Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
number20121

Tropicals ich and salt

10 posts in this topic

I do know how to treat ich, I got rid of it on the tiny tots very quickly with 80F and 0.3% salt, but I still have ich in my tropical tanks.

I am very careful with the salt in there because there is a ton of scaleless fish, snails, shrimps and the two ADFs in the betta tank, and from what I read, tropicals are more sensitive to salt, so I only went up to 0.15%.

The ich is still there though. None of the affected fish (it's mainly the neons and platies, as well as the betta) is severely affected; each of them has a less than 10 ich spots, but it doesn't go away so far.

Now what? Should I carefully try to up the salt some more? I only go by 0.05%, so I could raise it to 0.2% and see how they do. So far I don't see any problems, except for the dwarf gourami, who appears ich free, but the salt seems to bug him, but he seems slightly off ever since he got himself stuck and hurt in the divider.

I could remove him from the tank temporarily though and keep him in single confinement until the ich is over.

you also have to be careful of your plants too right? before getting into goldfish i had always used ich rid with success but not sure if that would be an option you would want to consider? hopefully someone else will have a better suggestion for you ;)

Thanks Shelly! That's true, with the plants and the salt I need to be careful too. I wonder if I should try to remove the affected fish, but all I got available at the moment is a 6 gallon tub.

But good luck catching a dozen neons out of the tank with the two angelfish-dividers and all these plants.

I saw a medication at Petsmart, it was http://www.petsmart....ductId=10884131

The reviews look decent (except the whining about the cutting of the tablet being a pain - but that's what you get when you keep your fish in a 1.5 gallon bowl and am using tablets for 10 gallons each :rolleyes: ), and it says it is safe for plants and scaleless fish. No idea about invertebrates though, I'd have to google that.

It said to use half dose on tetras or something like that. So I would only need 3 tablets for each treatment, the package contains 8. That's not too bad.

EDIT: I read it is NOT safe for shrimp. So I'd probably still have to remove the affected fish for a few days

Edited by Oerba Yun Fang

I have risen my tank up to 0.1% with corydoras and snails with only minor irritation. My gourami were also a little off during the salt treatments and also tried to jump out of a bowl during a salt bath treatment, so maybe they are just a little sensitive? I have never actually gotten rid of ich in my tropical tank with salt by itself (I also didn't want to add too much salt)

It might be better to go with a commercial medication instead. It is hard to find ones that are safe to use on scaleless fish though (I have poisoned a cory doing this) but I find multi-cure by aqua master worked effectively with white spot and I could use it at full dose, but I guess you can explore other medications as well. They generally say if they can't be used on scaleless fish

I think it would be fine to raise the salt slowly and just see how they do :)

Edited by Narny105

I had velvet in my qt tank. You are supposed to treat the same as ich. So I went up to .01%. The betta dropsied and another fish didn't make it. I had better luck with coppersafe :(

The thing with CopperSafe is that as long as you are careful with the dosing and checking for free copper, it is a very effective medication, especially if other methods have been exhausted. I just wouldn't pick it first.

When I used it before. I limited it to only two weekly doses.

Yeah but with coppersafe I'm going to wipe out my snails and shrimp, or not? I could probably remove the remaining two snails, but try to find 8 ghost shrimp in a moderately planted 55 gallon tank with lots of hiding spaces. I might as well remove all the plants and decor too :rofl

Since the ich is only very light, I might just continue at 0.15% salt and maybe raise the temperature a bit more (it is at 80F right now). If it doesn't clear up in a few days, or gets worse, I will have to try medication.

Thanks for all the advice! :)

Inverts are are not safe with Coppersafe, actually :(

Yeah, that's what I thought. That's why I'll just be more patient with the salt :)

sadly with a planted and invert stocked tank maybe slow and steady is the way to go :) and if it's not a real bad ich case it's not a hurry up kind of thing which is better for you atm ;) hope it all works out for you soon :)