Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Captain Findus Goldfish

Crap

29 posts in this topic

Okay so last week we went to the vet with the girls with a check up and I noticed that Serafina, my 5year old Doxie had a pea sized lump on the left of her back - near the shoulder blade. The lump seems very superficial, fatty, and I can move it around. I showed the vet and she said to keep an eye on it, and that if we get worried she can always do a needle biopsy. So now i have become totally paranoid and tonight I found a similar lump on the right shoulder blade!!! :help: :help:

Do any of your dogs have this? SHould I ask for a needle biopsy? From what I have found searching around a bit it could be a Lipoma??? Should I ask for blood work to be done maybe?

F-R-E-A-K-I-N-G O-U-T!

My MIL's chihuahua has a few like that, on her back and sides. The vet checked them out and said not to worry about them.

If you can afford it, just have a biopsy and bloodwork done. This will ease your mind when you find out it's harmless or will give you an early treatment start in case it is a lipoma :)

My boxer has one on his neck that's the size of a grape.

Thanks Fang :)

I will call their other vet here and take her to get a second opinion. The other vet seemed quite happy with the fact it was movable. hmmm...

I think that in any case I will get her blood work done.

I just don't understand why now there are 2. (Unless I never paid attention and noticed them. They are SUPER small. It takes me about 5minutes of close 'pinching' to find them)

Shawn did the vet say your dog's isn't anything to worry about either?

Edited by Captain Findus Goldfish

My dog has several fatty tumours (cheek, back, sides) , and if that is what this is (they are rather common) it is nothing to worry about! I'd do the needle biospy by all means in any case, so that you can confirm what this is. The fatty ones can be removed, too, but I have not done it. I do hope that it is just these common fatty deposits that you have found on your Serafina, but honesty, I think you will feel better if you get it checked rather than if you keep an eye on it as the vet suggested. It sound like she is not worried (that's good!), but you are, and that's what is important. The needle biopsy is not a big deal at all--just like a shot, only they pull out some tissue. My dog has never been much bothered by it (more bothered by going to the vet, full stop). I have always had a needle biopsy done when I have discovered a new lump.

I should add that my dog has had fatty tumors for years! No problems.

Edited by spillie

I was worried also because she is quite 'young' still, right?

I am going to ask the guy here to do a biopsy, unless he can tell me for SURE it isn't anything lol. He is very knowledgable.

I was also reading that these fatty tumors are also more common in dogs with allergies. Serafina gets allergies so maybe that is what it is indeed. Now they are TINY so I guess removing them would make it even more noticeable - it leaves a scar right? I read that for people they can lipo them! Going to ask my vet if they do that in the UNI Zurich vet studies! lololol.

Oh it also says that if it is this fatty Lipoma thing, they it seems that it cannot become cancerous?

I don't think they can, though your vet can tell you better. In these fatty deposits, it is filled with greasy fat cells. I first noticed when when my dog was about 8, I guess, he's 13 now. Since I move so much, different vets have been involved each time I found a new one, and none have worried about it. :)

Edited by spillie

I feel much better thanx!

I don't want to be a downer, but I found a lump on my mom's dog. It was cancerous and the vet found two more when removing it. But, he made a full recovery. Tyson had one on his leg that went away on its own after the vet confirmed that it wouldn't cause any problems.

was that lump also movable?

I will take her to the vet. But at this point I am pretty sure it is a Lipoma. All the descriptions I read are exactly what it is. Like the fact that it is movable and how it feels etc. They seem to be common on the back.

I do remember pushing it around, but I don't remember if it stayed in the general area when pushing.

My lab always had fatty lumps, and Prince has one on his chest. I'm so used to having lumpy dogs that I rarely get worried about them :P

hi CFG, I too have had dogs with those kind of fatty moveing lumps on the back area. never came to anything. sometimes they get a lump/cyst that can be "popped" is full of white stuff .

Just this week we bred our female ( artificle method as she has never been able to complete it normal way) and I now have the male too as he is being retired from active duty at kennel and comes to live with me.I think i will check him out for lumps tomorrow now that you speak of it.

no need to worry ...if its bothering you get it checked ,worry later if need be ;)

no need to worry ...if its bothering you get it checked ,worry later if need be ;)

Great advice :)

Hoping it's nothing but fatty tissue. Get the biopsy Fede...if you are like me you will worry forever if you don't!

Max had quite a few of those fatty lumps and his started appearing when he was about 3 yrs old. But if you are worried do get the biopsy done, it is such a relief to know exactly what it is. The fact that it moves around is usually very good. :)

Federica, I just spent the last half hour checking Dash for lumps! :o

In any case, just for peace of mind, why don't you get it tested? Hopefully the results will show that it's nothing to worry about at all :)

May at this point I mention how it makes me laugh every time I look at View New Content and it shows "Crap in Dogs" ?

lypoma.. my shepherd lived with one for many years.. probably 14 years? just between his underarm and chest. i got it biopsied.. better to know what it is. early prevention is the safer way to be.

Hi CFG

My 3yo poodle recently had a pea sized lump on her face.

I took her to the vet and it was apparently a sebatious cyst. He said to keep an eye on it and that they are harmless unless they begin to grow/weep change colour etc. basically he said if its not cancerous and stays the same then cysts and limphomas are nothing to worry over.

As it happened Phoebes lump started to go an angry red colour, and my vet said it was likely the built up sebum inside starting to get infected and that because the cyst was changing it would be best to remove it. Specifically he wanted to get it while it was small because it was on the bridge of her snout where theres not much flesh to stitch back up, so if it got bigger itd be harder to remove.

The op was a success but stressful for us both. She does have a small scar and the fur thats grown back over the area so far (op was in december) is darker than her normal colour but its not huge or disfiguring so I wouldnt worry about that aspect even if you do come down to it in the end.

I hope the second opinion and/or biopsy come back clear for you and that you can put your mind at ease!

Shawn did the vet say your dog's isn't anything to worry about either?

Yes, he said not to worry about it. :)

Fatty lumps are pretty common. If you can move it about that is usually the indicator to know it is safe. But a needle biopsy is super easy and it save worry. I would have it aspirated just for peace of mind.

YIPPEE!!!

Serafina went to visit the vet here today and he said the lumps were absolutely nothing to worry about!!! :nana He also said he didn't suggest doing a needle biopsy because he was pretty sure it was safe, and it would only stress Serafina.

Her other issue is that she is loosing hair in her armpits and torso. So we asked him what he thought. He suggested a 'dairy free' diet which cracked me up. I told him she was a vegan dog :flex: So he gave us some calorie and vitamin rich 'paste' which should boost her a little. He thinks the issue could be her thyroid. But I remember that in NYC we had a similar issue and the thyroid tests had come back clear. So we shall see. For now she is getting special soothing shampoos :) I am wondering if the rugs I got in Morocco could be irritating her??? Her hair issues started around the same time. Maybe I should take them to be cleaned?

I will try and bring her to the dermatologist friday. This lady is the one who had previously fixed her 'armpit problem' LOLOLOL!

Oh and the girls are joining BF and I to Beirut when we go in a few weeks. (bf for business, I am just tagging along!)