Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Fish_Fanatic

Wendal is not doing well, again...

157 posts in this topic

No, no. You should definitely feed Wendal.

How is he? Does he rouse when you come near or when there is food? May we see pics of the eyes, from a few different perspectives.

Im thinking right now hun. The log and extra waste is effecting your fish....

So you did a 50% water change and added .1% salt right?

Then I would do is actually do another water change again now, then add the salt back so its at .1%. Then I would feed then nothing but green beans for a day. This will purge the fish out. Then from there see if we need medicated food.

Thats my opinion :)

He becomes more active when I enter the room. Food doesn't seem to phase him, but when it floats by, or when I put it near his mouth, he eats it.

I've been sitting in the room with him for the past while and now he doesn't react to my presence. I will try to take a photo of his eyes, but I don't know if I can get different perspectives unless I hold him, which I really want to limit doing. Will post pictures ASAP.

koko, I just finished doing the 50% change about 20 minutes ago. Haven't yet added the salt. I just want to make sure I add the right dosage. I have a 38 gallon tank, so I should be adding 38 teaspoons of salt, if I'm correct?

And you suggest doing ANOTHER 50% water change now?

Yes lets try to get as much of that gunk out of the tank first... Then you can add the salt hun... :) Yes to the salt amount :)

Is your PH a stable ph or do you have to use buffer?

The pH is pretty stable, sits around 7.5.

I got almost all of the gunk out of the tank on my first cleaning. I don't actually think I can do another one right now (people are going to bed soon at my house....). Should I just salt now and do another big change tomorrow once I get home from work? Would that be okay? Or do you think Wendal might not make it through the night if I don't?

He's really going downhill :( He's breathing incredibly fast and bouncing up and down with each breath. I wish I could get a video of what he is doing right now, but my camera just died so I've got the camera charging now.

dnalex, this is the only photo I had of his eye, and I can't get more until the camera is charged:

http://i29.photobucket.com/albums/c295/goldfishgirl89/DSC04704.jpg

Also, I'm a little concerned about his gill cover - it seems a lot more transparent than it used to be. Here is a shot of that:

http://i29.photobucket.com/albums/c295/goldfishgirl89/DSC04706.jpg

can you take a look at his gills and tell us what color they are?

I would like someones in put... But that eye, the redness, the extra gunk in the tank, is leading me to the possibility of Popeye, or an bacterial infection.

thoughts guys :)

Which part of his gills? I don't see any redness or anything like that anywhere on his gills. The covers (although transparent seeming) look to be the same colour as the rest of him.

The actually gill :) is it pale, red, purple? They look like they might be a little dark just based on the gill plate pic, but if you could catch a glimpse of the actual gill meat behind the plate and check out the color that would be good :)

EDIT: I would agree with that koko, that does look like a fluid ring in the eye pic

Edited by tithra

Koko,

There is definitely some infection going on. If you guys look in the second pic, midway down his body there is a blood patch.

I'm thinking he should go on the metro-gel food as well.

There is definitely something wonky with the tank, since all three came down with something on the heels of each other :(

tithra, he's currently sitting in the back corner of the tank, and I can't for the life of me get a look at him. I'll reach in and move him around a bit to see if I can take a look. In the meantime, here's a different picture (this time with the flash), this one doesn't look so dark to me, it may have just been the image, not sure.

http://i29.photobucket.com/albums/c295/goldfishgirl89/DSC04698.jpg

dnalex, will the metro gel food help with pop eye? I thought it was just for dropsy, but I'm pretty new to all this medication stuff! Also, I mentioned the bloody patch earlier, there's a much better photo of it earlier in the thread if you would like to take a better look at it.

Poor guy, he's trying to swim, but it's just not happening for him..

There are other medications that I would have chosen, but given the popeye itself is a kind of manifestation of dropsy (fluid retention), it might be worth it to use metronidazole. What do you guys think, tithra and koko?

Im thinking yup. We need to treat it likes its dropy's to get a hold of this.... Medicated Gel food.

Did you put the salt in there already?

Sounds good to me. And does adding the .1% salt to the tank now sound appropriate? (I am thinking about the reported rapid breathing and nitrites in the tank, should help with this right?)

EDIT: posted at the same time as koko :)

Edited by tithra

Okay, I'll start him on the metro gel food. I have not yet added the salt to the tank; I just finished dissolving it all in a bowl of tank water. Should I go ahead and add it now or will it interfere with the metronidazole?

Is this fish by its self now?

Im just wondering of we should do Epsom salt or Reg salt.. :)

Koko, a little bit of aquarium salt will be helpful to block the nitrite toxicity. Even 1 level teaspoon in 5 gallons is fine.

I have no opinion on the Epsom.

He's by himself in the tank. You think I should do epsom instead of the aquarium salt?

I haven't added anything yet because I just want to make sure I make the best choice for Wendal!

Koko, a little bit of aquarium salt will be helpful to block the nitrite toxicity. Even 1 level teaspoon in 5 gallons is fine.

I have no opinion on the Epsom.

I forgot about the nitrites... good call

:thumb:

He's by himself in the tank. You think I should do epsom instead of the aquarium salt?

I haven't added anything yet because I just want to make sure I make the best choice for Wendal!

Go ahead with reg salt hun :)

Okay, will do!

Should I feed him the metro gel food now as well? I really hope I made enough. I was only expecting to treat Eugene with it, not Wendal too! Oh well, if I run out, I'll just have to buy more metronidazole and make some more!

Yes, go ahead with the metro, too, please.

Good luck!

Alright. Salt is in, and I will go grab some of the gel food right now. I'm going to have to hand feed it to him, I hope he takes it!

Make sure he eats 1% of his body weight a day divided up into at least 3-4 meals, just like with Eugene :)

I will try my best. He didn't want to take the food from me, it just ended up falling to the bottom of the tank, but hopefully he picks at it and eats it.

On a side note, I just fed Eugene his gel food and he swam at it like it is his favorite thing in the world! Gobbled it all up and is now swimming around picking up every single little bit that went floating around!

I hope Wendal starts to eat with that kind of vigor!

He was lying on his side in the back corner of the tank, so I had to scoop him up in my hand to try to feed him. He didn't take much of the food, but once I released him, he started wiggling around the bottom of the tank upside right! As I said that, he just swam up to the surface really fast, and immediately sunk back down to the bottom, twice. Now he is sitting in the back corner again.

I don't know if that is a good sign or not, but hopefully I get this all sorted out for him ASAP.