Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Budisattva

Effects Of Salt In A Goldfish Aquarium

9 posts in this topic

Hello I started off putting 1 tablespoon of salt per 5 gallons of water in my goldfish aquarium, I later read online that I should put 1 tablespoon per gallon which I now do. My fish seem to be doing ok. But I have recently added a few plants to my aquarium and I wonder how the salt will effect my plants. I have also been doing more research and finding that most other sources tell me not to add salt at all. Should I be messing with mother nature by adding salt to a freshwater environment?

We only add salt during Qt periods and never for more than 4 weeks. So if you have had the salt in for more than 4 weeks I would remove 1/3 of your water today and replace it with salt free water. Do this for the next 3 days.

It is also not one tablespoon per gallon when you treat for illness but 1 teaspoon. I would follow Ashlee's good advice. Never add salt unless in quarantine or if you have a sick fish with ich or some other illness that can be treated with salt. By continuously adding salt it usually builds up the diseases immunity to it, making it less effective.

Not only that, but the creeping of salt to "unsafe" levels over time could lead to balance issues and fin issues. I would not treat a fish or tank with salt for longer than 4 weeks, and most times 1-2 weeks at low concentrations is already sufficient.

With salt, there can be too much of a good thing. Ashlee gave to excellent advice :)

I've been doing it for two weeks now, but I will start the water changes right away. So I guess that answers my question :)

From previous experience from many years ago and also from my new planted tank I always add 1 level teaspoon of salt for every 5 liters of water. When doing water changes I add the salt again to replace the salt that is taken out.

Salt (or salt like stuff) in natural lakes or rivers is always present and should not be a problem in the aquarium. I don't know if there is any scientific reason to add salt but I have always done it!

At the above concentration salt will not hurt your fish, plants, snails, shrimps, bacteria in your filter or any other creepy crawly in your tank. I even use the above concentration in my newly hatched fry tank.

Lennard

Yes Lennard , I have been adding 1 tablespoon per 5 gallons every water change and I've been doing that for over a year. (since I started keeping goldfish) What I recently read was on the fish sempai website and it had said to put 1 tablespoon per gallon and that would put my salt level at .3% and that it would not be hard on the fish but it would be enough to kill parasites.

I don't want to mess with mother nature though so I am doing water changes now over the weekend and adding fresh water. So I will get rid of the salt by Monday night. I thought I would ask the pros here on this web board because there seems to be two schools on the topic.

There are very few plants that can survive that concentration of salt.

here are some

http://www.aquariumplants.com/Brackish_Water_Plants_s/22.htm

I thought using salt all the time was right also, the first year. Then I lost both of my fish.=( One of the problems with always salting the tank, is if you have an actual illness, you cannot use salt, due to the tolerance of it.

Best to use salt in a quarantine tank only for new fish, or sick fish.

I regularly run my central systems at 3 ppt Salt especially when raising fry (keeps brine alive till the next feeding) or if I've gotten new fish recently (even though they are quarantined in a different system).

3 parts per thousand is the basic level for ich or other ciliate. It is one TABLESPOON (3 teaspoons or 15 mls) per gallon. Goldfish can live and breed in this level of salt indefinitely and I have never seen any harm from it.

I use a conductivity meter to monitor the concentration.