Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Guest scknits

Very Sick Fish Thrashing About

8 posts in this topic

A week or so ago I had an algae outbreak in my tank. Not knowing any better I put in algae killer which did the trick. However, my goldfish became very lethargic and stopped eating. I also noticed red streaks near its eyes and tail. After doing some research online I realized it was suffering from ammonia poisoning so I immediately got it into new water and cleaned out the tank. After I did that he started swimming and eating again but I noticed that one of his gills was definitely damaged from this- it had what looked like an open sore on one side. That has since healed but the gill cover still doesn't look right. I looks sort of frayed and when it opens it looks like there is white stuff blocking the kill. I thought it was maybe just inflamed from the ammonia poisoning but could it be a parasite or bacteria? He's definitely not happy because he is swimming very erratically and sort of thrashes around.

Today I put in some aquarium salt and Lifeguard All-in-one Treatment which is not an antibiotic but says that it attacks a broad range of bacteria, fungus, viruses and parasites. Is there anything I should do at this point? I feel terrible that I caused the little guy to get sick- I guess I have been very ignorant of proper care up until now... Any advice is greatly appreciated!

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think the best thing to do in this situation is to do a very large water change to get those meds out. You can add some salt back in. I think the issue here is that the algae killer was too much for your little fish and it was poisioned. Big water changes and perfect water conditions are what you need here. Did you happen to test your water? What are the results?

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I did test the water after I changed it the other day and everything seems okay now although the water is very soft and I'm sure if that is a big deal or how to change that. But pH, nitrites, alkalinity, chlorine all came out okay.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Any chance you can get us the exact levels please?

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So I posted the other day about my goldfish that had ammonia poisoning. Since the poisoning he has been put in water that is super super clean and has an airstone so he should be getting plenty of oxygen. At first he had what looked like an open sore on the outside of his gill cover but that cleared up. I did also notice, however, that the gill looked almost clogged- like there was something whitish inside blocking the cover from properly opening and closing. Now it seems to have gotten worse and he is in obvious discomfort- thrashing around trying to get whatever it is out from his gill. I don't know if it's maybe dead tissue from an area that was damaged or if it's possibly a parasite. When he breathes you see this little white flap move in and out from the inside of the gill. I feel terrible that I don't know what to do but as I said he is in extremely clean water and I've been giving him salt baths. Should I treat for a parasite? Any info from someone experienced would be great. I really don't know what to do at this point and I feel terrible watching him thrash around in discomfort.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I am going to merge these two threads together it is just easier for us to keep track this way. :)

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Also, we need to know your test result numbers, some meds react very poorly with high ammonia or high ph and we don't want to make a bad situation worse. If you don't own a drop test, your local fish store should be willing to help you out with a free water test just be sure to get the numbers from them.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

For the test that I have it says that:

nitrate: 0ppm

Nitrite: .5 ppm

hardness: very soft

chlorine: 0ppm

alkalinity: 80 ppm

pH: 7.2

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0