Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
ashlee18

The Rantings Of A Fish Addict

82 posts in this topic

I figured I would start a blog. Why not lol

I too got my first goldie at a fair. He lived for a week in his one gallon bowl. My grandmother lived with us and one of her friends said to feed it less often. So we got another one and he died two days later. They were probably commons and I was seven at the time. Three years later my brother and I decided to try fish again. My dad had two ten gallons, one with guppies and one with our two fantails. The tank sprung a leak and my dad went out and bought us two two gallon hex tanks with an airstone. Needless to say, I killed my brother's fish by accidentally unplugging the air pump and he did the same to mine in retaliation. My parents told us that if we wanted more fish we had to pay ourselves, since they were tired of us killing their money. My brother decided that fish were too much work but I got another goldie. I picked out a feeder fish since I was ten and poor. This fish lived in my two gallon hex with very little water changes for seven years. He had a very nice flowing tail but was very stunted. When he passed I decided to let the fish go until I was settled in college.

Once in the dorms my roomie and I decided to get a betta. We moved out of the dorms a year later and I brought over my dads two tens. We went to the lfs and asked what fish could go in what. The employee sold us two angelfish and three goldies. One goldie died immediately while the other fish lived for a year. After my sophomore year, I moved back home after my roomie's bf moved in. I brought the fish with me and upgraded the angels to my brother's old 20. They spawned for the first time in May 2009 and I became addicted to angels. I bought a 55 for a grow out tank and did some research on them. I learned that they could not be in anything smaller than a 20. Finding out that the lfs employee gave us the wrong information, I looked up info on goldfish. I found out that the two fantails were way stunted and not living a happy life in their ten. I found a place to rehome them but they came down with ich soon before they were to leave. Sadly neither made it.

In a year I went from my one 55, one 20 and two tens to two 55s, four 20s, three 10s, one 3 and several 2.5s. I became addicted to bettas and converted my tens into divided and spawning tanks. I sold all of my juvie angels and most of my adults. I kept five adults in three different tanks and had a 55 empty. I saw on another forum a members cute pearlscale goldfish. I fell in love with goldfish through their blog. I knew right then and there that I had to do some research for my soon to be new buddies.

I bought a pearlscale first, the last one at the store. Then a black moor and an oranda the next day. A week after quarantine they went into their newly renovated 55. A week after that I searched high and low for the final two members of the tank. I went to the only lfs store near me and they had a large assortment of goldies, none of them healthy. I pointed out some ammonia burns on the fish and the owner dismissed me. Then I went to Pet*co for dog and cat food, didn't like their prices or fish and went to Pets*mart and found my ryukin. I went home and had him floating when I called the store I got my first pearlscale and they said they just got six in. I rushed over and found my fifth and final goldie.

Woohoo!

Well I am an official member of the dragon bubbles anonymous club lol I had to get one...*cough* or two. And my fish like them more than the bubble wand. A small pearlscale and an 18in bubble wand don't go well together. The only standing one at nnnn had a broken toe so I got it for $18 instead of $25. I'm going to let them go for a couple of weeks and make a decision on if I want to stuff them with sand or not.

Also, I was given a goldie today. So now I have one too many :undecided: And I love them all. Want to know the crazy story behind this fish?

I know you do! So there is a fair in town. Doesn't it always start like that? Well my boyfriend, Kellen, brought his daughter (not my child) to it yesterday night. They of course have that stupid game where you try to get the ping pong ball into the small bowls and you win a fish. So my bf's daughter, Dani, decided that she NEEDED a goldfish at the age of five. Kellen tried his best, or so he says, to talk her out of it. Tried tempting her with a squishy stuffed animals at the next booth but he was powerless against her (what father isn't? I got my dad wrapped around my little finger too). So he won her the "stupid" fish but she wasn't happy. Apparently if you win once you get a common, if you win five times you can trade in your commons for a fancy. She needed the fancy, not the common. Needless to say, he won the fancy for her. One thing he wouldn't argue about was which fish they walked away with. The man working the booth was told which fish and said, "Very nice. The one with the black tail." To which Kellen replied, "No the one with the ammonia burns." I forgot to mention that he keeps fish as well, but not goldfish. The fish were kept in bags for the whole day. This fish was lucky that they were there at 12pm, right when it opened so he wasn't sitting in the 95 degree heat all day. I can't imagine the amount of fish that didn't make it. I will be going over there tomorrow to try and cry my way into them shutting it down. I am very good at crying and getting my way :whatjust:

That is where I come in. I was told to come over today and take the fish. Kellen tried to bring it the lfs but they wouldn't because of the ammonia burns. He was forced to buy a bowl for a temporary house until I came over. He can't keep the fish because he isn't even allowed to have his 300 gallon oscar tank in his apartment lol And he knows that goldfish, much like oscars, need lots of room to themselves and he can't give that to the fish. I'm traded him one of my betta fry to keep his girl happy.

So I went over today to take it. It looks like a red ryukin with ammonia burns on his fins. He also is missing an anal fin. But is bigger than my current ryukin. I stole it while Dani wasn't looking and ran out of the room with water running down the front of my shirt. Unluckily for the onlookers, it wasn't a white t-shirt lol Right now the little guy is floating in my 20 gallon qt tank. I hope he doesn't have anything that might hurt the fish currently in qt...But I didn't have a choice. He will get prazied today, immediately. My other fish seem very interested in him.

Hopefully after I get him healed up a bit I can get him rehomed. He might stay with me for a while because he is so cute. Right now, his name is Jimmy because he is slightly handicapped with that missing fin. I should get a larger tank and one more named Timmy!

Well that's it for now, rant over.

I am finally able to get back into the blogs lol

Reading back I noticed that I never shared the names of my fish.

Pearlscales - Stan and Kyle

Moor - Butters

Ryukin - Cartman and Jimmy

Oranda - Kenny

Butters passed from dropsy which I didn't notice for several days. I still feel awful about what happened to my beloved black moor. I can't imagine getting another one to replace him. Then Jimmy, the extremely floaty Ryukin, was put out of his misery when he stopped eating for two weeks. Then Stan passed from getting stuck in a plant :( This all happened in a period of two months. My bf, being the lovable retard that he is, purchased for me a panda telescope before Butters died. He thought that Butters was dead so he wanted to help. Butters did pass and since my tank was overstocked, I kept the panda telescope by herself. She looked so lonely so I went back to the lfs and purchased her sister. Even though they are both girls, I named them Butters II and Clyde to continue the South Park trend. Then Jimmy and Stan passed. Since none of the fish had been treated with the correct schedule of prazi, I added Butters and Tweek to the big tank and started their treatment. During a large water change I noticed that Butters' scales look a bit raised. I immediately came here for advice and started her on treatment for dropsy. Then, I rescued two pearlscales from my friend. She bought them for her 5 year old son and had them in a 5.5 gallon tank. They are both crown pearlscales and one seems to be a chocolate.

During all of this I moved in with my bf and his daughter to a really cute house. He brought along his custom made 300 gallon oscar tank. He has three oscars that are 7+ years old. They are getting picky in their old age and only want live foods. Well Dani, his daughter, and I are not too keen about the idea of them getting feeder fish so he is going to rehome them with his dad. This means that the 300 is going to be available soon and I'll probably get my way and make it an all goldie tank. Can you imagine ten large goldies in that thing!

So the crew now

Pearlscales:

- Tiku - Stan

- Crowns - Wendy and Clyde

Oranda - Kenny

Ryukin - Cartman

Panda Telles - Tweek and Butters

and then 3 more in the future and we are done. That's it for now :)

I had a few typos in my last post. Kyle is the remaining Tiku pearlscale and Clyde is indeed the crown pearlscale and not the tele. The two teles are a hoot and tweek fits the bigger one perfectly.

well the bf and I talked ourselves out of giving up the oscars. A week ago I put up an add on craigslist saying I was looking for a large tank, 100 gallons or more. Well yesterday I got an email about a 180 gallon tank complete with everything except the filters. The owner is in North Carolina so I wasn't too keen about going up to get it but he said that since he answered my ad, that he would drive it down and unload it for me (I will be helping of course :P). So I get the tank and will be paying for gas all for $400. It is 6' X 2' X 2'. I could literally lay down in it and still have half a foot of leg room :P I am so excited.

The fish going into it will be the Cartman, Kenny, Tweek and Butters II. Then Stan, Clyde and Wendy will all be going into a 30 gallon since Kyle isn't a good swimmer. So I'll only have 4 fish in the 180 :o I want another oranda, an all white one which I will most likely not find, and then I will be stalking the auctions and rain garden. I think I want 8 to 10 in the big tank.

I'll also have some tanks to sell once the big one is set up, if anyone is interested. I'll probably have 3 20 gallon tanks and maybe the 55. The 55 will not have filters since they are going onto the 180. I'm north of Atl in Georgia.

I can't wait to see pictures of the big tank once it is all set up!

Thanks :) It will probably be a while since I have to talk some people into moving it for me lol And my b-day is the same month so I have car registration and new phone to pay for. I'm asking for some filters or UV sterilizers for my b-day but someone will probably buy me a new phone instead. So I have to wait until around then to find out what they are not getting me lol

I found my almost all white oranda after searching four different lfs. I got him and two other orandas at the same place I got Kenny and Cartman. They are named Stan II, Mr. Mackey and Ike. Mr. Mackey is headstanding now and also beginning to show some signs of dropsy :(

My other dropsy fish, Butters II, was doing great and then popped again. A couple of weeks ago her sister Tweek went head first into the filter intake, chasing food with her horrible eyesight, got stuck and went from being depressed to down right SUPER depressed. I put her into the qt tank with Butters and they both perked right up. Jump to the present, Butters II was ready to go back into the big tank but I had to wait 3 days to end her medicated food cycle. The next day she popped :(

But some good news, I moved Wendy and Clyde into the big tank with Kenny, Cartman and Kyle. I also went ahead and moved Tweek back into the tank so her sister can have the tank to herself. So far Tweek is doing well with all the other fish in the tank. I think she might not be as depressed since there are five others instead of three.

Hopefully they won't have to be in the 55 for too long and I can get the 180 set up asap. It should be ready around the same time Stan II and Ike finish their qt. I'll keep Mr. Mackey alone for a little while longer.

You know what???? I don't have any pics of them yet. I'll take some of the whole group tomorrow and update.

Sounds totally awesome, ashlee! Can't wait to see it! And get some more telescopes! ;)

good going ashlee18, i bet you're soooo excited.. love the blog btw!..

Nice blog, and nice story! I can't wait to see the photos of your fish!

Well things didn't go as planned, they never do right?

I have lost 3 goldies since my last post. Mr. Mackey never over came his pet shop horrors and passed less than a week after I got him. Stan and Ike however are doing great. Then Tweek passed from what some suspect could be gill disease. Her gills were pretty clear/translucent after her death. And then Wendy passed from dropsy?? Although she had weird red dots on her belly and a bubble on her but. She had red streaking on her chin that I noticed only after she died, so I don't know if that happened before or after she left us. With my frustration, I moved the remaining four, Kenny, Cartman, Kyle and Clyde into a 20 with about 500 gph filtration until the 180 is set up. I tore down, and sanitized the living day lights out of the 180. I also invested in a 36 watt Jebo UV sterilizer. And I am currently bidding on 3 GFC fish but am considering another.

At this moment I am pretty much high as a kite after painting the 180. It says on the paint label, use in a high ventilation area but I painted in the garage. Since it is raining, I kept the door down :P I'll be posting pictures in my other thread in a day or two. I painted the back of the tank black to make the fish POP. Then I noticed it looked pretty tacky since the trim and stand are brown. So I sanded and painted the stand and trim as well. When painting, I noticed a few problems with the stand. It is homemade :( Which wouldn't be a problem but a lot of short cuts were made. One is that they nailed all of the plants in instead of screwing them in. So I'll have to go behind them and screw everything in for extra safety (three of them have already come off). Some screws for the cabinet have been stripped and required the use of pure genius to get them out. Plus the hardware was just UGLY. It also interested me that not one of the screws was the same as another, like the person just had a collection at home that they used. And a puppy chewed on one of the doors. Luckily, the pain should hide most of the flaws in the wood. I'm hoping it wont hurt that I also painted the trim near the top. Thursday we are moving it into its final spot and the cleaning process will begin. I hope to get it all set up by Sunday and then move the fish in soon. I'm wondering what process to do it in though. I'm thinking I will put the new GFC fish into it first and then add my guys later.

And today my bf was doing a great job making me hate him (well I couldn't really do that). A couple of nights ago I kept him up while watching Haunted shows. I didn't do it on purpose but have a habit of screaming, "Get out of there now! Don't go toward the noise! And for the love of god, TURN AROUND!" and I was doing that at 4am. So he told me that the man that made the stand would not be happy with the fact that I don't like his stand and have been making so many changes to it. So now the man's spirit will haunt me, not him but me alone. Nice guy isn't he.

I tore down, and sanitized the living day lights out of the 55.

Well I accidentally painted the tank to the stand, so while we were prying them apart my dad looked at the stand. It doesn't have any braces...or legs for that matter...it is literally a shell. So my dad, brother, bf and I all sat on the stand and did a sort of butt wiggle motion, (do you have a good visual going?) and it shook and groaned like crazy. My dad isn't crazy about the idea of the tank since it is going into one of his houses, but he can't so no to me. Yes...I am spoiled. I had work off today so my dad came over. He had a whole diagram drawn up on how we are going to rebuild the inside of this thing. So off to Lowes we went. He picked out the wood, nails, feet like thingies (To keep the tank off the floor for when I spill water all over. We don't need it getting soggy :P) and I picked out handles for the door lol My xterra isn't large enough for the wood so I had to drive super careful to keep the wood from going through the windshield. We got the new legs made and two brackets on each side to keep them from sliding apart from each other. We were going to put in the two remaining braces, to keep it from twisting, but I couldn't feel my fingers anymore. He also has plans to put in a shelf. It is really cute to see him so excited about this :P He doesn't get excited over much. We will have the stand done next week. And I did a really bad job painting the whole thing. I have to give it a 3rd coat.

Wow...its been a while here. I'll update on some stuff later but felt like sharing this.

I just nearly had a heart attack...So I have in the span of two weeks combined my three tanks into one. So nine fish in the 180. I combined the three filters as well. I figured since they were all already seeded, there wouldn't be a problem. I have a very low pH so I've been messing around to try and get it higher. Well I got it from 6.8 to 7.6-7.8. Woot! While testing that last night I figured why not test everything. As expected, nitrites were a nice blue (0) and the nitrates were between 0 and 5. The ammonia on the other hand confused me with the bad lighting. It could have been 0 or it could have been .50. Since I should have gone to bed an hour earlier, I couldn't do a water change and would do it today. I tested it again about an hour ago and it was at 2.0 :0 I immediately freaked out and hooked up the python. Then it occurred to me. I let the tests sit for days at a time in the tubes and I don't rinse them well sometimes so I figured it wouldn't hurt to test it again. It was a nice yellow once again. I'm doing a water change anyway. But ooooh it got my heart racing.

I hate when that happens! And it takes forever to get the staining out. :D Thank goodness everything was alright. I'd be shocked if 9 of those little poopsters manage to make that much of a mess with that much water. :rofl

You haven't seen them eat...or poop :P

We did lose power for several hours and I hoped the cycle didn't die.

I am so glad to know that I am not the only one who leaves the tested liquid in the tube for days until it stains the glass :rofl

Look...I'm not crazy. These two tests were done 5 minutes apart.

Ammonia.jpg

LOLOLOL Mine were never THAT bad though :rofl

Well you can see why I was having temporary heart problems :thud

I figured it was about time to update the fish list.

Chaos - Panda Tele (my absolute favorite spoiled little girl)

Token - New Black Moor (my second favorite and in the 20 gallon qt)

Mr. Mackey and Mr. Garrison - Two Red and white Ranchus

Stan - Lemonhead Oranda

Ike - Blue Oranda

Kyle - Tiku Pearlscale

Cartman - Short Tail Ryukin

Kenny - Red and White Fantail

Clyde - Chocolate/Gold Pearlscale/Oranda mix

and the unnamed ich fish (in the 30 gallon qt)

Red Cap Oranda

Calico Tele (he has two different eye sizes which I LOVE)

And then there are 3 albino long fin bristlenose plecos and 2 regular finned ones.

So the 180 gallon tank is almost completely finished. My canister filter comes in on Wednesday and I will attach the UV sterilizer and the filtration will be done. And when I get my tax return I am going to use what I don't put into savings on a 72 inch light fixture. Ebay is my best friend and I found a 4 bulb t5 light fixture with moon lights included.

The ich fish are also doing well. They recovered from the shipping nicely but the ich took over. I know it is still in the tank but they no longer have any white spots. Two days after they were settled in, they spawned. The red cap is the female and her fins were beat to h-e-double hockey sticks :P But the holes are healing now too. They still are a little timid but they will be healthy and happy soon. I can't wait to get them and Token into the big tank. QT is killing me but I know it will be more than worth it.

fantastic blog :Congrats:

And I would love a 180 gal. Maybe later when we renovate the barn :yeah:

Can we have pictures of all the fish?

Edited by Quasi

I'll do that tomorrow :)

Well Kenny is officially a girl. She had some good looking zig zaggy egg poop today. so far, Token is the only male.

So an update!

Token has been added into the big tank. He is being a perfect gentleman, except for around feeding time when he rams his head up the butts of all the girls. I think he just gets so excited and forgets his manners.

The ich fish never made it through their ordeal. They passed exactly one week after I received them.

because they passed I went back to Ken's auction and purchased two ranchus and a ryukin. They ended up being all boys (yay!) and arrived in perfect condition. I put them all into a temporary 30 gallon qt. They were so skiddish and afraid of anyone that went near the tank. I was sitting in a room behind the tank when I noticed the ryukin cornering the black ranchu and pecking him :o So I removed the ryukin and put him into the big tank. Since the fish are from Ken, I'm not worried about adding him so soon. I'll also be getting another butterfly from him soon.

Also, my crown pearlscale developed popeye and possibly dropsy. He has recovered but I'll probably rehome him. I can't put him back into the big tank because I'm too afraid of dropsy in the tank. And it is too hard to tell if a pearlscale has dropsy or not. It might sound mean, but its just not something I cannot deal with again. I'll keep Kyle though, my tiku pearlscale, since he is one of three of my original goldfish.

Everyone else is fine and dandy. And Chaos is going through her color change. Half of the front of her face is black and half white. I should try and get a pic of it.

Ok, since my final fish has arrived I thought it would be a good time to update the fish list.

Chaos - Panda Butterfly (f)

Mint Berry Crunch (MBC) - Red and White Butterfly (m)

Token - Blackmoor (m)

Jimmy - Black Ranchu (m)

Timmy - Kirin Ranchu (m)

Mr. Garrison and Mr. Mackey - Red and White Ranchus (f)

Craig - Black and White Ryukin (m)

Kenny - Fantail (f)

Stan - Lemonhead Oranda (f?)

Ike - Blue Oranda (f?)

Cartman - Calico Ryukin (f?)

Kyle - Tiku Pearlscale (u)