Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
ctm

Goldfish Is Turning Red Around Fins And Stomach?

11 posts in this topic

Hey guys, my goldfish is starting to turn red around both front fins, where his tail meets his body, and a little on his stomach. I also have just recently found him just chillin out along the bottom in the back corner alot. He is still eating normally. I have two other goldfish along with a snail and a small pleco in a new 55 gal so maybe amonia poisoning or possibly septicemia. Idk maybe yall can help me out.

Hi there,

So sorry to hear you're having troubles with your fish. For us to be able to offer advice and help, we really need you to answer as many of the questions at the top of this page as you possibly can. Thanks :)

sorry its my first post...rookie mistake

*]Test Results for the Following:

[*]Ammonia Level?--No testing kit

[*]Nitrite Level?

[*]Nitrate level?

[*]Ph Level, Tank (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines)?

[*]Ph Level, Tap (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines)?

[*]Brand of test-kit used and whether strips or drops?

[*]Water temperature?-- Around 70-75F

[*]Tank size (how many gals.) and how long has it been running?--55 Gal running about 5 days

[*]What is the name and "size of the filter"(s)?--It is the Marineland Emperor 400

[*]How often do you change the water and how much?--Have not changed yet

[*]how many days ago was the last water change and how much did you change?

[*]How many fish in the tank and their size? --3 regular non fancy goldfish all 3 around 3.5 inches long, 1 snail, and 1 pleco thats about 2.5 inches long. Tank is also planted.

[*]What kind of water additives or conditioners?--Jungle water conditioner when i first filled tank

[*]What do you feed your fish and how often?--Tetra goldfish flakes In the morning and recently some Hikari algea wafers and Wardleys shrimp pellets for the pleco at night.

[*]Any new fish added to the tank?--Had 3 goldfish in a 10 Gallon before i switched to the 55 gallon and it came with the pleco.

[*]Any medications added to the tank?0--No

[*]Any unusual findings on the fish such as "grains of salt," bloody streaks, frayed fins or fungus?-- Red patches at base of fins and red streak along underside of belly of only 1 fish.

[*]Any unusual behavior like staying at the bottom, not eating, etc.?--Yes, staying on the gravel in back corner of tank.

No probs, we all had a first post!

Since the tank has only just been set up 5 days and you haven't changed any water yet its most likely ammonia build up.

It does mean you have kickstarted a cycle which is good but it will be the cause of the reddening for sure and needs out asap.

Start with an 80% temperature matched water change and try and get hold of an API master test kit so you can follow ammonia and then it will become nitrite and finally you will have your safe water cycle.

The process usually takes about a month or more of daily partial water changes and the test kits help you know how much to change and how fast the nitrogen cycle is kicking in.

Your fish should perk up after a superlarge water change too.

Welcome to kokos! :)

ill look around and see if there is a testing kit hiding in the stand somewhere and ill do the water change tomorrow morning.

welcome to kokos.. you can always take some tank water (a cup of water is plenty) to your local LFS and they should be able to test the water for free.. write down the numbers and post them here.

if you can pick up some Seachem Prime whilst your there, that's a really good water conditioner to use whilst cycling a tank that has fish in it.

I can only agree with what has been said before. Until the nitrogen cycle has established in your tank, your fish are being exposed to toxins from their own waste (ammonia) and slowly being poisoned.

A drop test kit is an absolute must right now, so you can test daily to see how high the toxins are, and always keep ammonia 0.25ppm. If the test result shows higher, do a water change.

This is going to be a bit of a pain in the you know where, but as soon as the beneficial bacteria required for the cycle have established, you will only have to do 50% water changes weekly. :)

allright so i got my hands on an ammonia test and yeah the levels were pretty high, somewhere around 2.5 ppm so i did a water change and got it down to about .25 now and will continue to do about a 50% bi-weekly change. but the redness is slowly going away and he seems more active now. thanks guys

If you are cycling you will need to do a bit more than that. Daily 50% water changes are usually required. Don' t let that ammonia go over .25ppm. Nitrite is deadly, too. So you will want a kit for that and nitrate very soon.

i did pick up a kit that tests for nitrite, nitrate, and pH, so i will have to use that when i get the ammonia under control. so ill continue with the 50% daily changes for how long?

i did pick up a kit that tests for nitrite, nitrate, and pH, so i will have to use that when i get the ammonia under control. so ill continue with the 50% daily changes for how long?

Until the ammonia is under control meaning absent. There is no exact time frame. Your water will tell you what you need to do. Ammonia can shoot up quickly.

I would also be testing for nitrites as they will be coming. Nitrates might take a while, but I would still test for them.