He hasn't shown any problems in the two weeks, so I am considering adding him to my main tank so he doesn't have to deal with the medicine. I have done a slime-coat scrape and I didn't see any flukes or moving stuff so I think he's clean. I'm worried that he may be carrying some internal thing that might attack him if I move him and he gets stressed. I have two stunted fish (~1 inch bodies) from a Petco and a LFS I got like 4 and 5 years ago in a 40 gal breeder. I know my two little guys don't have flukes, but I'm not sure if they're secretly harboring anything either. Any advice is greatly appreciated. I've never dealt with septicemia so I don't really know what I'm doing. The only pet stores I have near me are Petco and Petsmart. Thank you!
  • Create New...