Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
BriansMom

Chickens!

21 posts in this topic

Here are some pictures I took of my chickens today :) They are now 1 years old!

Debbie

P5112407.jpg

P5112295.jpg

Please let me out :(

P5112325.jpg

Stephanie

P5112275.jpg

P5112425.jpg

P5112428.jpg

When one jumps up, they other just has to as well

P5112394.jpg

Soo tired

P5112436.jpg

P5112328.jpg

P5112316.jpg

P5112240.jpg

They are both too cool!

What kind of chicken is Stephanie?

Btw, I love their names :rofl

Stephanie is beautiful and Debbie just has the sweetest little face!! I think it's so cool that you have them! How old are they??

They are very cute!! I want chickens so badly!!!

chickens! I love chickens. I'm definitely going to get a few hens when I have my own house and garden. :D

SO CUTE!!!!

>.< so cute!!

I want chickens!!!

Wow Stephanie is so gorgeous! I might get some chickens when I move into my own house. Can you tell us a little more about their housing, care, food etc??? Are they smelly? Noisy? Would love pics of the house!

They said thanks for all the great compliments! They were a year old last week! Stephanie is a silver laced wyandotte and debbie is a buff orpington. And yes, I love their names too! They suit them perfect. I want to get another and name her Sharon :)

I encourage you all to get them. They are so sweet if you raise them with love and attention. I find them so relaxing when I just go in their run and sit with them.

Housing kind of depends on the person and enviroment. Their "coop" which is like their house is 6x6x6 which for only two chickens is pretty big! I couldnt imagine it being smaller but apparently chickens dont mind being confined. Theirs is pretty nice, cost me probably almost a $1000 dollars to make! But I live in MN so I had to make it very insulated for them so it has double walls with insulation fiber class between. And I also have electricity in it for those super cold nights! It is attached to a "run" which is their outdoor area which has hardwire cloth (that was spendy too) and is 10x10x10. The hardwire cloth covers the whole thing and goes underground so predators cant dig under and get to them. Unfortunately its all dirt since they destroyed the grass but they have fun digging for worms. The run was included in the 1000. I'll take a picture of it tomorrow for you guys. I made it cute :)

Their care is simple. They didnt need any shots or anything. I havent had any problems with them and am so scared I will because I honestly dont know anything about chickens! I notice on the chicken forum, they dont have people like you guys that help with emergency situations so I am very nervous for the day something happens. Luckily they are usually a result from predators and I dont have to worry about that too much. I let them free range almost everyday for at least a half hour but I am always right next to them. We have a stupid neighbor dog that I have to beware of and he has came around a couple times when they are out but luckily they trust me and I just run to them and scoop them up quick! Common diseases you hear about in chickens are impacted crops (where their food is stored), worms, egg bound, etc so I kind of read on the basics on what to do if I am in that situation. If I lose one of my babies I am screwed! They are so close to each other and chickens are very social so they would be devestated without each other.

I dont think they are smelly but I could be used to it... But I never noticed it when I got them. I havent had them full grown in the summer so we'll see ;) But it gets mixed into the dirt so fast that I never notice any smell. They arent toooo noisy. They do make some noise when they see me and want something (food)! Or when they lay their eggs. They are definitely not like roosters though! Mainly small little adult chirps. Ha hard to explain, I will have to post a video sometime :)

Food is super easy too. 80% of their food is chicken feed which I think is mainly corn. Otherwise I give them lots of treats which is normally dry oatmeal or nuts/fruit bird food. If they are lucky (which is often) I give them berries, cheese, yogurt, mac and cheese, spinach, tator tot hotdish... you name it.... they will eat it! Food is super cheap for them. I think its maybe 9 bucks a bag and for 2 chickens... I have bought 2 bags since I have had them.

So they are very easy to care for, the only pricey part is building the coop! Loving them is the easy part :)

The most stressful thing with chickens, its almost impossible to sex them when they are born... They base it on how their feathers looked. You dont know what they are until they are maybe 15-20 weeks old which is a loooong, stressful wait when you can only have hens in town :(

Edited by Thea

They are gorgeous! I really miss being on my parents' acreage and minding the chickens. :)

This guy was my favourite:

aur01.jpg

My personal attack rooster. :D

Lovely! I am dying for pics of the house lol.

Why are you not allowed to have a rooster?

How sweet they are! I have a friend who has chickens, and hers, too, come over and jump up into her lap when she goes to visit them in their coop. I think that is just so neat.

Oh, yes! Pictures of the housing, please! :clapping: Before you know it everyone on here is going to have chickens and rabbits galore! :rofl

By popular demand, here is their home! :)

IMG_7458.jpg

IMG_7466.jpg

IMG_7463.jpg

IMG_7422.jpg

Now notice their nesting box..... And a few feet over, where they lay their eggs :doh11:

IMG_7423.jpg

Heres a vid! Debbie hates cats ;)

Edited by Thea

That is the nicest house!!! I am totally getting chickens.

But I think we have weasels around here. How predator proof is the coop?

Yes I think you should! I forgot someone asked why I cant have roosters, I live in town and roosters arent allowed :(

Weasels are definitely something that will get a chicken! The coop is very easy to proof against them as long as you dont have holes. My door for them goes straight to the run which is what you HAVE to predator proof really good! Chicken wire is to hold chickens in, not prevent predators! They can easily reach through chicken wire holes and grab them, so I used hard cloth wire. You just have to make sure it is completely covering all the sides, and then I put chicken wire over the top since thats not a problem. And then I dug around the whole coop sides and layed down hard cloth wire under the ground which was I think maybe 2 feet so they cant dig in. 2 feet is what they say is the minimum for an animal to get too tired and give up. Then I just put the dirt back over top of the wire. I put it underground on the outside of the run except the side where it is attached to the coop, I put it on the inside. You can see it in the picture where I am holding stephanie.....

They are gorgeous! I really miss being on my parents' acreage and minding the chickens. :)

This guy was my favourite:

My personal attack rooster. :D

Oh and I love your roo! So beautiful, I cannot wait to have roosters someday! They are so sweet to the hens, I love hearing peoples' stories about them. And I was very happy to know if you have one, you wont have a thousand chicks because as long as you put the eggs in the fridge, they wont fertilize because they need warmth.

I LOVE your chickens! What a nice house you have for them :) I don't believe I've ever seen a chicken house with wall decorations :D

BTW, you should totally submit one of these pictures to Kritter Of The Week :clapping:

I love the little noises Stephanie makes when you're petting her. So sweet!! And you definitely did an amazing job on the house. Lucky little hens!

Oh my goodness! They are too cute :)

Did you build that coop all by your self? It is lovely! :)