Posting for a friend as he is having trouble joining...
Juvenile red cap oranda: active and interested in food when I’m at the tank and when I drop in food, but foraging has mostly stopped, fish will swim up to food but will not make strong effort to eat it, jaw/mouth seems to have collapsed and shows apparent atrophy. It is able to eat a little food when it softens and breaks into small pieces. For about a month it appeared to make strong efforts to open its mouth but seemed to not be able to do so.
Test Results for the Following:
* Ammonia Level(Tank) 0
* Nitrite Level(Tank) 0
* Nitrate level(Tank) 0
* Ammonia Level(Tap) 1 ppm (our tap uses chloramines)
* Nitrite Level(Tap) 0
* Nitrate level(Tap) 0
* Ph Level, Tank (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines) pH 7.6, KH 71.6 and GH 89.5
* Ph Level, Tap (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines) pH 8.3, KH 53.7 and GH 35.8
Other Required Info:
* Brand of test-kit used and whether strips or drops? API Freshwater Master Kit
* Water temperature? 77 Fahrenheit
* Tank size (how many gals.) and how long has it been running? 10 US gallons
* What is the name and "size of the filter"(s)? Aquaclear/Fluval 70, BioMax media, sponges, crushed coral used
* How often do you change the water and how much? 2 times a week, 60%
* How many days ago was the last water change and how much did you change? 2 days ago, 60%
* How many fish in the tank and their size? 1 juvenile red cap oranda, 1.5 inches long from mouth to tip of tail
* What kind of water additives or conditioners? Seachem Prime and PraziPro
* What do you feed your fish and how often? NLS pellets, romaine, spinach, cucumber rind - 3 times a day
* Any new fish added to the tank? only one fish
* Any medications added to the tank? Seachem Prime and PraziPro
* List entire medication/treatment history for fish and tank. Please include salt, Prazi, PP, etc and the approximate time and duration of treatment.
May 10: fish arrives - purchased from Petco
May 13: behavior changes, foraging stops. small ulcer/pustule noticed near right eye
May 14 (just after midnight): ulcer/pustule enlarged, fish moved to QT tank. ulcer/pustule bursts during transfer. white thread first noticed before moving - later identified as an anchor worm
May 14 afternoon: gill cover, area where pustule was inflamed, eye begins to show infection around edges
May 15: entire surface of eye infected, treatment with Melafix and Pimafix begins, goes through approximately May 31st
May 16: eye hangs from socket
May 17: eye lost, gill cover almost lost. Anchor worm attached to wen of other fish purchased on May 10 identified
May 18: anchor worm that caused loss of eye removed
May 20: CyroPro treatment begins
May 21 and 23: additional anchor worms discovered and removed,
May 24 - June 18: normal foraging behavior, adjustment to using one eye progresses well
June 19 - July 14: fish barely able to open mouth, not able to eat food until broken down into tiny pieces. still very interested in food. appears to try to open mouth, but not able to do so.
June 20 -27: Dimilin X treatment
June 28: PraziPro and .3% salt treatment begins (other fish in main tank shows flukes on tail) - PraziPro ongoing, salt tapered off last week or so
July 14 - present: still active and interested in food when I’m at the tank and when I drop in food, but foraging has mostly stopped, fish will swim up to food but will not make strong effort to eat it, jaw/mouth seems to have collapsed and shows apparent atrophy. It is able to eat a little food when it softens and breaks into small pieces.
Before mouth stopped opening as normal:
Notice mouth no longer opens and appears to have collapsed: