Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Jmoya

Fish In Plastic Containers?!?

10 posts in this topic

I was searching the internet for cheap tanks and a site said that said fish cold be kept in a plastic tank?!? What? I thought plastic leached out toxic chemicals into water. I mean if its safe why doesnt everyone use plastic instead of expensive glass or arcilic. Am i right or off my rocker. I have on clue.

Many people use those storage containers as temporary tanks or hospital tanks. You can get them from a few gallons up to gigantic! The trouble is you can only see your fish from the top.....which is fine for short term use. But a glass aquarium allows you to really observe your fishes!! Plus they look nicer for long term arrangements!!

So are they toxic. Could i use a gigantic one as a pond? Im not kidding i thought they were toxic

i think most ppl use plastic lining for ponds.. i don't see why you can't.. you should probably go to the diy section for ponds and get a better idea from the loads of information they have there. good luck with your pond.. start a new thread and keep us updated.. we're all sticky beaks.. :)

Be careful about colored plastic. Clear, colorless plastic is least likely to leech toxins at harmful levels and many kinds of clear rubbermaids have been used successfully to home goldies safely.

Yes though, some plastics do leech. Phenolic compounds are in all plastic. Some kinds of plastics release these compounds (PCBs) when they are in contact with water over a sustained period of time.

PCBs are found in fish tissue round the world from plastic bags unthinking peeps have dropped in the ocean..PCBs are found in human tissue from clingfilm plastics used in microwaves and so on. Most of the bad effects of PCBs go into the reproductive system of the fish, so exposure can affect breeding potential.

But these results and concerns are usually ones for prolonged, permanent situations and for short-term QT purposes most people find plastic tubs useful and without longterm affect.

I am wary of plastic plants as these are permanent decorations in some tanks and despite being called 'aquarium safe' have been known to leech phenolic compounds.

One more think to note is plastic cracks after a very long period of usage especially when under the sun. The other thing is clear plastic are stronger and more lasting than colored ones.

You can get a huge stock tank for 65 dollars at tractor/feed stores. It is very thick plastic, size of big bathtub. I wish you could take mine! Long story.

Edited by Texana

The reason most people buy tanks instead of using plastic is cause they look better in our homes and they make viewing the fish easier and more fun. And it is on a stand and not the floor. Also the plastic tends to bow on the sides.

There are many things you can use to keep fish in like gardon pots.... that look good outdoors. I have been thinking of buying a huge garden pot someday for a goldie or two but don't think I would spend much time out side looking at it. Most of our year around here is just not any fun to be outside. Much to hot.

So plastic is safe. Wow! I think ill get one to use as a hospital tank and sorry im not actually building a pond. It was just a way of asking he they are safe. I have on intention of breeding my goldies so plastic shoute be fine.

I have not keep fish in plastic containers before but I do have a few red ear slider turtles in it with 1 for almost 10 years without any issue at all. So I can say it is safe. If you can find those with PET code which is a type of plastic for storing food, its the best if you are still worried.