Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Niffarious

New T's!

132 posts in this topic

I jumped headfirst back into keeping tarantulas.

I picked up these gorgeous critters the other day:

Avicularia versicolor

invert03.jpg

Poecilotheria metallica:

invert04.jpg

I've got several other species (I picked up a few others with these also). These are two of my favourite, and I'm thrilled to finally have them. :)

Ooh. Very pretty. And creepy. I've always found tarantulas to be a little bit of both! :D

The Poecilotheria metallica is gorgeous! We need more pics!

Uhh...congrats :unsure:

Just kidding :P Good luck! Those make me shiver to think about though lol

I spent 20 minutes chasing the versicolor around my desk...so I'm pictured out tonight...lol. I have to re-house a couple into larger enclosures tomorrow though, so I'm sure there will be more pics to come. :D

So cooooool! I love the metallic! I hate little spiders, but tarantulas are epic!

Question, are the bristles soft? O:

They are soft. :) There are new world species that have urticating hairs which they shed on purpose to cause itching/allergic reaction. It's a defence mechanism,

Congrats! Im glad tou got the ones you wanted. :)

Dont take this the wrong way, But Yikes! Don't they kind of scare you? Even just a little?! ;)

Do you hold them? If one of those got anywhere near me I would probably start crying :rofl they wouldn't be creepy if it weren't for the 8 eyes! Yikes!

Thats just one pet I couldnt have. Im scared to death of Spiders :yikes

congrats! :) Not my cup of tea, but they do have some pretty colors.

Well, someone has to love them:) Spiders and snakes I can't do :) Congratulations

They don't scare me...but I do have a healthy respect for a couple of them! I find bugs and spiders really really neat, beautiful and interesting. I think I'm fully missing whatever the appropriate human response is to spiders. :D

You guys are awesome though, I have to say. There are very few places I could share these photos (aside from a tarantula forum) where people would still appreciate them despite not being the...biggest fan of spiders. ;)

That's cool! That's fun that you can appreciate these guys :) one of my elementary school teachers had one, and just adored it!

I appreciate them from afar, but couldn't say I would want to hold one.

Most of my friends are totally grossed out by my frog, so I know how you feel ;)

Edited by pandamanda111

Some more photos!

I have a really hard time getting photos of one of my favourites - Chromatopelma cyaneopubescens. She is dark turquoise and bright orange, but the photos always look really super washed out.

invert06JPG.jpg

invert09.jpg

invert10.jpg

Lasiodora parahybana - close up of fluffy legs. :)

invert08j.jpg

Poecilotheria pederseni - came out enough that I could get some nice shots of her pretty legs. Unfortunately she'd webbed up the glass, so no great macro shots here.

invert11.jpg

invert12.jpg

Food ;)

invert05.jpg

Oooh. Great pics! :)

OhMyGoodness!!! :krazy: :krazy: :krazy: I would faint! :yikes:thud

Haha, I can understand that...though at the same time, I think they're adorable. Fluffy, colourful, interesting, predatory, silk comes out of their rear. I can't help but be fascinated.

I'm deathly afraid of spiders. I will scream like a 12 year old school girl and run to the other side of the house screaming "MOM!" so i regret clicking the link.

But I understand my fear is totally irrational and spiders are beautiful, amazing creatures. That doesn't mean I don't almost pee myself looking at one. Nice pics!

Those are some beautiful spiders! I wish one of my friends liked them as much as you do, so I could go over to their house and look at how neat they look and then go home to my own lovely spider-free abode. :) I'm the kind of person who totally digs these guys... from a distance.

I forced myself to look, and objectively, I can see that they are interesting with some beautiful features. But they are not for me. :scared:hide:

Interesting creatures... :peeka

Have you ever been bitten by 1?

Nope. I don't handle them at all, and I use tongs and small containers where appropriate if I need to move one.

Oh really?! Do most T owners not handle them?

I should NOT have looked at those pics at night! :rofl

The eyes freak me out more than you can imagine. Lol!

But I think it's great that you love them so much.

I didn't realize that they shouldn't be handled!

Oh my. I have no words. LOL, after looking at the cute bunny thread then this one, it really jolts one who is not a spider lover! I don't mind snakes and other critters, but spiders creep me out, tarantulas to me are too much like big spiders. However, I still catch and release spiders outside when I find them indoors, which amuses people. I have a soft heart. Thanks for sharing. :)