Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
conisaxx

Quarantine procedures

9 posts in this topic

Didn't really know where to post this topic, feel free to move it. :)

SO I had a few questions about QT in general...

PLANTS

I'm so paranoid about getting anything into my tank from plants...

How long should I let them in my 10 gallon for Qt?

Is there something in particular I should had to the water during that period?

Should I do water changes to get rid of anything that could get into the water?

Should I do multiples bleach dips or only one at the beggining of Qt in enough?

FISH

If my tank is empty and I want to get two fish (knowing that my Qt tank is 10 gallons only)

Should I buy the fish one by one or both at the same time (Qt them together or alone)?

Do I use prazi and salt only? Salt at 0.1% or higher? For how long?

I know that makes a lot of questions but I want to make sure I get it right! Thanks ^^!

I'll start by sharing my practice with the fish QT :)

First off, you might as well get both fish at the same time. I know it's a 10 gallon tank, but I am making the suggestion based on the recommendation that you do water changes either daily or every other day. A 10g is small enough that you can do this, and as long as you do this 10g is a fine temporary space for the 2 fish, unless they are gigantic. I currently have 2 rather large ranchus in QT in a 10g, and I have opted to keep them there instead of going to a bigger tank, since I do daily 99% WCs (two back to back WCs).

Unless the fish are showing major symptoms of flukes, I would start the QT by raising the salt to 0.3% (incrementally) and keep it at that concentration for about 1 week. Then, I would lower the salt to 0.1% and treat with PraziPro. Things are a bit simpler if you are Prazi-treating but not with PraziPro. In that case, you can start treatment right away, and keep salt at 0.3% for the duration of QT.

My QT typically will last 3-6 weeks, and possibly longer. With the current two, I know they will be in QT for 5 weeks at least, since I am not quite convinced that they are fully healthy yet. The idea behind QT is that you pre-emptively treat for flukes and other external issues, AND that you allow the fish sufficient time (weeks) to manifest internal issues if they are harboring any. 3 weeks is the bare minimum in my mind, and longer is much more preferable. :)

I'll start by sharing my practice with the fish QT :)

First off, you might as well get both fish at the same time. I know it's a 10 gallon tank, but I am making the suggestion based on the recommendation that you do water changes either daily or every other day. A 10g is small enough that you can do this, and as long as you do this 10g is a fine temporary space for the 2 fish, unless they are gigantic. I currently have 2 rather large ranchus in QT in a 10g, and I have opted to keep them there instead of going to a bigger tank, since I do daily 99% WCs (two back to back WCs).

Unless the fish are showing major symptoms of flukes, I would start the QT by raising the salt to 0.3% (incrementally) and keep it at that concentration for about 1 week. Then, I would lower the salt to 0.1% and treat with PraziPro. Things are a bit simpler if you are Prazi-treating but not with PraziPro. In that case, you can start treatment right away, and keep salt at 0.3% for the duration of QT.

My QT typically will last 3-6 weeks, and possibly longer. With the current two, I know they will be in QT for 5 weeks at least, since I am not quite convinced that they are fully healthy yet. The idea behind QT is that you pre-emptively treat for flukes and other external issues, AND that you allow the fish sufficient time (weeks) to manifest internal issues if they are harboring any. 3 weeks is the bare minimum in my mind, and longer is much more preferable. :)

Wow, thank you! I'm planning on getting fairly small fish - babies or young ones. I was planning on doing daily wc anyways :D

This is very helpful!!!! :clapping:

This is very helpful!!!! :clapping:

Glad I'm not the only one who can benefit from that post :D

I usually just do one bleach dip (1 part bleach to 19 parts water, soak plants for 2-3 min, rinse in tap water, then soak again in water with extra water conditioner to remove any bleach residue). You can also use potassium permanganate to sterilize plants if you have it, this can be a little gentler on more delicate plants than bleach sometimes.

I personally do not QT my plants after the bleach dip (I am not that patient), but I also make a point not to buy plants from tanks with fish in them (not that this guarantees anything, it is still a calculated risk I take). But if you want to QT them after the bleach dip in a separate tank from the fish, I would do a 2-3 week QT.

The plants were in a tank with a few small fish, so I want zero risks, thank you very much Tithra for the info! ^^

I also do the bleach dip and then don't QT. But to be super safe, you could QT aferwards.

I also do the bleach dip and then don't QT. But to be super safe, you could QT aferwards.

Now, I just want to put my new plants in my main tank and see what they look like! :wall I must resist ... LOL.