Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Sweets

New Tank Help

11 posts in this topic

I have finally purchased a new tank for my two fantails Bubbles and Midas. For the past year they have lived in a 10 gallon tank, I found out after blowing all of my money on the tank and set up that it was over stocked (got to love the large chain pet stores) times got tough for me for awhile and I was not able to upgrade their home. Now I have!

I got a 54 gal Bow front tank with a Penguin Bio wheel filter rated for a 50 gal tank. I am planning to use my current filter that I have on my 10 gal (rated for 20 gal) as well. I would like to keep it a bare bottom tank with a few round glass beads and some plastic plants for entertainment. Now here are my questions:

1. I just filled up my tank last night when can I move the fish to the new tank?

2. The fish are currently at my work which is 35 minutes away from the new tank at my house. I still have the bag that I bought the fish in, should I use it to take the fish home? Or how should I get them there with the least amount of stress on them?

3. Should I add some aquarium salt to the new tank to reduce stress?

Thank you for any and all help I can get. These are my first fish and I am not great at it yet, just want to do right by the fish. If there are any other suggestions that you can throw my way I would appreciate it. I do not want to buy another fish to cycle the tank with (these two are keeping me plenty busy) and I know that a 10 gal is not great for them so I am confused what to do. Thanks so much for the help!

Also I have the plastic plants from my 10 gal tank that are in need of a cleaning, should I put them dirty into the new tank for bacteria reasons?

1. if you transfer the old filter, you should be able to put your fish in immediately, if only because they'd be better off in the bigger volume of water than stuck in the 10g while you cycle your 54g.

2. 35 minutes is fine for them to travel, considering fish are often transported overnight! I think the best way would be to put them in a container or bag (big enough, mind), filled with enough water to comfortably cover their dorsals, then put them in a box to minimise jiggling. you'll need to pack the box with padding (newspaper, bubblewrap, towels, etc) to make sure they don't roll around in the box, and also to lessen the impact of bumps on the road.

3. I don't think you need to add salt to the new tank since you are not adding any new fish or anything. just water conditioner and anything else essential like a buffer. you will need to make sure the temp of the tank is the same as the temp from the water the fish are in, and check that pH is the same too.

4. not much bacteria colonises on ornaments so it wouldn't matter that much whether you cleaned it or not, but what I'm more concerned about is that plastic could be sharp on delicate fins - I'd personally just chuck the plastic and get silk plants, or real plants!

hope that helps :)

The plastic plants are super soft, may not even be plastic but more of a rubber made by red sea. they have been with them for a year now and the absolutely LOVE swimming around in them. I did end up taking a goofy ornament out of the tank a year ago for the sharp corners through the suggestions of this page. Thank you so much for the help!!!

okay well if they're not snaggable plants (have you tried running a pair of tights/pantyhose over it?), then put them in dirty or clean really haha. maybe just give it a wipe down in some old tank water.

Sweets, I think that as far as goldfish filtration is concerned, you will need more than what is rated on the filters.

In general, for HOB (hang on back) types of filtration, these things together should push LEAST 10x the volume of the tank. In this case, the total filtration should exceed 540 gph. I don't think the new filter and the old one together will add up to that. Any chance you could exchange the new filter for something else, like the AquaClear 110? That one works much better in any case :)

That looks like a very soft, rubber-like plant. I wouldn't hesitate to put that in my own tank if it fit my decor. :)

The easiest way I've found for transporting fish, particularly bigger ones, is to put a bin bag (trash bag, whatever you want to call it - big black ones!) into a bucket, fill about 2/3 with water and add the fish then tie the bag over the top. Even if the bag mysteriously gets a hole it'll hardly leak because the water pressure pushes it against the side of the bucket, the fish get plenty of water and it's easy to carry. Just do NOT under any circumstances attempt to lift the bag full of water out the bucket, it can't take the weight unsupported - I did this once and fish and water went all over the floor!

Thank you everyone for all of the informatin. I took them home and they are SOO happy in the large tank. They are having difficulty with the new filter as it creats a flow that they are not used to and it tumbles them when they get too close to it. I cant immagine them dealing with anything stronger at this time. I have the water filled up to the bottom of the output to reduce the "turbulance" while they are swimming. I will post pictures of it soon. I need some more decorations that are tall for this big tank. I thank everyone on here for all of the help I would be lost without you guys! I deffinately wonder if my fish would be alive if it were not for the help from here.

When I took my fish home I kept the bag that I got them in, and I read on the back of it that 1 goldfish requires 2 gal of water. I think PetCo should do some hard thinking about what they are putting on the bags. When I bought the fish I figured that if 1 needed 2 gal then 2 would need 4 gal and I was doing great buying a 10 gal tank! Oh the things that I have learned. Thank you again everyone.

You could point the output towards the top of the water this will create surface disruption and buffer the flow in the tank, I find that my fish tend to avoid the heavy flow area however i occasionally see them swimming towards the output directly in the flow (i just think there using it as a fish treadmill)