Test Results for the Following:
* Ammonia Level(Tank)- 0
* Nitrite Level(Tank)- 0
* Nitrate level(Tank) - 20
* Ammonia Level(Tap)- 0
* Nitrite Level(Tap) 2.0 to 5.0 (Hard to tell, but I checked it twice.)
* Nitrate level(Tap)- 10 to 20
* Ph Level, Tank (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines)- 7.8 to 8.0
* Ph Level, Tap (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines) - 7.6 to 7.8
Other Required Info:
* Brand of test-kit used and whether strips or drops? API drops
* Water temperature? 68 to 70 degrees F (I do not have a heater.)
* Tank size (how many gals.) and how long has it been running? 10 gallons. I know it's too small. I have a 20 gallon waiting for my husband to reinforce its home. It has been running since December.
* What is the name and "size of the filter"(s)? Aqueon Quiet Flow 10
* How often do you change the water and how much? Usually 70 to 80 % twice a week.
* How many days ago was the last water change and how much did you change? It has been 3 days.
* How many fish in the tank and their size? 1 and maybe 2 to 2.5 inches not including tail
* What kind of water additives or conditioners? Prime
* What do you feed your fish and how often? NLS Thera+A one or two times a day, the occasional pea, and sometimes Omega One sinking pellets presoaked
* Any new fish added to the tank? No
* Any medications added to the tank? Epsom
* List entire medication/treatment history for fish and tank. Please include salt, Prazi, PP, etc and the approximate time and duration of treatment. We did the Prazi rounds, I think 4 rounds, with 0.1% salt in January.
* Any unusual findings on the fish such as "grains of salt," bloody streaks, frayed fins or fungus? Two flat red spots on wen.
* Any unusual behavior like staying at the bottom, not eating, etc.? This may take a bit. She was huge with eggs a couple of months ago. When I picked her up to move her to another container, she released them all. She was skittish, hiding, lethargic. She had started acting a bit like this again in the past week. I picked her up, and nothing. She looked rounder than usual. I noticed stringy poop. I fasted her for a couple of days and tried adding a 1/4 tsp. of epsom salt to the water. She had a very large, food colored BM then. I thought she was ok. Then, a couple of days later, she started floating sideways at the top of the tank. I added epsom again. She seemed fine again. I have fasted her again and have fed her a pea once a day for the past two days. The poop is green, but still stringy. She still looks "poochy". There are two small red spots on her wen. They are flat, and seem to be strictly on the surface. Her wen is a little translucent, and I don't see anything underneath them looking at her straight on. She has had so much color change lately, I thought it was just that at first. I am not entirely sure now. I haven't checked my tap water recently, and decided to today. That's when I noticed the very high Nitrite reading.
So, can any of this behavior be contributed to the Nitrite levels? If so, how should I do water changes? What else do I need to do?
I can try to post pictures in just a minute. I have to see if I have one of the spots if those seem to be a concern. So far, she hasn't been floaty or tipping over for a few days. I was going to do a water change today, but now I am not sure how much. Thank you for any help.