Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
number20121

Memory Of The Waters

81 posts in this topic

I was a big animal lover ever since I was little. My first fish tank was a 2 gallon tank. My dad used to have a 29 gallon tank (guessing the size) and after my parents got rid of it, I was allowed to keep this small tank thing. I think it was maybe 12" or 15" long. No hood or lights or filter or anything. I think my dad used this thing to put his fish in when cleaning his tank.

Anyway, I had a lot of fish over the time back then when I was about... 8 years old. There are only two that I remember in particular: an orange single tail with black spot on the top of its head, and a pinkish-white veiltail. I don't remember how the single tail died, but the veiltail died because I loved it so much and wanted to make it happy by sharing my sugary candy with it... the next morning she was a lifeless floater :cry1 I felt so horrible for weeks, wishing I could turn back time and stop myself.

My little heart broke.

Waaaay later, after I moved in with my husband (I'm originally from Europe, he is from the United States, long distance relationship and immiagration and all that happy stuff) I wanted to get a fish tank again. That was in May 2009.

Silly me was at Pet$mart and saw a tiny tank similar to what I had as a kid and was determined to get it. Thinking I "knew" about the 1 fish per gallon rule... :doh11: As we went back to buy it, and were looking around I put my eyes on the 10gallon starter kit they had on sale for I think 30 bucks. The tiny tank was 12, and I said to Steven "How about we get this instead? It has all the extra stuff; hood, lights, filter, and I can put TEN fish in there!" :doh11: :doh11: :doh11: :doh11: :doh11: :doh11: :doh11: :doh11: :doh11: :doh11:

So that night (it was like 8pm) I bought the 10 gallon starter kit and 4 comets from the feeder tank, then went to Wally World (because for some reason Pet$mart didn't have a lot of different small cheap goldfish at that time) to pick up 2 shubunkins, 2 black moors and 2 common plecos there.

Overstocked is such an understatement...

We took all the stuff and the fish home, I set everything up and we were so excited! All the fish were very little, 3 inches at the most. Everything went well for two or three weeks, I noticed ammonia burns though. Well, I didn't know what they were but I googled for the dark spots on the fish and found out about cycling tanks, water quality etc. Then some of the fish started dying, I remember the first one to go was Charlie, one of the Shubunkins. I have to say though that he was injured when I got him. I didn't actually pick any of the fish, I just told the employees in both places that I want two fish from this and that tank.

But Charlie had part of his mouth and jaw missing, I think that didn't help either.

Then slowly some of the others died too until I was down to three goldfish and one pleco: Hugo, Orange Fishie, Blacky Fishie and Sucky Fishie. Somewhere around that time was when I found this website, and it as well as the members helped me SO MUCH understanding the world of fish tanks and goldfish keeping :)

Shortly after I finally got the money together to upgrade to at least a 20g starter kit, and kept checking craigslist for something bigger.

Knowing that the tank was overstocked I tried to take as good care of them as I could. There haven't been any ammonia burns ever since shortly after I got the 10g tank, no sickness either. I just had problems for a few weeks during June or so this year, when Orange Fishie got quite territorial and the same time very protective of Hugo. Orange Fishie chased Blacky Fishie and tore his tailfins up, so I had to help out with a temporary divider in the 20g tank... FUN.

Other than that the fish developed very well. They grew fast and became SO beautiful. I feel so lucky when I look at them and see how they happily swim around and look so healthy and pretty! :)

Now exactly two weeks ago I finally got a 55g tank for the fish, thanks to craigslist. This was an amazing deal: 55g tank with metal stand and everything you could think of - hood, lights, a Whisper EX70 filter plus unused cartridges, two heaters, a 5000cc/min air pump with accessories, and a boatload of water conditioners, PH adjusting stuff, nitraban. And all that for 75$.

Of course there was a catch: the seller did not mention in the ad that the tank was still in use and had fish in it. When I told him on the phone that I wasn't planning on any more fish, especially since his were tropicals and I couldn't keep them in the tank with the goldfish, the guy tells me that he doesn't really care what happens to the fish, I wouldn't have to take them. He'd just "hate to flush them".

When talking about fish, the word FLUSH rings a bell in my head and heart, so I told him I'd take them with me and try to find a new home for them.

Of course we kept them. :D I have to say that even though the tank is only a little more than a third of the size their old tank was, those fish are thriving. The colors improved especially in the gouramis. We got the single platy a mickey mouse platy as buddy, and a rubbernose pleco as cleaning crew.

More about the tropicals later, back to the goldfish:

When I knew that I finally was going to get a larger tank, I went back to Pet$mart because a few days earlier I fell in love with a bronze oranda they had. I was hoping he still was there, and yes, he was!!

Then the last addition to the goldfish was this uber cute, tiny, tri color telescope. Aside from that the goldfish share their tank with two apple snails and of course the surviving pleco.

I am reading a lot that common pleco and goldfish together is a bad idea, so I guess I'm very lucky that I didn't have problems. YET. If Sucky Fishie starts being a brat, I will have to re-home her into her own tank. Then I will have three tanks. :D (Not that I mind)

I know that it still isn't perfectly stocked, and when my hubby and me finally have a bigger place I want to upgrade one last time, to a really big tank for the goldis. I have 150g in mind, and if I find something larger that still fits in my budget, then that's what it will be. 210g would be awesome, and I would honestly love to add one or two more fish. I like having all different types of goldfish together, even though I know that some need special care because they're ad a disadvantage when eating. But I don't mind doing that; in fact I love it.

Edited by Oerba Yun Fang

:D I really liked this little story. :o yes I can't stress enough get the biggest size possible when you get more space. It really helps for those little impulse buys.

I know. 1 gallon per goldfish... man, was I off. The 55g is still pushing it, but the three double tails (?) are rather small right now. Blacky Fishie looks bigger than he is because of his big fins. Altogether he is 5", but it is 50/50 body/tail. Spicey is 3" long and Chibi only 2" , both of them including the tail. They're so tiny!

150g would give these five goldfish 30g each. Gotta consider Sucky Fishie and the two snails though, but still that would be great! And 210g... :3 I just hope I find one without canopy >.<

I wish I could show you how big sucky fishie will get. There's an aquarium store here that sells cheap tanks and my goodness they have a common pleco in a 75 gallon for sale and he's 2 feet long. They get HUGE. I'll take a picture of him, very beautiful though. Maybe when you get the big tank let him have your 50 gallon to himself?

I have seen one at Fintastic last week, they had him in with the kois. That pleco was like 15 inches, beautiful fish.

I want to get 75g for her, and have it nicely decorated and planted. I'd love to move the tropicals back into the 55g when I get a larger goldfish tank, although as of now they seem happy in the 20g. At least the small ones, not so sure if the angelfish is super excited about the smaller tank. She seems bored, I'd love to have another one of her kind with her in a bigger tank. But I will have to look into that, how they get along, what gender to get, how they will act towards the smaller fish etc.

Plecos are beautiful. I have always loved them, but they get beyond huge. They are small shark sized when well cared for.

And that is what I am planning on. I honestly didn't know they'd get that large. Wally World employee told me they only get that big in ponds, and I was like "oh, I won't have it in a pond, so it is fine!" Haha

But knowing how big they will get excites me. I LOVE how common plecos look. I just wish I knew if she really is a girl or not.

I'll definitely have to take a picture of the one at that pet store. I just love their mouths when they get on the glass :rofl they're so cute! I can't wait to see yours grow.

Right! I always want to stick my finger through the glass into its mouth and have the fish suck and nibble on it :D

Alright, today I will tell you guys about the personalities of my little cuties, starting with the ones I got the longest to the newest members of the family:

Hugo

since: May 2009

size: almost 9 inches

She is by far the largest fish I have, yet her size betrays her personality because she is a gentle giant. I don't remember ever seeing her bugging another fish and she doesn't even steal from the telescopes when I hand feed them. If she even comes up, then normally a couple inches away from them and waits to see if I toss her some food, but usually she eats stuff that floats to the bottom.

Whatever is there though, is hers. She doesn't guard it, but she is a fast eater and even steals the pleco's food. I always have to throw at least a couple algae chips in there at a time to make sure Sucky Fishie gets something. It's even worse with the shrimp pellets since they are small enough to be gobbled up by her in a matter of seconds :D

Hugo also seems like the leader in the tank. Orange Fishie follows her wherever she goes. Apparently she seems quite trustworthy; when I added Chibi who is only 2.5 inches long I was worried about how Hugo would act with her.

I was amazed to see that for the first few days Chibi was seeking Hugo's protection. She always swam between/behind Hugo and Orange Fishie until she felt comfortable enough to swim by herself. That was the cutest thing ever, it looked like happy family.

Fun fact is that when I first got her, I wasn't so crazy about her. She was one of my lesser favorite fish, but she turned out to be such a beautiful, wonderful girl that I feel bad about how I felt about her back then.

Orange Fishie

size: 7 inches

I think this is the only male goldfish I got. He seems to be terribly in love with Hugo, following her like a shadow. He also seemed genuinly concerned when Hugo was the first fish to show signs of flukes. Usually they both swim back and forth in the tank, but when Hugo was all still in a corner for a long time, just yawning and gaping, Orange Fishie seemed nervous. He tried to swim but never left too far but stayed with her in her corner. That was so sweet!

He's been a bully only once, maybe half a year ago. There he started going after Blacky Fishie and chased Hugo as if he was trying to mate, but she didn't seem too interested.

Orange Fishie grew a lot too. Unlike Hugo who already started out bigger than the others, he was one of the 27c feeder comets.

Blacky Fishie

size: 5.5 inches

This little beauty is so mellow. She usually keeps to herself. She always seems so innocent like a little girl that has a tea party with an imaginary friend, in her own little world. :3

(Un-)fortunately I have to hand feed her. Not just because she is a telescope but also because her mouth is really narrow, almost beak like. She loves playing in the bubbles and always gets a ton of fine bubbles stuck to her belly.

Blacky Fishie is the least shy of all of them, probably because the hand feeding. She even lets me pet her head while she is eating.

When she is hungry she starts making smacking noises at the water surface. I'm not sure if she is just trying to find some food up there or if she intentionally is trying to get my attention with that, either way it is cute! I'm just glad she never gets floaty from swalling air, although I noticed little bubbles in her poop occasionally.

Sucky Fishie

size: 6.5 inches

Not a goldfish, but still part of the fishie family. I didn't know that common plecos shouldn't be kept with goldfish when I got him. Or her, I have no clue. So far she is very very peaceful, I actually feel bad for her when Hugo and Orange Fishie steal her algae chips and shrimp pellets. The two single tail goldis literally RAID Sucky Fishie's house when she picks up an algae chips and tries to secure it inside her little cave. Just a couple weeks ago I saw Orange Fishie being stuck in the window of the cave. He came in through the back door, trying to get out throw the front window instead the front door. That window is too small though and only his head made it through, he was stuck like Winnie the Pooh!

Sucky Fishie loves her cave. Every time I remove it for one or another reason, she gets so upset and searches for it in the spot where it should be. She likes the piece of driftwood, but hiding in on the cave ceiling makes her most comfortable. Not that she is shy, she even comes out a lot at day time to keep the tank glass and rocks clean but she definitely likes her privacy.

Spicey

since: August 2010

size: 3.5 inches

Spicey is a funny one. She is so food addicted that she makes Hugo look like an elegant princess when eating. Her mouth seems abnormally large for her size, but maybe that's just an illusion. Still she is not aggressive towards the other fish.

Whenever I get close to the tank she gets very hyper, hoping for food. She wiggles around so much, it looks like she can't make up her mind if she should go left or right :D If any of you have seen the first Dr. Dolittle movie with Eddie Murphy, do you remember the hyper dog that wanted Dr. Dolittle to throw the ball? Spicey is the fish version of that dog when it comes to food.

She likes to hang out with all the other fish, sometimes she swims with Hugo and Orange Fishie, sometimes she chills with the telescopes. I like how I can see that her body is starting to get a bit rounder, I just wonder when her wen will start developing.

Spicey also loves playing in the bubbles from the bubble wand, swiming back and forth in it.

Chibi

since: September 2010

size: 2.5 inches

Chibi is the tiniest fish I have, and due to that kind of the cutest. She definitely is the BABY in my tank. Sometimes the current makes it hard for her to swim against it, but she never gives up. Although Blacky Fishie mostly keeps to herself, Chibi started to hang out with her a lot. She seems very curious and likes to watch me and the other fish. At those occasion she hovers in one spot, dorsal fin straight up and literally keeps her eyes on the other fish or me. That reminds me of a puppy that is trying to understand what its owner is doing. Just like Blacky Fishie she is not very shy at all. Even though she has a nice round mouth I still hand feed her so Spicey doesn't suck up all the food on the surface.

Vanille

since: October 2010

size: 4 inches

Vanille just moved in yesterday and is still in quarantine. Although she is overall longer than Spicey, her body seems a tiny bit smaller than Spiceys, because Vanille's tail is very long and flowing.

I can't tell a lot about her personality yet since I only have her for 24 hours now, but she is quite active.

At first she was depressed in her quarantine tank and spent half her time bottom sitting. Since I pepped up her hospital tank with a plant, river rocks and a flower pot she seems like an all different fish. She is particularly fascinated with the bubble stone and likes to swim straight down towards it. Well, at least she tries to

I think she misses other fish, after all she was in the LFS tank with other fish for almost a month, and never alone. I bet she is going to be so excited when she moves into the large tank!

Edited by Oerba Yun Fang

I love my fishies so much!

Today it is one week that Vanille is living here with me. I am SO happy that she is not bottom sitting at all anymore, this really worried me the first two days.

In fact, she turned out to be quite active and curious. She doesn't let me hand feed her, but she comes closer to my finger every day.

Sure, I am kind of disappointed that she is most likely not a ryukin. Why? Because I saw a photo of this ryukin online and fell in love with it, and was hoping that Vanille would turn out to look similar, since her coloring is quite similar to this fish:

http://www.peaceofparadise.net/images/ryukin.jpg

But even as a fantail she is going to be so gorgeous! And I am also very much sure it is a girl as I can see a tiny knob on her vent. But that also means that Spicey and Chibi are most likely girls too because I can see little knobs. Which means Orange Fishie is the only boy. He's "The Man" in the tank and has his little harem :D

Spicey is starting to get rounder. I begin to see the oranda shape and I think the skin on her head is getting a bit thicker and darker. Maybe she finally decides to grow a wen, my threat about the painted cotton ball siliconed to her forehead probably motivated her!

I'm also curious about the color change she is going through. It is so hard to tell what color these scales are as there are only a few yet. No bigger patches of new color, just inbetween her other scales.

The new scales look white, light turquoise or light yellow, depending on the angle of light. And still very metallic shiny.

Her head is so big! There is a lot more space between her eyes than the other fish have, aside from the telescopes of course, and it makes her eyes look small. LOL But her mouth is really big. Go figure.

D'aw, I just read all that and now I'm all squee~~ I hope your fish continue to thrive and be happy!! Good luck on a new epic tank too. :heart

She could possibly still be a ryukin but not of the best quality or a mix with a fantail maybe. Maybe it'll take time for her hump do grow in :D Don't worry~

:heart What we need is more pics of the little dears :D

I agree. I still think she has a bit of ryukin in her.

I agree. I still think she has a bit of ryukin in her.

She might have. I was at pet$mart yesterday and checked out their young ryukins, and they all had the same shape as Vanille. Only difference is that Vanille looks larger overall because of her being 50% tail ALREADY. She grew a bit since I got her and you can still tell.

But this makes her look larger than she is; her body is only 2 inches long, so she is still quite small.

I'm not worrying about it anymore, either way she is a beautiful, lovely fish.

I love being able to see all three tanks from the computer desk. I haven't fed the fish yet today, and they seem hungry. Almost all of the ones in the 55 tank are picking through the gravel, looking for anything edible. I'm defrosting some gel food right now, but before feeding I want to clean the quarantine tank, it's due for its water change.

Even Sucky Fishie is out today, feeding on the algae on the big river rocks. I really think she likes those rocks as it makes it easier for her to get the algae. Right now Hugo is swimming back and forth above the buble wand, she really likes this thing. I'm thinking about getting two more bubble wands, placing them about an inch away from each other, so all three bubble wands make a 3 inch wide bubble wall for the fish to swim through and play in, as it seems all of them enjoy this very much, including Sucky Fishie.

It is SO funny, now Hugo is starting to come up when I hand feed the fancies. Not pushing anyone away though, just slowly coming up and hoping to get a fingertip full of soaked pellets shoved into her mouth.

I tried getting a good look at Vanille's vent today to make sure if she is girl or not. It was hard to tell, but I'm not sure if I really saw a knob or not. If she turns out to be a boy, I need to change her name. Vanille is kind of a really... "bad" name for a boy. Maybe she'll be a Wakka then. He.

Today I also added the rest of the Nutrafin Cycle to the filter. The water looks so much better, so much clearer! It makes me so happy :)

My hubby and I just cracked up. This afternoon one of the fish dug the plants out, and I haven't put them back in yet. So before Hugo started eating them, had one long leaf all the way in her mouth and I had to go over and take it away from her.

Two minutes later I look over and see her doing the same thing again, having that leaf so far down her mouth that I was surprised it didn't already come out of her rear end. My hubby looked over at her at the same time and I said out loud AWW COME OOON!

Hugo must have heard me because she instantly froze, even stopped chewing on the leaf and had her dorsal raised up, only her eyes shifted over to me as I got up.

It was SO hilarious. I know it was just coincidence because she doesn't understand that I don't want her eating the plant, but the way she froze and stopped chewing and only shifted her eyes back at me she looked like a puppy that just got caught being naughty.

That look on her face was so UH-OH I wish I had this on film.

:whatjust:

:rofl That would have been awesome if it were on film. :rofl But I have the mental image in my head. Maybe get her an extra serving of anacharis to stop these naughty tendencies. Or duckweed, that might distract her :rofl

It is funny because they usually never eat this type of plant. But since the snails moved to the tropical tank, a thin layer of algae grew on them. The pleco doesn't care for this plant and the algae on it either, probably because the leaves are so thin.

Maybe Hugo was trying to suck the algae off it LOL

I put a big slice of cucumber in though to satisfy her need for veggies, and this morning there is a hole in the middle of it big enough to have Chibi swim through. Oh, and of course the cucumber is now floating, still attached to the veggie clip. Those beast ripped of the FRICKIN' veggie clip. LOL

So after three weeks of quarantine and no signs of any problems I decided to add Vanille to the main tank. This was a couple days ago.

Again I was amazed over the behavior of the new fish.

The thing is all my little fish feel ridiculously comfortable around Hugo. You should have seen Vanille when I added her to the tank! Just like Spicey and Chibi before her, she wiggled after Hugo. I even took video of that.

It's like Hugo must give off this MOMMY vibe or something because the little ones ALWAYS follow her around the first couple days until they feel more comfortable in the big tank. And it really amazes me how gentle she is with the little ones. She figured out what hand feeding means and so she comes up to the surface too sometimes and waits patiently to get a few pellets shoved into her mouth, but she always stays a bit away from the little ones, while on the other hand Spicey tries to shove everyone else out of her way. Greedy Oranda is greedy.

Vanille's doing great in the big tank. She loves all the room. The only "bad" thing happening so far is that when I was working until 11:30 pm again my hubby decided to feed the fish - which is a lovely gesture.

The thing is though that he fed my goldis the big floating pellets that his angelfish gets :doh11:

And when I came home Vanille was floaty. Not too bad, she could swim down the 20 inches to the bottom of the tank, but as soon as she held still she was taking off like a slow rocket. Honestly, it cracked me up. A couple times she did a somersault when trying to look for food scraps on the bottom of the tank. I was so torn between AWWW MY POOR BABY and OMG THIS IS KINDA CUTE LOL

It really didn't bother her too much though. Today she's already fine again.

The only fish related "worry" I got right now is that I find hardly any poop in Banana's QT tank. Not that she got fed a whole lot, but Vanille was pooping like a world champion. Banana had about... 10 saki hikari pellets, 1/3 pea and one big floating tropical pellet ( :doh11: ) and I found only two thing poopies within the last three days.

Again, I don't know if this filter is just sucking it all up already. It is a small in-tank whisper filter for 10 gallons. If she pooped near it I wouldn't be surprised if it sucked it right in because the only poop I find is in the corner on the other side of the tank, trapped behind the little glass pot which Banana likes to play with.

Anyway, I'm downloading some videos from my camera right now to post them on here. Unfortunately this computer is old and I have to download one video at a time or it won't work and then it takes me FOREVER to format them and forever to upload them to photobucket. So be patient, guys!

So Banana already moved in with the others. I know it might be somewhat risky, but with all the bad things we know about Pet$mart I again have to say how much I love the Pet$mart where I live. The store is clean, the cages and tanks are very clean considering they usually only have one person work the fish section at a time and they have so many tanks.

And I never ever got a sick fish from there; all the ones from this LFS are super healthy. I have also only ever seen one sick goldfish there, a floaty ryukin but now I know that they tend to do that. Of course their tanks are crowded but still in great condition.

Anyway, I had never even quarantines a Petsm@rt fish before and never had problems, so I decided to give it a try.

It is her third day in the big tank now and everything is perfectly fine :)

She seems to be keeping more to herself though, unlike the other little ones that were added before her. It seems like Vanille and Spicey hang out together a lot, just like Chibi and Blacky Fishie, although with these two it is more that Chibi follows Blacky Fishie while BF just does whatever she wants.

Instead, Banana seems to like staring at me and showing me her belly.

When she sees me, she swims along the glass begging for food, in an almost upright position because she just HAS to be as close as possible :lol

I sure know I will need a bigger tank. The main "problem" are the single tails. Not that they cause any trouble but I they just do need more room than the fancies. The tank would be perfectly fine without these two, but I just don't want to get rid of them. I love Hugo and Orange Fishie so much. Orange Fishie's color seems to have become more intensive since she is eating Saki Hikari. She is still lighter colored than Chibi, but the difference is not as big anymore. Orange Fishie is now about as deep orange as Chibi is in the signature, and Chibi got a bit deeper in orange as well.

As mentioned in another thread I changed the setup of the tank a bit, a 10 gallon/80gph HOB Filter with a long tube extension is now taking care of waste directly from the sleeping corner of the tank. There's hardly any poop over there now.

I also put the 10 gallon/90pgh in tank whisper filter from the hospital tank in the big tank. Soon I will get another Whisper EX70 which will replace the 10 gallon in tank whisper which I will then move over to the tropical tank.

Anyway, back to the overstocked by 2 goldfish issue:

I want to get a 125 gallon tank minimum next time I upgrade. I have 5 fancies and 2 single tails, and 1 pleco in the 55 gallons, and I (my hubby) also have (has) the 20 gallon tropical tank with 1 angel fish, 1 rubberlip pleco and 2 platys and dwarf gouramis each.

WhenI get the 125 gallon (or larger), what should I do then? I was originally thinking of moving all the goldfish in the 125, the tropicals back into the 55 and leave the pleco in the 55 with the other tropicals.

But now I am thinking about separating the single tails from the fancies instead and leaving the tropicals in the 20. But I don't know... I'm sure especially the angelfish misses the 55 gallon room and I wonder if adding another angelfish as buddy for her wouldn't be wonderful as she seems bored a lot of times :undecided:

Either way, I will have to get a male goldfish as I think it reduces the risk of getting eggbound for the girls. If I divide them, I would have to get two male fish. That means the fancy tank will be slightly overstocked with 6 fancies in 55 gallons. Unless I would move Vanille and Spicey in with the single tails. Both of them - especially Spicey - got no problem getting their share of food, so the single tails wouldn't be competition in a 125 gallon tank. There I could add at least one male fish then. I know single tails are not so much suggested for inside but I always wanted to get a Sarasa Comet. Maybe one that basically has the same coloring as a redcap oranda.

Or maybe a nice looking Watonai or Wakin or Jikin or even an interestingly colored Common :D

That would leave only three fancies in the 55 gallon and I could easily add a boy there, some gorgeous boy from GFC :D

But then I'd feel bad about the angelfish in the 20 gallon again. I'm sure the five small fish feel perfectly happy in there, but Laura seems lonely and bored sometimes. Then again I'm not sure if I really want to get into keeping tropical fish, adding a new tropical fish then to keep her company.. you know where I'm getting?

And then I'd have to get a larger tank to keep the tropicals in and I am really not sure if I want to do that.

Anyway: I'm so happy and excited about how my fish greet me after I just came home after work. Even Banana was all extatic wanting to seem and me feeding them :) :) :) :)

I'm not sure what the best advice is because I know literally nothing about tropicals. But I tend to like the idea of seperating the fancies from the commons. The biggest thing here is to let your nitrates be your guide as to you stocking issues. And keep up those extra water changes. :testkit:

Luckily my params are very good due to the many water changes. The thing is though that I especially want a longer tank for the single tails, but keeping 2 single tails in like 125 gallons while the fancies are in the 55 seems a bit off to me, which is the reason why I was considering adding Spicey and Vanille to the single tails. They're both very good at finding food for themselves. Spicey is such a pig, she actually pushes big Hugo out of the way :rofl

Even Banana has no problem in the 55 gallon tank to get her food, it is only the telescopes that are at a disadvantage if I don't fed them separate.

Anyway, last night I really noticed how much Vanille changed since I got her. Her body is getting fuller and rounder and even the hump looks a bit more pronounced. The tail grew like crazy. I posted a comparision photo in the photo section, unfortunately bad quality but still good enough to really show the difference.

I also made another batch of gel food and this one the fish like so much more. I wanted to make some with Helen's recipe, but I couldn't find some of the ingredients yet. So I made some with tuna, peas, carrots, soaked saki hikari, wheat germ and a whole garlic clove. This time the stuff didn't come out as floating food at all, but nice solid sinking pieces, and the goldis LOVE it. I think it is the garlic in it. They are so crazy for it, that makes me happy. Hugo ripped off a piece so huge that she was chewing on it for 15 minutes, spreading nice little bite sized shreddings all over the tank, so the little fish followed her around and picked up what she dropped. It was hilarious, reminded me of a mammal pre-chewing food for her babies XD

Yesterday on craigslist I found someone selling this:

50 gallon aquarium (actually a 55 gallon tank!)

48" 2-bulb light fixture

Americale wet/dry filter system (good for up to 125 gallon tank) and bio-balls.(will need new overflow box)

Emperor Aquatics 18 watt UV sterilizer

Rio 2100 pump

Power Head 201 pump

$50 for everything.

which I will be picking up tomorrow morning :D

Originally I wanted this mainly for the UV sterilizer but of course started to thinking about using the tank too. I thought about dividing my goldfish to give them more room but my hubby would like to use it for his tropicals.

At first I was all :o but honestly, he is right. When I got this 55g tank that I am using right now it came with a hand full of tropicals, remember? They ended up crammed into the old 20g tank, which offers them more room than it did for the goldis, but still is a lot less room than what they are used to.

So now the angelfish, rubberlip pleco, two platies and two dwarf gouramis will go into the new 55 gallon tank, but I will move the common pleco and the two apple snails out of my goldfish tank and in with the tropicals. There is enough room for all of them, and so there will be more room in my tank, plus I don't need to worry about the common pleco and the goldis.

I am actually quite excited about it now because I'm sure Sucky Fishie will like the warmer water more. I will move her cave, driftwood and some of the river rocks in there, the ones that have the most algae on them. This will also significantly reduce the waste in the goldfish tank, considering that common plecos and apple snails poop quite a lot. I will still keep up with my doubled water changes as the tank will still be overstocked. As said, I was hoping to move the two single tails into the new tank so my goldis wouldn't be overstocked anymore, but hubby is also right about the tropicals being in the smaller tank. They lost their home TO my goldfish when I bought the tank, so I still owe these fish a bigger tank.

We'll also get all new gravel for them as their current gravel is eww. Full of brown algae, plus it is the epoxy coated stuff that starts looking not so pretty anymore as the epoxy is slowly coming off.

If the worst thing happen that for whatever weird reason I can't keep the water params in the goldfish tank under control with the two goldis too many, I will probably move the two tiny goldfish, Chibi and Banana, into the now empty 20 gallon tank until I can get my ultimate huge tank. :)

I just got done tying all the live plants from the tropical tank to river stones and the driftwood. Whenever the new tank is ready, I will change a bunch of things. I know the fish kept digging out the plants but the gravel is only a quarter inch deep, so it didn't take much. From floating the amazon swords got quite deformed, so I just took them all out, cut off all the leaves that started turning brown, and tied them all to river rocks, and three of them to the piece of driftwood from the goldfish tank, since this will be moved to the tropical tank with the pleco and the snails.

That way the plants can start to straighten up for whenever the fish will move.

I will move all the river stones from the goldfish tank into the tropical tank to give the plecos a head start with algae, and the pleco's cave and the driftwood will go too, which will leave me with a complete bare goldfish tank.

That will give me the opportunity to turn it into a nice, artsy goldfish tank; I will get one of those shallow decorative glass bowls from Michael's and put glass pebbles in it. I'll eventually get different colors to change things around, but for now I will go with blue and clear, matching the icy winter theme I got going on at the moment :)